First human "infected with computer virus"

Satt

Black Belt
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10158517.stm

This is what freaks me out about it...

Professor Rafael Capurro of the Steinbeis-Transfer-Institute of Information Ethics in Germany told BBC News that the research was "interesting".
"If someone can get online access to your implant, it could be serious," he said.

What do you think?

CanuckMA

Master of Arts
Reaction score
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/technology/10158517.stm

This is what freaks me out about it...

Professor Rafael Capurro of the Steinbeis-Transfer-Institute of Information Ethics in Germany told BBC News that the research was "interesting".
"If someone can get online access to your implant, it could be serious," he said.

What do you think?

Make the implants memory chip read-only. Problem solved.

tellner

Senior Master
Reaction score
Had to happen sooner or later.

We've already had digital picture frames, motherboards, cryptography chips and USB sticks that came with malware pre-installed. It will happen with implanted medical devices, too.

That's one reason why I would never have the direct-to-skull RJ-45 jack or its future equivalent installed. No matter how convenient or fast it would be you can guarantee it would be cracked. Imagine spam directly to your brain, malware to crash the attached wetware, script kiddies and cerebral botnets.

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Suddenly, images of mass-spammed trojans that cause people to get into car accidents and otherwise lose self-control cross my mind. Tinfoil hats won't help you when the signal comes from within. o_0!

Carol

Crazy like a...
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Had to happen sooner or later.

We've already had digital picture frames, motherboards, cryptography chips and USB sticks that came with malware pre-installed. It will happen with implanted medical devices, too.

That's one reason why I would never have the direct-to-skull RJ-45 jack or its future equivalent installed. No matter how convenient or fast it would be you can guarantee it would be cracked. Imagine spam directly to your brain, malware to crash the attached wetware, script kiddies and cerebral botnets.

You mean I should unplug mine? :idunno:

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
See John Barnes's books involving The Meme Wars, like Candle and The Sky So Big And Black. Candle includes a breakdown of how a computer virus could conceivably cross over to the brain...

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok this is pretty much a non event.

You can transmit data wirelessly from a chip to a computer. We already knew that.
Implanting that chip inside your skin does not infect a human being with a virus any more than shoving a USB stick up your *** makes you Johnny Mnemonic.
It's just a less convenient way of transportation.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I thought it was going to be a story about someone getting a virus from going to too many "naughty sites" and not being careful. :hellonurs

Nomad

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Implanting that chip inside your skin does not infect a human being with a virus any more than shoving a USB stick up your *** makes you Johnny Mnemonic.
It's just a less convenient way of transportation.

Darn. Scratch my plans for Saturday night, then... ;)

Latest Discussions