Fighting versus sparring

Cruentus

Grandmaster
Reaction score
kroh said:
Hey there all...

Just wondering what the sparring is like in other JKD schools out there. I know there is a lot of sparring going on and that it is good to do because it gives you an active forum for practicing your fighting. But in reality, does sparring train us for "reality." I know a lot of the stuff i would do in a real fight i can only simulate in sparring or have to work on a bag because it is too dangerous ( nothing goofy, just stuff like kick at the ankles and knee, poke the eyes...etc).

Thanx for the minute
WalT

Sorry, I have only time for a quick reply, and I have not read the entire thread, but...

JKD schools are very diverse. I have seen everything to full contact NHB type fighting to no sparring at all in JKD schools.

My opinions...

you gotta have some element of "live" training, or training with a resisting, unpredictable opponent. This is where your "sparring comes in.

Where people make the mistake is they mistaken their kickboxing, grappling, or NHB for the real deal. Sparring in the dojo with rules will never fully simulate the real deal. But, as long as you understand that, then live sparring is one of your greatest tools, because you study what adjustments you would make on the street.

The key is, if you want combative application rather then sport, train for the real deal, and have your sparring revolve around that, rather then train for the sport, and hope you can transition to the real deal when that comes.

Just IMHO...I hope I made sense...

:asian:

hedgehogey

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I wonder about is people who say "SPARRING NOT REAL FIGHT. SPAR NOT PREPARE YOU FOR THE CHAOS OF THE STREET." Yet usually people who say this are practicing on static, predictable opponents who just STAND THERE and let the student do their techniques.

You can eye gouge a compliant partner a million times, but what use is it if you've never actually used it on someone hitting back?

You and your partner trying to throw each other to the ground is much more realistic, in that case.