Fights At the Bar

Bod

Purple Belt
Reaction score
My worst bar fight ever was a bunch of South Africans vs. a bunch of South London hardnuts. Boy did that kick off. I was working in the pub at the time. I removed all the bottles and glasses and let them have it with their fists. The Londoners won (of course) but they were in the right. Then a copper walked in and they all stopped. Just like that.

My favourite barfight ever was when two Irish drunks wrestled their way through the pub I was in. The barman took a run up, vaulted the bar between two pillars only three feet apart, landed, split them up and threw them out in one long smooth motion. Pure ballet.

47MartialMan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Bod said:
My worst bar fight ever was a bunch of South Africans vs. a bunch of South London hardnuts. Boy did that kick off. I was working in the pub at the time. I removed all the bottles and glasses and let them have it with their fists. The Londoners won (of course) but they were in the right. Then a copper walked in and they all stopped. Just like that.

My favourite barfight ever was when two Irish drunks wrestled their way through the pub I was in. The barman took a run up, vaulted the bar between two pillars only three feet apart, landed, split them up and threw them out in one long smooth motion. Pure ballet.
Did it really end on the ground per se'? Not counting people losing their balance or people gettin dropped by a strike.

Simon Curran

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seen, and had to break up, a few nasty bar fights whilst working in bars in London, with glassings, headbutts and biting a "friends" throat becoming familiar to me.

I would like to say, in response to all of those who advocate finder nicer establishments, that it isn't always an option, a person's attire and/or the size of their wallet is quite often a limiting factor for choice.

psi_radar

Black Belt
Reaction score
Like many here I don't really frequent bars anymore. Definitely the best defense is not being there. Short of that, I'd say whatever course of action you choose, make it decisive. Two examples:

Argument over possession of a pool table. The guy took my quarters and racked a new game for he and his buddy. When I protested, he got close and asked me what I'd do about it. I used what I call a verbal "stun." I whispered in his ear, "I'm going to ram this pool cue up your a**. You're going to look like a bug on a pin" and then looked him straight in the eye. He was so horrified he just walked away. Now, I wouldn't recommend this approach for every situation, but I could tell this guy was a typically cowardly guy with beer muscles and could be shut down if confronted in the proper way. I looked like an easy target since I'm relatively small and was dressed formally that evening. When I made it clear I was a real threat, and not showing off for my friends (that's why I calmly whispered to him), he wanted nothing to do with me.

Drunk friend, other angry patron/bouncers. An old buddy of mine happened to get into it with another patron on his wedding night. Yeah, great wedding. The argument was about to come to blows, the bouncers were about to put the beat down on both of them while they struggled to stay in the bar and fight. I was outside the bar, saw what was going on, darted in and managed to get ahold of my buddy in a finger lock that I worked into a hammer lock and headed him out to the parking lot, saving him a pummeling. I looked back and the bouncers were "concentrating" on the other guy.

In both these situations I feel it was my confidence and commitment to action, whether it was words or movement, that got me and mine through unscathed.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
Assess the situation. Decide a course of action. Use what is needed to end it fast. Wait on law enforcement to come. Explain what happened.

This is the best formula I have found so far when leaving is not an option.

Nanalo74

Blue Belt
Reaction score
psi_radar said:
Argument over possession of a pool table. The guy took my quarters and racked a new game for he and his buddy. When I protested, he got close and asked me what I'd do about it. I used what I call a verbal "stun." I whispered in his ear, "I'm going to ram this pool cue up your a**. You're going to look like a bug on a pin" and then looked him straight in the eye. He was so horrified he just walked away. Now, I wouldn't recommend this approach for every situation, but I could tell this guy was a typically cowardly guy with beer muscles and could be shut down if confronted in the proper way. I looked like an easy target since I'm relatively small and was dressed formally that evening. When I made it clear I was a real threat, and not showing off for my friends (that's why I calmly whispered to him), he wanted nothing to do with me.
LMAO!!! That was great. I love it. Yes, many a confrontation can be ended by calmly explaining the potential severity of the situation.

psi_radar said:
Drunk friend, other angry patron/bouncers. An old buddy of mine happened to get into it with another patron on his wedding night. Yeah, great wedding. The argument was about to come to blows, the bouncers were about to put the beat down on both of them while they struggled to stay in the bar and fight. I was outside the bar, saw what was going on, darted in and managed to get ahold of my buddy in a finger lock that I worked into a hammer lock and headed him out to the parking lot, saving him a pummeling. I looked back and the bouncers were "concentrating" on the other guy.

In both these situations I feel it was my confidence and commitment to action, whether it was words or movement, that got me and mine through unscathed.
Absolutely. Once committed there can be no hesitation. Great stories brother.

Vic www.combatartsusa.com

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
Its for this reason I tend to stay away from rough places where the clientele are undesirables who love making trouble. However there are good bars I like going to where there is the potention for fights breaking out for the most silliest fo reason and thats one of the reasons i don't like to drink, or atleast not oo much, best to have my wits about me!