First day of training after 4 months

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I'm back to training after 4 month break of doing nothing but getting fat. And I just want to let everyone know that it sucks big time.

I figure I have 3 weeks of me crying and whining like a little kid about how it sucks lol.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Welcome back to training, you lazy Wolf!

Be careful, bro, it gets easier to take time off the more you do it.

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Training session 1 is complete. I have one more for today + forms. Then I'll repeat it again tomorrow.

Yeah I had to break my 1st training session in half. I'll get my before and after pictures going so I can use them for the school lol

Maybe I'll turn it into a short video documentary.

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm back to training after 4 month break of doing nothing but getting fat. And I just want to let everyone know that it sucks big time.

I figure I have 3 weeks of me crying and whining like a little kid about how it sucks lol.
have i missed something? Have you been injured?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
have i missed something? Have you been injured?
I'm not injured, but about 5 or 6 months ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer so I had to cut out some things in my life and focus on Family. Kung Fu took the hit. Shes better now and has finished the treatment so I can return to my Kung Fu training. They caught the cancer in the early stage, like before Stage 1.

Normally, I will would have eased my way back into training, but I got an invite from my Si Gung to spar with him, so now I have to train 3 times a hard so I don't get hurt while sparring with my Si Gung (my Sifu's teacher). I think I was told that he is 6'5" and very strong and powerful with bones like concrete. I weigh 205 now since I stopped training. I need to cut my weight down to 175 and I need to strengthen the bone in my legs and arms.

I have my second training session in 2 hours.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Welcome back to training, you lazy Wolf!

Oh, that is so true. After all the "easy time" I've needed to recuperate injuries lately, it's tough to go back at it with the intensity or consistency I had built up.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I'm not injured, but about 5 or 6 months ago my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer so I had to cut out some things in my life and focus on Family. Kung Fu took the hit. Shes better now and has finished the treatment so I can return to my Kung Fu training. They caught the cancer in the early stage, like before Stage 1.

Normally, I will would have eased my way back into training, but I got an invite from my Si Gung to spar with him, so now I have to train 3 times a hard so I don't get hurt while sparring with my Si Gung (my Sifu's teacher). I think I was told that he is 6'5" and very strong and powerful with bones like concrete. I weigh 205 now since I stopped training. I need to cut my weight down to 175 and I need to strengthen the bone in my legs and arms.

good news, apart from the guy having bones like concrete that is,

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Sorry to hear about your wife, I'm glad she's better!
Good luck with sparring your si gung. When is that taking place, and how did it come about?
More importantly, are you going to be able to take a video?

OP
JowGaWolf

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your wife, I'm glad she's better!
Thanks. We make use of the free physical every year, I think she went 2 years without one, but timing is everything. Now I make sure I take my butt to get a physical every year.

When is that taking place, and how did it come about?
I won't be able to visit him until sometime next year during the summer when I visit my brother.
I posted this video in a kung fu group on facebook and he saw it.
I always try to point out that I only spar to learn and not win, and I think he likes that. He's always concern that someone will learn Jow Ga just to fight and at one time he thought that's was my perspective. But he had a chance to get to know a little about me and the type of person I am. I'm sure my Sifu reassured him as well that I wasn't some punk who only cared about fighting. I also think that most people learn forms and the purpose of techniques. Then you have a few who spar but don't use the technique. Then you have even fewer who actually try apply the techniques during sparring. From what my Sifu has told me, and what other Sifu's have told me. I'm one of the few. I think all of this together lead to the invite. None of my training was done for recognition. I think I often got my Sifu in slight trouble in the past before lol. For me all I really care about it to be a good representation of Jow Ga Kung Fu by showing it's something that actually can work if trained properly.

More importantly, are you going to be able to take a video?
I'm going to assume that I won't be able to take a video. He'll probably record it and use it to train his students. If there are other students there then I may be able to record that, but I can't promise anything. If I don't get video from that then I'll probably get video from the Muay Thai gym where my brother trains. Last time they invited me to spar with them, but I wasn't able to accept at that time.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
All my positive thoughts to your family, bro.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Glad to hear your wife is doing better. I'm hoping to have an opportunity to get out and visit some of the MT fold after the start of the year (I really have no excuse for not making it over to catch up with you already), so maybe I can contribute to your prep. I'm a decent punching bag for better sparrers.

Balrog

Master of Arts
Reaction score

Or more. Been there, done that. When those pounds come to visit, they don't want to leave. Welcome back to the grindstone!