First technique

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
WAY TO GO!!! you should be done in about 150 years.
:uhyeah: That's funny., I like it!

Now theoretically speaking......let's see..... 6yrs. for 1 technique. 6yrs. x 153 more techniques. = 918yrs. Hmmm... Since she is in the good hands of a quality instructor I think I have: well... let's just say I'll be dead before then. :)

Excellent job: Gin-Gin

shesulsa

Columbia Martial Arts Academy
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I wanted to ask everyone what was the first technique you learned upon beginning your Kenpo training. I would really like to hear from the senior guys (just interested in what Mr Parker liked to teach first), but everyone please respond. Mine was 5 Swords. Thanks
I studied Sam Pai Kenpo for a while and the first techniques I learned were Stomping Branch and Pinned Stomping Branch.

Ceicei

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
First time I got into American Kenpo in 1985, I believe the first two techniques learned were Delayed Sword and Five Swords (the version with the fingerstrike to the eyes). When I returned to American Kenpo a few years ago and started over, the first technique was Locking Horns. Delayed Sword came next.

- Ceicei

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting,
I wonder why the change? If you follow the W.O.K. Locking Horns shouldn't be in front of Delayed Sword. A front choke vs. a front hand lapel grab. That makes me curious is all. :asian:

distalero

Orange Belt
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
I wanted to ask everyone what was the first technique you learned upon beginning your Kenpo training. I would really like to hear from the senior guys (just interested in what Mr Parker liked to teach first), but everyone please respond. Mine was 5 Swords. Thanks

I was around before, and then parallel to, for a while, the advent of AK (doesn't make me a "senior guy" in the sense of rank or skill; does make me a senior citizen), so from the days of yore: first taught technique was called The Front Lapel Grab (no mystery there), soon went on to the "Five Count" (5 swords now), which we did a lot of. I have a question for the other senior citizens here: Who remembers the "Wedge"?

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
Well I'm not an old guy, but the Wedge is still in the Tracy curriculum.

Lamont

Doc

Senior Master
Reaction score
shane23ss said:
The technique had no name, but it evetually became an interpretation of "Sword and Hammer."

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
In my introductory lesson learned kimono grab and japanese stranglehold, then in my first actual class learned delayed sword!!!!! Wow seems like yesterday!

Donna :ultracool

mj-hi-yah

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Kenpo Mama said:
In my introductory lesson learned kimono grab and japanese stranglehold, then in my first actual class learned delayed sword!!!!! Wow seems like yesterday!

Donna :ultracool
Hey I was there... forgot about that intro lesson...time flies:idunno: eh Donna?

Kenpo Mama

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
mj-hi-yah said:
Hey I was there... forgot about that intro lesson...time flies:idunno: eh Donna?
Sure does ... especially when you're having fun and doing something you love!!!!

Donna :partyon: