First "live" sword

futabachan

White Belt
Reaction score
For fun throw in a jump just to see what Ohmi Sensei, Carol and Sandra have to say about it!

Quote from Ohmi-sensei from a recent class: "That is KABUKI! That is ACTING! That is not iai!"

(For context, the thing he was commenting on did not involve any jumps or twirling or flashiness.)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
MBuzzy be careful with this sword. I caution cutting with it as you do not know it's history, metallurgy, if it is a full tang, etc. Lot's of accidents can happen with cutting if the quality of the sword or the handle is poor. I would have it thoroughly looked over and disassembled before I cut with it.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
MBuzzy be careful with this sword. I caution cutting with it as you do not know it's history, metallurgy, if it is a full tang, etc. Lot's of accidents can happen with cutting if the quality of the sword or the handle is poor. I would have it thoroughly looked over and disassembled before I cut with it.

Thanks for the tip Brian! I already had it looked over before I bought it. The guy I bought it from is a 5th Dan in Japanese sword. I believe his organization is Taikai, but I'm not sure. He showed me how the basics of taking it apart, re-wrapped the handle, etc. It is full tang and I've seen it cut. His studio uses identical swords for cutting practice as well and haven't had any problems. I talked to a bunch of his students to confirm also. I wasnt about to buy a sword that I intend to cut things with without a pretty thorough inspection. Especailly after all the stories of pegs breaking, blades falling out and flying across rooms, etc....

For the low price, I was very impressed with how thorough and caring the guy I bought it from is. He owns a dojo and a martial arts supply store, which specializes in swords. So the dude isn't off the back of a truck and he isn't a joke. Although I still do have to find out the name of the forge...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Brian! I already had it looked over before I bought it. The guy I bought it from is a 5th Dan in Japanese sword. I believe his organization is Taikai, but I'm not sure. He showed me how the basics of taking it apart, re-wrapped the handle, etc. It is full tang and I've seen it cut. His studio uses identical swords for cutting practice as well and haven't had any problems. I talked to a bunch of his students to confirm also. I wasnt about to buy a sword that I intend to cut things with without a pretty thorough inspection. Especailly after all the stories of pegs breaking, blades falling out and flying across rooms, etc....

For the low price, I was very impressed with how thorough and caring the guy I bought it from is. He owns a dojo and a martial arts supply store, which specializes in swords. So the dude isn't off the back of a truck and he isn't a joke. Although I still do have to find out the name of the forge...

Excellent! I am glad you had it inspected and also that you have someone close to you who uses the same sword in their Training Hall!
icon14.gif

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
We'd call both of those "iaito." Most folks use the Al-Zn version, especially since the weapon control laws in Japan make steel iaitos vanishingly rare there.

How long does it typically take a HDGD practitioner to get to dan rank? Is shodan considered a beginning rank, or a recognition that you're actually pretty good?

Considering that I'm a Chodan (shodan)....I don't know if I'm qualified to answer that! The average student it takes around 3 years, with hourly requirements behind the different ranks. My instructor is also one of the 6 Chief Masters for our Federation, so she is VERY good at her style and at instructing. We have quite a few more requirements than the average dojang. She teaches as much of the art as she knows, which is a lot.

Up to Chodan, you get through basically 16 hyung/kata, which are pretty long- some over 70 movements.

But then, my feeling still carries over from my other style....Chodan just means that you're ready to really learn. You have the fundamentals, but you're still a beginner.

OP
MBuzzy

MBuzzy

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Excellent! I am glad you had it inspected and also that you have someone close to you who uses the same sword in their Training Hall!
icon14.gif

I consider myself VERY lucky that I don't have to wait to afford the $2000 sword that I won't even have a chance to see or touch before I buy....

Now I just have to get some straw mats and stands..... :)

Namii

Green Belt
Reaction score
Awesome. That one looks alot like the Hanwei practical series. My first live sword was also a Hanwei Practical. Im willing to bet he got it from Nihonzashi- same place I got mine