First kenpo class

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
So I've just had my first class at the new kenpo place. It wasn't an official class more of an informal session for brown and black belts. It was me, the head guy and 4 other black belts. We warmed up with every single form then picked a belt level and worked the techniques from that. We did blue belt tonight and we worked at a decent pace but also discussed different ways of applying it which was interesting and useful. Everyone there seems nice enough and have good ability. One guy who's a 5th dan seems to cover up his not so great technique by hitting hard from what I've seen but he's a nice guy and he can do it well enough.

So, so far so good

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
Good to hear it went well! What type of Kenpo? EP, Hawaiian, what? Know the lineage? First experience with Kenpo?

Btw - what state are you in?

OP
H

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Good to hear it went well! What type of Kenpo? EP, Hawaiian, what? Know the lineage? First experience with Kenpo?

Btw - what state are you in?
Ed Parker no idea about lineage that stuff doesn't bother me and I first trained it about 30 years ago got black just over a year ago

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Hey!
Can you tell me the styles of Kenpo except Kajukenbo and Kosho Ryu Kenpo?

Last edited:

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey!
Can you tell me the styles of Kenpo except Kajukenbo and Kosho Ryu Kenpo?
shaolin kempo, american kenpo, tracy kenpo, shorinji kenpo, cerio kenpo, okinawan kempo, and probably more I can't think of off the top of my head.

From what I was told, colloquially ken/mpo just means "fist law" or "law of fist", so a lot of different styles would consider themselves kenpo as a way of identifying themselves as a martial art. I have no idea how true this is or not, but there are a ton of different styles, not all from the same origin.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score
shaolin kempo, american kenpo, tracy kenpo, shorinji kenpo, cerio kenpo, okinawan kempo, and probably more I can't think of off the top of my head.

From what I was told, colloquially ken/mpo just means "fist law" or "law of fist", so a lot of different styles would consider themselves kenpo as a way of identifying themselves as a martial art. I have no idea how true this is or not, but there are a ton of different styles, not all from the same origin.

Yea, this is more what I meant by "lineage". Meant it in mind off a vague way like - Tracy, Emperado, Godin, etc.

While I do find it interesting, lineage isn' really a priority to me either.

I was training in Kaj, before I moved. Now I'm training in a branch of HK from the Ron Alo line.

Kempo is awesome, good job on jumping back in!

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ah that's great to hear HH :). Definitely helps when you click with and feel comfortable in the place and with your training partners

kravmaga1

Yellow Belt
Reaction score

Yeah agree there are tons of different styles and of different origin.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Nice that you've found a good place. There's so many that focus way to much on the talking side. That's why things like boxing or jiu jitsu etc are more popular

Latest Discussions