fighting a faster opponent

L

Littledragon

ppko said:
If we are talking about actuall street fighting I wouldn't recomend taking them to the ground as you don't know if the person has friends around or if there is anything on the ground that can hurt you. The best way to beat a faster opponent in my oppinion is to try and attack them and keep them on there toes, hopefully you can end the fight rather quickly. Littledragon you are farelly knowledgeable for your age you just lack experience, I have enjoyed your posts and hope that you keep writing them.

Best Regards
PPKO
Thank you.

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
I noticed when I've been sparring that no one can spar conintuously for great lengths of time so its a matter of anticipating when the attack is coming and attack as your opponent is preparing his attack.
I noticed last night my partner was using feints but it was so obvious he was just about to attack me and I took advantage of that and attacked first.
And when you do get in close use knees. It was quite funny last night as it was turing into a Muay Thai fight because we had beend using round kicks and then we were allowed to use knees.

The Kai

Master of Arts
Reaction score
faster guys (or gals) tend to be smaller, use range against him. When he tries to set kicking range, you use long range hand techniques. When he goes to hand techniques clinch him and use your weight to your advantage. Works well, unless the other guy is savvy

Todd

7starmantis

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I think the key is feeling your opponent. Close the gap and get in close. If you stay connected with him/her you will feel what they are going to do before they pull it off, thus allowing you to be either out of the way, or attacking yourself. You can stay connected at the elbows and use their own force against them putting them off balance and thus open for your own attack. It doesn't matter how fast they are if you can feel where their energy is going and be out of the way when it gets there.

7sm

Tony

Black Belt
Reaction score
7* sounds like principles from Chi sau. Its unfortunate a lot of systems don't really do this as Taekwondo seems to be mainly a kicking art so hard to get close if your opponent is a good kicker because he can keep you at a distance with his legs.
Last night i was actually beginning to use some of the Mantis form moves while lightly sparring. Mantis is very fast with very fast hand speed.
We were even learning about the pressure point techniques involved in the form.
I remember a story of Bruce Lee back in the days when he lived in Hong Kong how he defeated a boxer. He was boxing aswell but basically using his Wing Chun skills to beat the other guy.

O

OC Kid

Ive been talking over and over about wakling away and making friends with my/your enemy. I still think that is the way. Enemies have friends they will come after you no matter how big a jerk there friend is. So fighting you just create more fighting but if you have to, no other way out

Then, all fighting whether it be against a faster opponent, stronger opponent, multiple attackers, whatever boils down to 3 things only,
1) Timing
2) Distancing
3) Footwork

The technique to be used is based on the DISTANCE, striking with the technique is based on the TIMING setting up the technique is based on the
FOOTWORK
Inna nutshell there is nothing else left regardless of system whether MMA TMA CMA what ever nothing else.
If you miss one of those or your enemy has better, you might as well go home and forget it .
I personally would rather just by them a cafe mocha and talk about whats playing at the movies....

nijima2000

White Belt
Reaction score
I personally would prefer not to take this fight to the ground. Even a smaller opponent can put you in a choke hold or pressure lock if the opportunity is available (I'm pretty sure the ground is like choke hold central). I would much prefer to wait, if they want to fight, they'll attack. If they can hit you then chances are you can hit them (unless you have really stubby arms and legs XD). If you prefect your timing, you can deal the deciding blow quickly and efficiently. My advice is, just don't chase them. Fight the battle of your terms, if they run, you win. If they stay, they've just made the mistake of fighting by your term. Be smart, be patient, be deadly.

any thoughts would be much appreciated.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
There is a great thread here about fighting someone who is stronger and bigger (...) how do you beat someone who is probably much faster, and is also tough, crazy, and has some strength too? (...) Any thoughts?
Big (strong) and untrained guys hate short distance. The thing here is to close distance without a punch.
Faster? Short, economic movements. Feints.
Tough, like Fedor? Forget.
Crazy? You're dead before seeing the crazy...

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 2 cents...

Unless you're reasonably sure there won't be outside interference, stay on your feet. I have several years of wrestling experience and a few more of coaching it (on the mat, not sitting in a chair), so I'm not uncomfortable with it.

On the ground, you're a sitting duck. You're open to a bottle in the back of the head in the mount, a kick in the face in the guard, etc. Obviously you're open to attacks from others while standing, but you're in a far better situation to get away. Engaging in a jujitsu match in the bar, outside the bar or anywhere else in public should be a last resort. A single intruder in your home, in the cage, competition, one on one in a parking lot is a different matter.

And please, let's not get into a semantic debate about self defense vs fighting. If you're attacked and have no other options, it's self defense; call it whatever else you want.

With a faster opponent, it's all about getting off the line of attack, using and creating angles. Ducking, slipping, "bobbing and weaving," etc. Stand toe to toe with them, and you're asking for trouble. This is pretty much universally true though.

Use angles, weather the storm, and create openings. Don't wait for them to stop to counter, because you won't get the chance to. If the punch is half way there, it's usually already too late to move and counter effectively.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Better timing beats better speed. Every single time. (see what I did there?)

But it does.

crazydiamond

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Close the distance - standing clinches, or locks, joint manipulations , or chokes

or...

"hey its the cops!" - pointing behind speedy who pivots his view ...whack !

Lameman

Green Belt
Reaction score
What I am not seeing a lot here, Stop, take a look at who you are fighting. There are a lot of different types of small fast guys. I'm 6'5" 350lbs. I don't like to fight 'em. But if you have to, and you have the time, take a look at your opponant. Where are their callouses? What is their stance? Keep in mind fast doesn't always mean powerful. Also, if you are slow and need a little speed, try using less, smaller movements. You can often outpace a quicker opponant who isn't using a good movement budget. My favorite thing to do, if they are a strong fighter, and you can safely go to ground, so not a street fight, back off and sit down. As Sun Tzu said, if you have to fight a stronger opponant, adopt a defencive position, and put something confusing in between. If your opponant is on his feet and you are no your back. You have a good base to both defend and attack. Further, most people are not used to fighting a sitting opponant. In the end there are no advantages, only people you don't know how to fight. Any opponant you can catch off guard, you can defeat.

DaveB

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Better timing beats better speed. Every single time. (see what I did there?)

But it does.

Timing mechanisms increase your over-all speed, which is a religious term, for moving fast and doing it well.

Following on from this line and contrary.to most of the advice thus far, I believe that against a faster opponent you need to create space and counter attack his attempts to close.

Someone suggested destroying balance to remove speed and a great way to do this is a thrust/stop kick into the shin of an advancing opponent.

Another tactic for us larger blokes is to "bully" the opponent. When I first started boxing I was chastised for having such precise techniques. I was told to sell my punches, putting weight and shoulder in to intimidate and unbalance the people I was fighting. It works really well unless the opponent is both skilled and composed. And if they have that as well as speed your not going to win anyway.

This is not to say that closing and grappling won't work, but the above is the striking option.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Creating space forces the faster guy to use longer movements to hit you. So it is a method that can work.

Staying conservative and not trying to strike around corners will also help.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
As a larger person, taking them to the ground and pinning/choking/locking them is always an option.

Latest Discussions