First Fight

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Have someone give the same kicks to you in practice but not as hard. If the kick is coming to your left side then move forward to your right at a 45 degree angle. If it is coming to your left side then move forward to your left at a 45 degree angle. You'll soon discover that you really don't need to block it, as long as you can move to that position in time. Give it a try. Have fun with it and explore. You should be able to use your WC foot work to make it happen.
I suspect this is why those angles are so common in Shotokan, as well. It evades those kinds of strikes (well enough) and sets up your own.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This is not intuitive, but when you gas you have to move more and stay off the ropes. Throw jabs. Dont kick.

Which in theory takes more effort than just standing there. But If you dont move then you get forced into more exchanges. Which then costs more energy.
If nothing else, moving when you are gassed keeps it from being so obvious. I'm not a competitor, but if I see someone I'm sparring with looking gassed, I know new openings are there - their reactions and changes between them become slower.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Going to keep training hard and come back and get the next win. Will probably just do MMA next because those clinch rules are lovely annoying. Going to give my brain a break because becoming punch drunk will be no fun. Probably will take a fight in 9 months minimum.

Will keep posting my fights.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
If nothing else, moving when you are gassed keeps it from being so obvious. I'm not a competitor, but if I see someone I'm sparring with looking gassed, I know new openings are there - their reactions and changes between them become slower.

Gives you a confidence boost as well.

Headhunter

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback guys.

Going to keep training hard and come back and get the next win. Will probably just do MMA next because those clinch rules are lovely annoying. Going to give my brain a break because becoming punch drunk will be no fun. Probably will take a fight in 9 months minimum.

Will keep posting my fights.
I ain't going to tell you what to do but...if clinch rules in kickboxing annoys you mma will be even worse plus there's the ground game the knees, the elbows, the takedowns, the submissions the ground and pound.

Do you have any training on the ground? If you do then fine no problem but if not I'd seriously reconsider doing mma. You want to fight in 9 months? That's no where near enough time to get ready for mma. If you think you can win a cage with just wing chun then you'll lose very quickly.

That's not any disrespect to wing chun but you can't just enter mma with 1 style

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I ain't going to tell you what to do but...if clinch rules in kickboxing annoys you mma will be even worse plus there's the ground game the knees, the elbows, the takedowns, the submissions the ground and pound.

Do you have any training on the ground? If you do then fine no problem but if not I'd seriously reconsider doing mma. You want to fight in 9 months? That's no where near enough time to get ready for mma. If you think you can win a cage with just wing chun then you'll lose very quickly.

That's not any disrespect to wing chun but you can't just enter mma with 1 style

I know that. I do bjj and my style is more suited to being able to clinch in any way, it was annoying getting seperated when I clinched. Im not a fool, I know what I am getting myself into lol

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

You could enter a c class MMA in 9 months if you have no background in anything.

But, yeah, you would need to train MMA.

Op there are a bunch of soft option MMA out there. Shin guards, bigger gloves, short rounds, head gear. Some have no face punching on the deck.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I suspect this is why those angles are so common in Shotokan, as well. It evades those kinds of strikes (well enough) and sets up your own.

If you can base for a solid block in the time you realize that kick is coming you are winning.

The footwork is ambitious.

To prevent getting kicked that easily generally you don't leave a kick unanswered. So they nail you fine. Crack them hard in the head with a right hand for their trouble.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
By the way that is some ********. He should have made weight. That horrified my coaches.

Yeap. I don't think Alan would of let me fight if he had known. He couldn't make it to the weigh-in and I kind of just didn't mention it before the fight. This was just some local k1 comp so wasn't the most 100% legit in the way the run things lol

I have always been training for MMA since I decided to fight, but I wanted to get some striking and some ring experience so just took this fight. I'm glad I did now I know how to better prepare.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeap. I don't think Alan would of let me fight if he had known. He couldn't make it to the weigh-in and I kind of just didn't mention it before the fight. This was just some local k1 comp so wasn't the most 100% legit in the way the run things lol

I have always been training for MMA since I decided to fight, but I wanted to get some striking and some ring experience so just took this fight. I'm glad I did now I know how to better prepare.

Yeah. It was a good prep for you.

What is your fight camp like?

Our guys do a dedicated 12 week lead up.

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Yeah. It was a good prep for you.

What is your fight camp like?

Our guys do a dedicated 12 week lead up.

It was good. I should of personally put more effort into it. I had the right gameplan, I just ended up brawling and gassing out a bit too much and didn't implement it properly. I didn't train my conditioning up to the standard of our gym, which is on me. I didn't show enough respect for this sport in my training and I got kicked in the face for it so now I need to train like a motherfucker. I had great coaching but let them down with the effort I put into my conditioning.

I said didn't spar with enough kickboxers but I did know what to do against them and I just stopped doing my gameplan, gassed out and brawled too much.

Last edited:

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didn't show enough respect for this sport in my training and I got kicked in the face for it so now I need to train like a motherfucker. I had great coaching but let them down with the effort I put into my conditioning.
Don't be hard on yourself. You can get kicked in the face even if you train really hard and have respect for the sport.

The most difficult thing to do in traditional martial arts is to trust the techniques that you train. It's easy to bail out of traditional martial arts techniques, because from the user's end, it always looks like we are either too open or that the technique won't work. What we don't take into consideration is how it looks on the opponents end. When you stay true to your techniques, many fighter's become puzzled with your attacks because it's something they have never seen before and they don't know what to do with it. Just keep training, trust your WC, learn how to correctly apply it and you'll be find. Being too hard on yourself doesn't help. Acknowledge where you failed, and what you need to do to improve and leave it at that.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It was good. I should of personally put more effort into it. I had the right gameplan, I just ended up brawling and gassing out a bit too much and didn't implement it properly. I didn't train my conditioning up to the standard of our gym, which is on me. I didn't show enough respect for this sport in my training and I got kicked in the face for it so now I need to train like a motherfucker. I had great coaching but let them down with the effort I put into my conditioning.

I said didn't spar with enough kickboxers but I did know what to do against them and I just stopped doing my gameplan, gassed out and brawled too much.

Which is why a loss is often better. Trying to drive home that message to fighters is often really hard.

(we have a few of our guys fighting in April and getting them desperate early is always a struggle.)

KangTsai

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw many opportunities for you to throw more body kicks - your opponent had a rib-loose guard under pressure. Other than that, this first round seems pretty equal. Your opponent was dishing out more power, but he was catching you on your guard most of the time; you were landing alot of good shots through guards, though the power looked lighter.

Nobody Important

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Had my first fight last night. Was a tough one, started off good but gassed out in the last round and got hit with a good shot. The opponent had 7kg on me and im pretty sure that wasnt his first fight but still many improvements to make and time to train harder and get the next win.

Also before training with Alan i had done many years of traditional ip man wc and none of those hundreds of hours of drills and just no contact cooperating drills didn't really help under that pressure. I have a good reference of what its like now so i can adjust my training to perform better next time.

My skill in this is all from Alan and me adding randoms bits myself. The pressure and skill of the opponent threw me off a bit but was a good scrap

Heres the first round. Will upload the next two rounds later when I can.

Good job young man! Best advice I have for you is pay attention to your instincts, listen to your coaches and adjust accordingly. From your own insights I'd say your well on your way to figuring out a game plan that best supports your goals. Keep at it.

Latest Discussions