Fighting stance question....

Hollywood1340

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Brought up by my instructor. Power=mass*acceration. How you get there is up to you :) It then turned into a long debate about how in theory it invalidated several arts and how TKD was superior in this regard. (Our jumping, spinning, skipping and turning kicks involve much acceleration and our entire mass) Then I brought up the poing that is not very applicable on the streeet, and some of the arts invalidated have worked past this.. This in turn invalidated TKD. It was an interesting. So we threw away all known laws of physics and put it down to what works works.

P.S. It was all in theory. Realize that. The point is if it works for you use it, and always remember where you are.

OP
E

Elfan

Originally posted by Hollywood1340
Brought up by my instructor. Power=mass*acceration. How you get there is up to you :) It then turned into a long debate about how in theory it invalidated several arts and how TKD was superior in this regard. (Our jumping, spinning, skipping and turning kicks involve much acceleration and our entire mass) Then I brought up the poing that is not very applicable on the streeet, and some of the arts invalidated have worked past this.. This in turn invalidated TKD. It was an interesting. So we threw away all known laws of physics and put it down to what works works.

P.S. It was all in theory. Realize that. The point is if it works for you use it, and always remember where you are.

FORCE = mass*acceration

POWER= work/time OR force * velocity

KennethKu

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
What are you trying to say?

Force = mass*acceleration.

At the moment of impact, momentum= mass* terminal velocity (ie the velocity at that moment of impact, at the end of acceleration.)

If you can accelerate faster, you can hit harder.

How does that invalidate TKD? or any thing?

Cthulhu

Senior Master
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Just some random thoughts on the issue...

I usually see a lot of bouncing at tournaments, or just in the more sportive martial arts events (kickboxing, Muay Thai, etc...grappling events the exception).

I try not to set myself into any pattern of footwork/stances. The FMA as I'm being trained in them seems to rely more on footwork than actual stances. However, my Okinawa-te training comes back at times and I'll assume a rather rigid stance.

Stance/footwork is also determined by what your ultimate goal in the enounter is. Compare karate, FMA, and Kuntao Silat footwork.

I'll bounce a lot if I find it disturbs my opponent. Likewise, if I keep getting nailed when I bounce, I won't.

Related to the above, do what your opponent seems least comfortable with. I've seen some people who have brain-farts against people who assume low stances.

No more babbling from me.

Cthulhu

bdparsons

Black Belt
Reaction score
An effective fighting/sparring method is a balance of stability and mobility. Train to use both aspects to your advantage, but let there be a valid reason why you choose what you do.

"Bouncing" just for the sake of moving is a waste of energy. If your trying to limit your exposure by movement, try changing sides frequently instead. But if you use this method be sure you train to explode offensively from both the left and right sides.

Many, but by no means all, stationary fighters favor countering their opponent. If you choose to be a counter-attacker make sure you remember to work different angles into your counters (read, movement). There is a certain logic to this in sparring, but of you're in a self-defense situation on the street, attack, and don't let up until the threat is neutralized. but be sure to stop when it is.

Above all, differentiate between the friendly sparring match and self-defense. Different objectives. Though you train your body hard in the school/studio, and you should, remember that success on the "street" begins from the neck up.

Respects,
Bill Parsons

OP
T

Tony Starks

Originally posted by bdparsons

Different objectives. Though you train your body hard in the school/studio, and you should, remember that success on the "street" begins from the neck up.

Respects,
Bill Parsons [/B]

thx for everyones feedback, good point mr Parson

OP
E

Elfan

Cthulhu, could you elabroate a little on what you put in the "footwork" category?

When I think footwork I think manuvering while stances imply where your legs are relative to your oponent.

OP
S

SpiritFists936

I have found that bouncing, circling, and really any movement besides attacking, or parrying an attack are useless wastes of precious energy and time. wether your sparring or you are in a real situation you should move minimally, in sparring, a good opponent will start to time your movements, and find your patterns, then attack you when you are in mid air and cant counter, my advice stay on the ground and relax, the more tense you are the faster you will fatigue, but thats just me:)

OP
S

Shinzu

agreed that you dont want to waste all your energy "bouncing" arouind. but by moving you are not bouncing. remember we are not boxing here. i used to fight flat footed. now i prefer to bounce slightly. it has made me quicker and my techniques are less likely to be telegraphed.

also a good fighter just does not move front and back, but he circles and moves sile to side. this makes you less of a target and makes you harder to hit.