First technique

Jdokan

Black Belt
Reaction score
Defense against right punch:
Step left to 10:30, cross left palm, right thrust punch/left thrust punch to ribs, half moon with right foot behind them and take them down with a right whipping palm to their head.....

Kenpo17

Green Belt
Reaction score
The first technique I learned when first starting Kenpo was Five Swords. When I was a white belt, the Kenpo curriculum was different in terms of what techniques you had to learn for each belt. Now you only need to know 15 techniques for every three belts, that is 5 techniques per belt. When I was a white belt, I needed to know 15 just to recieve my yellow belt. Wow, how things have changed. Anyways, yes Five Swords was the first technique I learned and to this day, that is probably the technique I can do best. Although I have not yet learned the extension to it, I have the base technique down really well. Whenever I am on a Demo Team, competing in a techniques competition, I usually pick Five Swords as one of my first techniques to perform.

Bill_Hunsicker

White Belt
Reaction score
I know its a few years out of date, but the first tech I learned was Inward Defense. Not sure what it relates to name wise in other Kenpo branches:

Defense against a front punch:

Step forward, inward block working to the inside of the body with the leading hand.
Hand Sword to the neck with the leading hand
slide back into a cat stance and front snap kick with the leading leg.

Hudson69

Brown Belt
Reaction score
Mine was Delayed Sword and was taught by Tugi Papaliitele (the missing, because I can't find him) in Ogden, Utah.

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
EPAK = Thundering hammers off of 1-2 punch

SKK = dm 6,7,3 and kempo's:
"Circling tigers" , "Basic Snow Leopard", "Destroying the Pillars"

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
Tracy's-mine was "Block and Chop." and the first part of "Kimono Grab" and we had to learn 30 techniques per belt,(not counting A,B,C variations)
and yellow had not yet been added to the system.

TenTigers

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I still cringe when I hear SKK guys say, "Kenpo's" and "Jiu-Jitsu's." Instead of saying, "Kenpo Techniques" (or waza) Why on Earth was that allowed to happen? That's like saying,"Karate's"

shaolinmonkmark

Green Belt
Reaction score
I'm sorry, but I still cringe when I hear SKK guys say, "Kenpo's" and "Jiu-Jitsu's." Instead of saying, "Kenpo Techniques" (or waza) Why on Earth was that allowed to happen? That's like saying,"Karate's"

different strokes for different folks!
LOL!

stone_dragone

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Thunder and Lightning - IKCA curricculum

In EPAK terms, think Sword of Destruction with a right punch at the end instead of a hand sword.

DBZ

Orange Belt
Reaction score
My frist tech was sumo then waterwheel, tracys system

KenpoDave

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I was around before, and then parallel to, for a while, the advent of AK (doesn't make me a "senior guy" in the sense of rank or skill; does make me a senior citizen), so from the days of yore: first taught technique was called The Front Lapel Grab (no mystery there), soon went on to the "Five Count" (5 swords now), which we did a lot of. I have a question for the other senior citizens here: Who remembers the "Wedge"?

I know the "Wedge."

Latest Discussions