Filipino Martial Tradition

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have the hardest time relaying this concept to most people, because their minds can't get out of the "martial fantasy" box. That box being that you have the "Master" and everyone koutou's to that master until he dies; then "magically" before he passes away, the master passes the torch to someone else. Then, everyone else must kiss that guys wiener until he passes the torch.

The thing is, it doesn't work that way. Not in Filipino arts, or even strict lineage arts like Chinese, Japanese, or Korean arts. But, because that fantasy seems to work well for business, in almost every culture it has been rammed down our throats.

So what happends today? Everyone is after the same "trophy;" whether its to be the next Bruce Lee, Ed Parker, or Remy Presas, or whether it is simply to be the final authority on a particular art created by someone else. Everyone tries to fill someone elses shoes because that is what they feel they are supposed to do. If you step outside of the box, you'd realize that most of the martial arts greats in the world made their own shoes, rather then trying to fill someone elses.

Off to make shoes....

Gepetto

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I once met an instructor that said he would give his lineage to the first person who asks for it. This would then immediatly identify them as the person to ridicule among the other skilled players, because it would identify them as someone that is insecure in their abilities and arrogant enough to actually ask for a legacy.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
I once met an instructor that said he would give his lineage to the first person who asks for it. This would then immediatly identify them as the person to ridicule among the other skilled players, because it would identify them as someone that is insecure in their abilities and arrogant enough to actually ask for a legacy.

True. However, many new students that I have lured into our dungeon ask for credentials, rank, etc. I don't hold it against them. Many of people come from other styles so that is what they are used to and they are trying to get as much info to make a decision. In this case having some type of certification is benificial.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
arnisandyz said:
True. However, many new students that I have lured into our dungeon ask for credentials, rank, etc. I don't hold it against them. Many of people come from other styles so that is what they are used to and they are trying to get as much info to make a decision. In this case having some type of certification is benificial.

Sure, but it also depends on how/if you are advertising or marketing. This particlular instructor had very small classes of friends, not commercial/business classes of students and he doesn't advertise. I'm not mentioning business schools in a durogatory tone, just pointing out the differance. The best part of business schools for me is that they allow for easier interaction with other systems and schools, because they are so open.

OP
arnisandyz

arnisandyz

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
OULobo said:
Sure, but it also depends on how/if you are advertising or marketing. This particlular instructor had very small classes of friends, not commercial/business classes of students and he doesn't advertise. I'm not mentioning business schools in a durogatory tone, just pointing out the differance. The best part of business schools for me is that they allow for easier interaction with other systems and schools, because they are so open.

Yeah, I love the small get togethers among friends, I think thats when creativity and learning at at its highest (for me anyways).

M

mike dizon

Dan Anderson,

Interesting and true post. I must say that the dan rankings were only added by Professor Remy after he had travelled to the USA for the first time.

Dan Anderson

Master of Arts
Reaction score
mike dizon said:
Dan Anderson,

Interesting and true post. I must say that the dan rankings were only added by Professor Remy after he had travelled to the USA for the first time.

Hi Mike,

AFTER? Ahhh, that is a bit of history I didn't know. Thanks.

Yours,
Dan Anderson

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mike dizon said:
Dan Anderson,

Mike,

No disrespect, as I am trying to learn.

"The Pink Book" has a first PI publish date of 1974, which also is when GM Presas came to the US for the first time. I understand that the cover of the first US edition was from 1976. In back of the book Section :Ranking of Players in Arnis" has Dan ranking. Could you explain more please.

Thank You

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
That was exactly what I was thinking...the pink book has rank descriptions in terms of dan, then in equivalent lakan rankings. I'm not aware of an earlier visit he made to the U.S., but I suppose I can't rule it out.

loki09789

Senior Master
Reaction score
arnisador said:
That was exactly what I was thinking...the pink book has rank descriptions in terms of dan, then in equivalent lakan rankings. I'm not aware of an earlier visit he made to the U.S., but I suppose I can't rule it out.
Part of RP's legacy was his revitalization of PI arts in PI. I don't have a copy of the "Pink Book" but if other "dan" and rank type systems were more popular at the time, could the mention of Japanese or Chinese rank structures have been nothing more than referencial or equivalents?

Then as MA made its way into PI and US popularity the seminar format exposed 'ranked' artists who just kept using the terminology that they were use to in reference to MA ranks. RP was a "whatever works" type of instructor about some things so if he never really said "this is the way it is" then rank/terminology confusion could have grown out of this environmental stuff.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
For those interested in obtaining a copy of "the Pink Book", you can contact Master Brian Zawilinski. You can find his contact info at www.modernarnis.net .

I do not get anything from this, other than letting others know where to obtain a copy.

:asian:

M

mike dizon

From what I knoow, the early students of Remy Presas werent given black belt ranks here. They knew who was senior than the others.

Rich Parsons

Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
mike dizon said:
From what I knoow, the early students of Remy Presas werent given black belt ranks here. They knew who was senior than the others.

BY Here, I assume you mean the PI.

Thank you for the feed back.

M

mike dizon

They were not given high black belt degrees by Remy Presas. They knew who was who.

M

mike dizon

I would like to correct what i stated before. Prior toleaving to the USA, Remy Presas did not stress or emphasize grading to his students. He only graded those who he felt deserved the grade.

Latest Discussions