Finally!!!

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
In the WT system, it is possible to learn the forms faster if you have enough money. Take 50 or more private lessons a year at $50 each, fly to a few out-of state seminars each year and when finally accepted for the weapons training, you pay for the course and then may also be asked to pay an additional fee for each movement taught. All told, that can run into some serious change.

I respect the system, but the business model drove me away. Especially since I'm a guy of humble means. My current teacher had "Master" rank in the same system and was much more open with the material ...at first, anyway. Lately, I've seen a trend back towards the old business model. I hope I'm mistaken.

Reactions: KPM
OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score
In the WT system, it is possible to learn the forms faster if you have enough money. Take 50 or more private lessons a year at $50 each, fly to a few out-of state seminars each year and when finally accepted for the weapons training, you pay for the course and then may also be asked to pay an additional fee for each movement taught. All told, that can run into some serious change.

I respect the system, but the business model drove me away. Especially since I'm a guy of humble means. My current teacher had "Master" rank in the same system and was much more open with the material ...at first, anyway. Lately, I've seen a trend back towards the old business model. I hope I'm mistaken.

I see that a lot with the WT guys. They split off because they do not like how it's going with either LT or KK and so they form their own organization and end up doing the very same thing that they disliked about the other guys. I guess the difference is now they're on top and they're the ones getting all the money.

I really hate this modern trend of everybody and their brother forming an organization, and like you geezer , I've always disliked the business aspect of our lineage... It always felt very corporate.

Why can't we go back to the days when people were content to have a school and were satisfied to be called SiFu?

Phobius

Black Belt
Reaction score
I see that a lot with the WT guys. They split off because they do not like how it's going with either LT or KK and so they form their own organization and end up doing the very same thing that they disliked about the other guys. I guess the difference is now they're on top and they're the ones getting all the money.

I really hate this modern trend of everybody and their brother forming an organization, and like you geezer , I've always disliked the business aspect of our lineage... It always felt very corporate.

Why can't we go back to the days when people were content to have a school and were satisfied to be called SiFu?

Not everything is doom and gloom. Some areas we do have WT with an open attitude.

This is what my sifu taught me, directly or indirectly I do not know or care. Basically we want all those we train with to become as good as they can possibly get. That is the only way we can become superb. So teach them all we know, so that we can learn more.

Of course there are those that prefer gold to knowledge but life is like that sometimes, especially when we have no competitions to saturate that thirst for gold.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
Congrats! Out of curiosity Yak, are you under the IWTA or EWTO side of LTWT?

Did you receive 5th Practitioner as well?

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score

5th Level Practition? Them's the wide stripers. Never met one that couldn't kick my butt ....with one hand behind their back! :D

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
5th Level Practition? Them's the wide stripers. Never met one that couldn't kick my butt ....with one hand behind their back! :D

Yeah, actually, when you go from 4th Tech to 5th Practitioner (Master level), your stripes turn from red to yellow too.

Usually Baat Cham Dao is the last thing in LTWT before you have completed the entire system and receive your yellow "Master" stripes.

They're supposed to give you a run for your money with one hand behind their back lol.

OP
Y

yak sao

Senior Master
Reaction score

I'm originally AWTO / EBMAS under Emin. Past 12 years have been with Alan Fong, who was IWTA until 1989.

wingchun100

Senior Master
Reaction score
No idea what it is but as it's obviously something that has made you happy it's a good thing so congratulations! :)

It is the knife form, which is reserved for only the most advanced and talented students. :)

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Have you learned the BJD vs other weapons or just the form?

hkreporting

White Belt
Reaction score
I began training LT WT in the summer of 1995. Today, 22 years later almost to the day, I have completed training on the Baat Jaam Do!

Just had to tell somebody.
Firstly congratulations! One comment about the knives I heard from my sifu here in Hong Kong is that the chances of actually using them are almost zero, so the real challenge is how to incorporate all the principles and moves in the knife form into your hand to hand combat. There is probably less in the hand movements that are applicable, but, if you can incorporate all the amazing footwork from the knife form into your chisau and fighting, that would take your WC to the next level for sure, such as leg swapping to gain distance and entry. All the best.

DanT

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Firstly congratulations! One comment about the knives I heard from my sifu here in Hong Kong is that the chances of actually using them are almost zero, so the real challenge is how to incorporate all the principles and moves in the knife form into your hand to hand combat. There is probably less in the hand movements that are applicable, but, if you can incorporate all the amazing footwork from the knife form into your chisau and fighting, that would take your WC to the next level for sure, such as leg swapping to gain distance and entry. All the best.
Another important aspect that the knives develop is "fighting spirit", especially when practicing with them at high intensity with a partner.

Bino TWT

Green Belt
Reaction score
The motions from the knives do carry over into whatever you can get your hands on though. Think: Escrima.