First ever demo/open house

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Well, not the schools first ever, but first since the mid 90s. I have put in to have free to the public demo/recruitment drive at the Y for next saturday. We are going to celebrate 28 years at the Y. I've got an outline of events, the Y is (I hope) going to advertise in the paper and facebook. And yes, I'll have someone there taking lots of pictures. Hopefully we'll also swing an article in the paper as well.

Aiki Lee

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Neat. Any idea on what you will be showing to people when you do the demo?

OP
B

bluewaveschool

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Breaking and sparring, some simple self defense/escape from being grabbed, and some audience particapation kids self defense. I usually pick the biggest guy in the audience to show escaping from a wrist grab, so that people see that it works, and not just instructors playing pretend for each other. We get the mat out for a few takedown/throws. We've done the Y's healthy kids day the last 2 years, which give us very little exposure but did let us show off a little. This will be a strictly for us event.

Forms are.... under debate. Lets face it, no one gets excited over them. Everyone wants to see fighting and breaking things.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Breaking is always good. Best bets: someone who can do the really flashy acrobatic breaks (get some of those thin demo boards), and oddball breaks like ridgehand speed breaks and head breaks, and someone who can do good power breaks (our last demo I did stacks of 7 16x8x2" pavers).

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Kentucky is a long ways from Colorado, but for the price of a plane ticket I'd be happy to help with your demo. :D

Latest Discussions