Fighting plan

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My plan usually consists of,

Don't getcha' self killed.

When he moves, you move, always watch his hands.

F'em, he started it.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Variously attributed to either Yip Man or his notable student, Wong Shun Leung: "Your opponent will show you how to defeat him".

...Having a detailed "plan" just clouds your vision.
This fits more with how I spar

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
"Your opponent will show you how to defeat him".
You can

1. wait for,
2. force,

your opponent to show his weakness.

IMO, 1 < 2.

I don't care about who my opponent is. I just start to drag him in circle. Depending on his respond (resist or yield), I can decide how to attack him.

my-tearing.gif

The major difference between Chinese wrestling and Judo is "tearing". When you drag your opponent around, you will create opportunity.

sc-tearing.gif

geezer

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
You can
1. wait for,
2. force your opponent to show his weakness.
IMO, 1 < 2. I don't care about who my opponent is. I just start to drag him in circle. Depending on his respond (resist or yield), I can decide how to attack him.

^^^^ I can agree with this as a an overall plan or strategy. On the other hand the sequence you proposed in the OP was far more specific ....more of what I'd consider a "tactic". Here you 1. take the initiative (dragging your opponent in a circle) and 2. Discover his weakness, then 3. attack according to the weakness he shows.

Pretty much the same concept as what Yip Man advocated. Just using a different method (shuai chiao).

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A fighting plan is trying to lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar with than he does.

You can wait for your opportunity.

You can also create your opportunity.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am left handed but fight authodox. I use my jab and my left hook pretty much.

So I will tend to parry jab, move forward throw fast high volume combinations. Then I will use lateral movement rather than back and forwards to continue to put pressure on until I am countered or I am no longer effectively punching.

What this does for me is it enables me to take rests when I want because I try to be constantly first while denying the other guy the same opportunity. Which I have been told as a side benefit is also infuriating.

This kind of helps me out with younger fitter and harder hitting guys. Which is basically everyone.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A fighting plan is trying to lead your opponent into an area that you are more familiar with than he does.

You can wait for your opportunity.

You can also create your opportunity.

I always like these videos

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
My sons plan is to control spacing and control when and where exchanges occur while creating advantages with angles. He wants to be first or move away. When he attacks it's with combinations while working angles to give himself an advantage.

He will circle at the edge of kick range and blitz in with combinations as his opponent is turning. He will also rock in place and wait for his opponents first forward movement and either throw a hard side kick or slide left or right and attack with a combination.

wab25

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
What's a fighting plan? For example, a plan can be as simple as:

A keeps kicking at B's groin. When B drops arm to block it, A then punch on B's face.

Do you have a plan when you fight? Your thought?
I am going to start out a different way here. I see my fighting plan a little differently...

The first part of my fighting plan is knowing when I will fight, and what I will fight for. I personally do not fight in sporting competitions. So, for me any fight will be "on the street." There is this one art, it has had various names... for here I will call it "Red Neck Judo." The idea with Red Neck Judo is that when you are fighting another guy on the street... judon't know if he has a knife, judon't know if he has a gun, judon't know if he has 10 friends around the corner, judon't know what he has. There are plenty of examples of people getting killed or very injured because they thought they were in a fist fight, only to find out that they were really in a knife or gun fight... and that they had brought neither with them.

Personally, if you threaten me and want my wallet, you will have my wallet. I have less then $20 in cash and the cards will be cancelled ASAP. I find that getting new cards is less inconvenience, than paying hospital bills, rehabilitation or morgue bills. If you call my mom some derogatory name... she doesn't know you and won't know what you called her, unless I tell her. Personally, my mother would rather still have me around much more than she cares about what someone she doesn't know and will never meet, called her.

The first part of my plan is knowing what I will fight for. That comes with an understanding that I may be dying in that fight. So, if its not worth me dying for... its not worth me fighting for either. I have spent time thinking through what I will and won't fight for... including my personal risks and the legal ramifications, if I am successful. Hopefully, this means I don't have to try to figure that out, while the other guy is trying to start some physical altercation with me.... its too hard to think these things through clearly during these events.... at least for me.

Now, some people fight in sporting competitions. That is great... but its also something you know. You know the rules, you know how to train for it, you know what to expect. Many times, you even know things about your opponent. This is still part of knowing what you will fight for and when you will fight.

Now to the more "normal" approach to a fight plan.... what do I plan on doing when the fight starts. I fully agree with the ideas that the other guy will tell you how he wants to lose... and having the ability to go with the flow, in order to accomplish this. This means that I do not have a plan of use technique A, then if he does this use technique C else if he does that use technique M... I let the other guy show me how he wants to lose, and I do what needs to happen to fulfill his wish.

However, I do not passively wait for that. I try to get him to do what he does not want to do. If he wants to strike, I grapple.... if he wants to grapple, I strike. The idea is that is he wants to fight a certain way... its because he is good at that type of fighting. I take every advantage I can... which starts with not letting a kicker kick, not letting a puncher punch and not letting a grappler grapple. I want to attack his weakness, not his strength. I want him to fight me from his weakest position, not his strongest. Further, if I am able to make him change how he fights... I have the initiative. That is I have got a major advantage in that he is reacting to me, instead of me reacting to him.

Yes, every plan is great until you get punched in the mouth. But, when I do get punched in the mouth... I double down on trying to not let this guy punch any more... as apparently, that does not work out well for me....

(how is that for my 1000th post here on Martial Talk?)

OP
Kung Fu Wang

Kung Fu Wang

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
every plan is great until you get punched in the mouth. But, when I do get punched in the mouth... I double down on trying to not let this guy punch any more... as apparently, that does not work out well for me....
If you can wrap your opponent's arms, he can't punch you. That can be your plan.