"Fire" Frustrations

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
OK, so here is where I'm at:

This element is cool as far as flowing into Ganseki nage and Osoto nage, but for some reason the straight punch defense is becoming a problem. I just don't understand it fully, I suppose...that is the 'mi-ai'/distancing of the principle.

I have my uke come after me like a boxer would, and sometimes I can manage to get off line and enter in on him, but then my punches are hindered due to the distance. Along those same lines, a lot of the times, despite how cooperative he is, I find myself having to shove his hand to the side to be able to comfortably enter his personal space, or use more of a wind attitude and closely step off line and circle/enter his maneuver. I can't get the same firey feeling, and I feel too reactionary than preemptive. For the jab/cross defense, how can I close distance and simultaneously evade getting hit, while in the 'fire' mode?

Do I side step, instead of enter?

Do I stop the jab, before it's launched?

Do I slap in down like a boxer?

I'M CONFUS-ED-DID! :wah:

WarGod

White Belt
Reaction score
ToShinDoKa,

Let me make sure I'm tracking here - are you talking about the one that starts with the attacker jabbing (or jab-cross) and you move outside the initial strike?

WOJ

P.S. Please drop me an email - somehow I've misplaced yours. Thanks!

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
ToShinDoKa,

Let me make sure I'm tracking here - are you talking about the one that starts with the attacker jabbing (or jab-cross) and you move outside the initial strike?

WOJ

P.S. Please drop me an email - somehow I've misplaced yours. Thanks!

"On the money," sir. That's EXACTLY the one I'm talking about.

kaizasosei

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
sounds like you are too focused on one movement rather than adapting to what is there. also, don't go so fast and try to conceal your attacks or counters better by, for example, waiting to the last moment to make that explosive move ..
also, for being fire., it's not just the movement or kata...it's a whole attitude thing. cooperative?? in a real situation the attacker is not at all cooperative unless you can manipulate his actions to some degree.

what i am saying is the fire attitude is a powerful back/forward attack. the going back or angle part is only to evade the incoming as much as necessary.
this is kindof a stretch but for real combat, the fire attitude doesn't really even need to step back... attacker comes in, attacker gets smashed.
it's good to be out of reach for an attack, but to do damage you have to get fairly close to the attacker applying the principles of koppo.
this is what i heard hatsumisensei say in a video.: when thinking of koppo, many people think of breaking bones-that is the classic understanding. however, that is not the full meaning of koppo. the human bodys structure is composed of bones, the humans balance(posture) is also supported by those bones. so not only the mere breaking of bones, the art of koppo is also the breaking of the posture and taking of balance. that is the law of the bones.

i'm not absolutely certain, but for a while i also understood it to be the law of the koshi or hips,,however, that would probably fall under koshijutsu. however, koshijutsu translating directly to bonefingerart. just a play on words as koshi also means hips.

this is what i heard on the gikanryukoppojutsuvideo that can be watched on youtube -although i think it's all japanese

just some ideas.

also, evil brings more evil...to smash someone down, you have to be just and selfconfident...also helps if you are tougher than the attacker or more fearless. in ma, fearlessness is expressed in calmness and relaxedness also fairness. being resilient to pain and never blaming others for ones own faults.

j

WarGod

White Belt
Reaction score
Hmmm.... Let me see if I can address this over the interweb. Let's start with you being left foot forward, left hand forward. Your attacker is jabbing (or jab-crossing, it doesn't matter) with his left hand (so his left side will be forward). Distance should be close - this is really happening within jabbing range. Try it just within or on the edge of jabbing range (try both and feel the difference).

Your rear hand (right in this case) protects your left side. It should be floating near your face. Your lead (left) arm is extended slightly, but the elbow is still down, protecting your ribs. As the jab comes in, slip it to the outside using a combination of your right (rear) hand lightly pushing it off course, and simultaneously stepping to the outside and forward with your rear foot. Your rear foot (the right) now becomes the forward foot.

Slam with your left (the lead hand), using your forearm or maybe knuckles, into the upper part of the jabbing arm. If its a "power jab" where he's trying to knock you out with it, he may extend enough for you to actually hit cleanly. If its a "set-up" jab, he'll retract his arm quickly. If that's the case, you'll wind up hitting into the upper arm and shoulder area. The point is to jam up that jabbing arm.

