First Fight

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Round 2 - Can see me start gassing out

Round 3- feels weird watching yourself get TKO'd lol

Even though I lost I got to face the reality of what happened and why and fix those holes. When I started gassing out I started throwing wild shots and not placing them right, my movement became quite bad and flat footed.

Some good feedback JowGa wolf. Will try be more cerebral when I fight next time, kind of just stopped thinking with any sort of strategy.. didnt even notice those little details like he had hands down when he kicked. Realised I relied too much on reacting instead of setting up positions and covering positions before he acts. I understand why Duncan Leungs lineage focus so much on covering and not reacting now

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I understand why Duncan Leungs lineage focus so much on covering and not reacting now

Interesting. We're you ever able to find/train with any DL guys?
Oh and thanks for posting your vid's bro.
And remember the old adage "conditioning is king inside the ring" :)

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Also... get someone with more experience to record your fight. A finger over the lens ...really? And the framing? Great if I want to focus on your footwork I guess.

Anyway, good on you for sharing. Thanks!

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Also... get someone with more experience to record your fight. A finger over the lens ...really? And the framing? Great if I want to focus on your footwork I guess.

I think he got a bit too excited lol

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Interesting. We're you ever able to find/train with any DL guys?
Oh and thanks for posting your vid's bro.
And remember the old adage "conditioning is king inside the ring" :)

Nah there isnt any around NZ but Alan is great. I am aware of the covering concept though and I agree with it now. Those body kicks came alot faster than i was expecting

wckf92

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Nah there isnt any around NZ but Alan is great. I am aware of the covering concept though and I agree with it now. Those body kicks came alot faster than i was expecting

Would be interested to hear more if you ever incorporate DL's covering ideas. Thx

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Surprisingly good for film my fight guy. We just had a local show and it was all phones from 50 metres away

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Did the other guy loose points for coming in over weight?

OP
D

dudewingchun

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Did the other guy loose points for coming in over weight?

Nah. I just accepted it. I am probably not going to do that again. He hit hard and I was too weary of his power, I didn't want to get clipped by a hook in the pocket I didnt see coming and I ended up just staying in his kicking range.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Nah. I just accepted it. I am probably not going to do that again. He hit hard and I was too weary of his power, I didn't want to get clipped by a hook in the pocket I didnt see coming and I ended up just staying in his kicking range.

So did you have a weight set beforehand? That is a whole weight class difference.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

Even though I lost I got to face the reality of what happened and why and fix those holes. When I started gassing out I started throwing wild shots and not placing them right, my movement became quite bad and flat footed.

Some good feedback JowGa wolf. Will try be more cerebral when I fight next time, kind of just stopped thinking with any sort of strategy.. didnt even notice those little details like he had hands down when he kicked. Realised I relied too much on reacting instead of setting up positions and covering positions before he acts. I understand why Duncan Leungs lineage focus so much on covering and not reacting now

This is not intuitive, but when you gas you have to move more and stay off the ropes. Throw jabs. Dont kick.

Which in theory takes more effort than just standing there. But If you dont move then you get forced into more exchanges. Which then costs more energy.

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
Are you a soulless ginger? :wideyed:

Public service announcement: steer clear of gingers...they be loco man

All kidding aside congrats on your 1st fight.

And before anyone claims I'm prejudice against gingers.....you should know I am a quarter ginger myself.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I didnt know my opponent until I weighed in.
This is usually my case. I normally don't know what people know so I try to make them throw the first couple of shots so I can get a feel for the mess that I'm getting in. I try to get as much information as possible like, tell-tale signs, did he kick with his left foot or right foot? Did he punch with his left hand or right hand? Did the strike feel heavy? How is he responding to my body movements, what makes him jumpy? How does he react when I circle left, right, or change my stance? You don't have to throw out the first punch or kick until you feel that you have the information that you need to get a good feel for your opponent.

I gassed out like crazy and just lost all my techniques.
Part of this is because of endurance and part of it is because of adrenaline. Sometimes we get to excited or too tense and it burns up all of our energy. This will improve as you continue to train and learn how to relax when you fight.

My kicks do need a lot of practice, I was training for a boxing match then 1 month before i got told it was kickboxing so just had a month to get some kicks going.
WC has a good front heel kick. The front heel kick to the center of the ribs is always a nice one. Front kicks are often under estimated and you can naturally get more out of that kick than the other kicks.

Yes the bodykicks got me good, my ribs are sore today!
Have someone give the same kicks to you in practice but not as hard. If the kick is coming to your left side then move forward to your right at a 45 degree angle. If it is coming to your left side then move forward to your left at a 45 degree angle. You'll soon discover that you really don't need to block it, as long as you can move to that position in time. Give it a try. Have fun with it and explore. You should be able to use your WC foot work to make it happen.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

Great job on sticking it out. I've been gassed out before and I have more than 1 video of me being gasses out. It's tough lol. Many people (non fighters) don't realize the energy that goes into fighting and how the body can burn up that energy really quickly.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Great if I want to focus on your footwork I guess.
lol.. this is the first thing I look at when analyzing video. I'll watch a video 2 or 3 times only looking at the footwork. Probably because I like to take advantage of the fact that many people out there either lack the footwork or don't think about their legs.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just finished watching all 3 videos. The only thing to really add is that if you aren't feeling confident in your kicks, you shouldn't rely on them as much, especially once its clear that he can take advantage of it. You can still add them in for variety, but I felt like you were letting them be a bigger part of your game than they should be.

The other thing is...if you guys were the same weight, I honestly think the fight would have turned out differently. you seemed like you were doing pretty good for yourself in that first video, then some point in the second video that started changing (I couldn't tell when because of the camera). Part of that's cardio, but I'd guess a large part is also having a guy significantly heavier than you kicking your midsection so much.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I see things somewhat differently than others. I have no problem with you keeping your head down, I think you should do it even more. I think it would behove you to work with someone who has teaching skills in boxing. You need to get your head off the center line and learn to slip things. And bob and weave.

I think you also need to work with kickers. Kickers who will help you not to get kicked to the body, especially with any kind of round kicks. It doesn't matter how, move slip, block, absorb by arm position or elbow....whatever, but you have to address those body kicks.

That front kick of yours? I think you're going to ruin the day of a lot of fighters with that front kick. Work the hell out of that puppy. Don't throw it much.....but when you do...

Develop a jab. A no nonsense, fast jab. One that you can both sting with, and intercept with.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well, what we can see around the giant finger, anyway. :p

It is clear you were gassed already by early in this round. You took a few solid shots in the first 20 seconds, and that seemed to be the last time you looked energetic. You did well to stay in as long as you did, and still got in some punishing strikes later. Even knowing the outcome, I was waiting to see if he'd give you too big an opening.

If you get more power out of those kicks and (as your guy keeps yelling) make them pay for delivering kicks when you can, that changes things. Add some more stamina, and this would look very different.

Latest Discussions