Fighting in schools

senseiblackbelt

Green Belt
Reaction score
Yes, but that would depend on what is self defence, weighed against those looking for for it, and are just pissed off, using SD as a tool!

well sd is when someone throws the first punch and someone fights back. we both know that. using sd as an excuse because someone pissed you off isn't really an excuse.

Transk53

The Dark Often Prevails
Supporting Member
Reaction score
well sd is when someone throws the first punch and someone fights back. we both know that. using sd as an excuse because someone pissed you off isn't really an excuse.

Absolutely. Why I never threw the first punch, or at all was my preference. Saw to many people when arrested say, "it was self defence guv" As long as it is actually SD, and someone actually defending themselves. Bashing them because they hit you, and bashing them more, is not SD. IMHO :)

stonewall1350

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Such is life.

Sometimes you have to break the rules. Get caught and do the grind.

Of course i also come country founded by convicts.

Lol. Well. I guess to each there own. I get why the schools run the policy. It sucks. We used to have a choice on punishment there (I went to the school where I taught). You could call your parents or the dean could come up with something. I never called my parents lol.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

KenpoBoxer

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
To me I don't care where I am or what the rules are if someone tries to hurt me i'll fight back I won't just stand there like an idiot because im scared to get in trouble. The truth is a single punch to the face can kill someone so if someone takes a swing at me they could kill me so I'm not just going to let them. I wouldn't go over the top but I'd block it and put them down in any way possible and I'd face whatever happens with no regrets whether suspension or doing time or a fine or community service or whatever I'd have no regrets about it

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not necessarily, you do not have to wait until you are attacked for it to be self defence.
That depends upon how we define that term. I've always defined "self-defense" as what you do after someone starts an attack. Everything before that point is avoidance, which is a different skill (which I also incorporate in my program).

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My bet is everyone on this forum went to school as a kid. And every kid that ever went to a school knows what "defending yourself" is, was and always will be.

Ain't easy being a kid.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Double post computer burp.

BigMotor

Orange Belt
Reaction score
So my younger cousin who's 12 got into a fight at school the other day he was getting picked on by this kid in his class and the kid was pushing him and slapping him and threatening him.he then said he was going to smash his face I so my cousin punched him in the face and they got into a fight and got separated. But my cousin got in trouble because he threw the first /punch/ even though the other kid was slapping him and pushing him it was only the punch that they took notice about which to me is ridiculous. Also the fact he threatened him with physical violence as well.

I mean if the other guy was the other side of the room and yelled at him he was going to smash him I'm not saying it'd be right for him to run across the room and start beating him up but when someone's in your face being aggressive then says that I think that gives you a right to attack first because they're in close proximity in an aggressive situation and threatening violence.

I think with schools they just look at it image wise they see someone throw a punch automatically they're the one to blame but pushing and slaps that's agressive and could be counted as assault.

Teach him some hard slaps, that is martial arts too. You can smack the blood out of a nose, or temporarily blind the eyes with that technique.
No need for permanent injury or spite or anything like that. But the punk that gets slapped will feel like he has a lasting injury.
Show him how to turn one into a virtual punch. If he puts them right into the nose or the eyes, it can be very effective, if it is delivered with force.

PS: a hard kick to the shins will take out a punk too.

Last edited:

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
This phrase both frightens and offends my American sensibilities.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

That's because you don't know what they do. It's not a censor but somewhere you can complain to if you think a story is unfair or untrue. No one can afford to take newspapers to court here and sue them. The other thing the regulator does is to make sure journalists are honest, you may not have heard of the phone hacking problems here where certain journalists on the orders of their editors were using people to hack into phones for stories. This included the phone of a teenage murder victim whose phone was hacked so that her texts and messages appeared to have looked like they were read leading her parents to believe she was still alive when in fact she'd been brutally killed. The phone hacking was rampant, many were celebrities but more often than not it was the phones of people who'd been victims of crimes.
The IPSO is funded by the industry not government. it's as much for the journalists as anything.
About IPSO

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's because you don't know what they do. It's not a censor but somewhere you can complain to if you think a story is unfair or untrue. No one can afford to take newspapers to court here and sue them. The other thing the regulator does is to make sure journalists are honest, you may not have heard of the phone hacking problems here where certain journalists on the orders of their editors were using people to hack into phones for stories. This included the phone of a teenage murder victim whose phone was hacked so that her texts and messages appeared to have looked like they were read leading her parents to believe she was still alive when in fact she'd been brutally killed. The phone hacking was rampant, many were celebrities but more often than not it was the phones of people who'd been victims of crimes.
The IPSO is funded by the industry not government. it's as much for the journalists as anything.
About IPSO
Through the honest, compassionate, incorrupt, efficient mechanisms of government.

For some reason, I'm still frightened and offended.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Through the honest, compassionate, incorrupt, efficient mechanisms of government.

For some reason, I'm still frightened and offended.

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

It's not anything to do with the government, it's the journalist's own organisation.