(This is all one motion, although spelling it out makes it seem like its not. It should be "slip/move/jam hit").

You should end up with your right foot forward, jamming up his lead arm, and your body close in to your attacker's. Now, give him a nice hard hook with your outside (right) arm into the ribs/kidneys. Continue as appropriate.

That initial step with the rear foot is critical. If you move forward too much you get knocked out. If you move outside too much you won't be in a position to follow up.

Keep your weight over your toes, with your heels slightly raised. You shouldn't have "dead feet".

Here's a drill to practice reacting to a jab: Get a pair of focus mitts and work jabs with your partner. Make sure you've both got a good, hard, quick jab. Don't b.s. each other. Then put in your mouthpiece and have your partner put on training gloves (boxing or 6-8 oz mma training gloves are fine). You keep one focus mitt on your right hand, but don't hold it in front of your face. Keep it floating just like you would without the mitt. Take the same left forward stance and have your partner throw the jab at your face. As that jab comes in, just turn the mitt to catch the jab, then relax it back into floating. Contact should happen very close in front of your face, or else he's not really throwing. Of course, start by hitting slowly and easily and first, then pick it up. He should always be throwing a jab with the intent of popping you in the face - if he's not in range, its not a threat. Then start adding the footwork in and slipping the jab to the outside. Add in speed, movement, etc. as you get comfortable at each stage. You may get hit a few times.

I hope this is what you were looking for. Getting the right information out in this medium can be very difficult!

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Man, this forums, though limited, are a great way to get useful information. Thank you again Mr. Johnson and Kaizasosei. I'll be trying that drill out during next week's training!

Arigatou Gozaimashita,

-Scott T. Ealey
To-Shin Do LDS

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Keep in mind, Scott, that the "fire feeling" is one that you are so in tune to your attaker that your explosive defensive attack does not allow him to fully get his punch off. You are almost stuffing his attack with your defense, moving into his space (taking his kukan), and performing the technique as has already been stated.

Bigshadow

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I don't know TSD, but based on my training, by the symptoms you describe, it sounds as though you may be moving too late (in a very general sense). Instead of 1 and 2, try moving on the AND. I believe it that is why it feels reactionary.

lalom

Green Belt
Reaction score
Sounds too late indeed. The fire feeling is about being so aware and connected that you explode with your defense before the attacker has a chance to get his off.

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
You guys are SOOO right! I mean, it just so happens that I was training this technique last night. I could come in, but I found myself slapping the punch to the side, compared to catching it before it manifests. When it comes to the second punch (hook or haymaker) I seem to be able to easily stop it, but can't catch it before hand.

WarGod

White Belt
Reaction score
If this is the same technique we were talking about earlier, you shouldn't be doing anything to/with the attacker's second punch. You should be moving to the outside of the set-up jab and attacking his jabbing arm and body. His second punch doesn't matter - you are moving, as Bigshadow so aptly put it - on the "and" of "1 and 2" - so you are moving out of the line of fire as he is firing.

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes sir,

I remember that kata, but there was another one we were taught. Honestly, I feel more comfortable with the one we're speaking of in practicality, but I believe there was one where you tried to enter into the center line, compared to repositioning to the outside. Of course, the first one we learn WAS getting to the outside, and even behind, because that's the ideal defense I'm assuming. Nonetheless, this one I'm speaking of ends with ganseki nage.

Perhaps I'm over complicating a variation, but for some reason, it erks me not understanding it. I think the jab was like a 'lip splitter' and is quickly withdrawn to set up another; which, said 'another', is lauched from a repositioned opponent (due to the lack of committment to the first punch) and has a slightly more circular angle, methinks. Confused? That makes two of us...

????

-Scott

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
No more fire frustrations for a while...I'm a green belt now! Fu no Kata, here I come...LoL :D

OP
ToShinDoKa

ToShinDoKa

Green Belt
Reaction score
Hah! Look at that! When I posted my 100th post, it made me a GREEN BELT! Hah...NINJA-MAGIC! :matrix: