Finally! A Candidate I could Support!

RandomPhantom700

Master of Arts
Reaction score
3) Served in the military. How on Earth can you become the Commander in Chief w/out having any clue how the military functions? If I were to go to the local recruiting station and ask to become a 5-star General after signing up, I'd be laughed at. Why should it be different for a president? Not saying you have to be a war hero, or a General, but at least served in some fashion.

I agree that having a good military background (i.e. wasn't dishonorably discharged) is a definite plus for any presidential nominee. However, I wouldn't want it becoming a requirement. The president (in theory, anyway) reflects the civilian government, and requiring that all presidents have military experience infringes too much on that. Besides, if the peoples' choice in presidents lacks such experience, then that's why their cabinet includes a Secretary of Defense and the Joint Chiefs, emphasis on the latter.

Amen, brother! Even a lousy Private has a better idea of how the military at large works than most liberal politicians.

Right, 'cause Bush and Rumsfield displayed such experience, forethought, and consideration in their commanding of the current Iraq war. Just think what a quagmire it would have been if one of those pinko commies was in charge...

Latest Discussions