Fight Quest - Discovery Channel

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Now I really like the Kajukenbo system and there is no doubt based on my personal experiences with some practitioners that they are tough people.
icon14.gif
However, for some reason this show did not work for me. I do not know what element was missing but out of there shows it fell down the list but was still better than Hapkido, Savate, Kung Fu.

Now mind you I was out last night at a Bar and watched it afterwards so I will go back today and watch it again and maybe my mind will change.
icon6.gif

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Now I really like Kajukenbo system and there is no doubt based on my personal experiences with some practitioners that they are tough people.
icon14.gif
However, for some reason this show did not work for me. I do not know what element was missing but out of there shows it fell down the list but was still better than Hapkido, Savate, Kung Fu.

Now mind you I was out last night at a Bar and watched it afterwards so I will go back today and watch it again and maybe my mind will change.
icon6.gif

That is strange I thought this was a great episode and it truely showed what it is a no nonsense street effective system.

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Now I really like Kajukenbo system and there is no doubt based on my personal experiences with some practitioners that they are tough people.
icon14.gif

icon6.gif

I'd be interested in hearing the specific critiques of the episode.

Most of us enjoyed it quite a bit. I know one thing that was a bit different in the Kaju episode was the fact that they weren't trying to beat the crap out of them, but rather expose them to the art and train them. Even the final fights were more fair than in some other episodes where they would line up ten guys and have them fight one after the other, or work them to the point of exhaustion like the BJJ guys did before they put Doug against that girl. But then, I thnk they pointed that out too. They talked about how the Kaju guys took a family approach and care about not injuring them.

I don't know if that's what aspect that you were talking about that seemed to be missing, but it did make it a bit different than other episodes.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'd be interested in hearing the specific critiques of the episode.

Most of us enjoyed it quite a bit. I know one thing that was a bit different in the Kaju episode was the fact that they weren't trying to beat the crap out of them, but rather expose them to the art and train them. Even the final fights were more fair than in some other episodes where they would line up ten guys and have them fight one after the other, or work them to the point of exhaustion like the BJJ guys did before they put Doug against that girl. But then, I thnk they pointed that out too. They talked about how the Kaju guys took a family approach and care about not injuring them.

I don't know if that's what aspect that you were talking about that seemed to be missing, but it did make it a bit different than other episodes.

Well one thing I have to say about the Kajukenbo practitioner's that I have met is that they were tough but cool guy's!
icon14.gif
(we had several great work outs)

It was also clear that they were not trying to beat Doug or Jimmy into a pulp and I'm cool with that too.
icon14.gif
I cannot really put my finger on why the episode was not my favorite because like I said earlier think Kajukenbo is a great system but the show did jump out at me. :idunno:

Now clearly Doug and Jimmy had a good time. Kajukenbo exposed them once again to good solid self defense skills. As for the show maybe they could have had just a little more on the history of Kajukenbo and maybe also I might have enjoyed it a bit more with some other element in it.

Like I said I will watch it again later and see if I can put my figner on why I did not like it as much as I thought I would.
icon6.gif

Danjo

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Well one thing I have to say about the Kajukenbo practitioner's that I have met is that they were tough but cool guy's!
icon14.gif

It was also clear that they were not trying to beat Doug or Jimmy into a pulp and I'm cool with that too.
icon14.gif
I cannot really put my finger on why the episode was not my favorite because like I said earlier think Kajukenbo is a great system but the show did jump out at me. :idunno:

Now clearly Doug and Jimmy had a good time. Kajukenbo exposed them once again to good solid self defense skills. As for the show maybe they could have had just a little more on the history of Kajukenbo and maybe also I might have enjoyed it a bit more with some other element in it.

Like I said I will watch it again later and see if I can put my figner on why I did not like it as much as I thought I would.
icon6.gif

Yeah, they tended not to go into the history as much as the Human Weapon show does. Some people had pointed that out on another forum.

I am looking forward to your further review. (I'm not being sarcastic either, I'm just looking for an honest critique).

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Yeah, they tended not to go into the history as much as the Human Weapon show does. Some people had pointed that out on another forum.

I am looking forward to your further review. (I'm not being sarcastic either, I'm just looking for an honest critique).

Hey no sweat. I do not think you can review a system based of one show. My experiences with Kajukenbo have shown me that it is functional, effective and fun to train in. No doubt if I was over in your area we would be hooking up and training as we have lots of similarities in what we do.

As for the show well, I will watch it again today and see if I have the same impression.
icon6.gif

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
icon14.gif

icon14.gif

icon6.gif
I think it wasn't that something was missing... but that nothing really jumped out about the training, 'cause they'd done something similar in another episode.

I'm not saying it was the same, just that it wasn't different. The emphasis seemed "we're just a slightly formalized street fight"; there was no history, no explanation of the name, etc. I think a little bit could have been done...

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Okay I watched it again and did enjoy it more. (maybe I had been partying to much when I got back to watch it last night
icon6.gif
) Anyways, While I would rate a few of their other episodes above it I did enjoy it. The Kaju guy's as Danjo pointed out were great and did try to take care of Doug and Jimmy and were treating them like family which is cool. The training looked fun and definately I enjoy multiple people attack scenarios so that worked well. Some of the self defense blends with what I do as well. Like I said I did enjoy it more the second time around even if it was not my favorite FightQuest episode.
icon6.gif

MJS

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I thought the episode was excellent!!! Seemed to me that they touch just a bit on history and jump right into the training to focus on those methods, etc. Certainly a great group of people and even with the different groups featured, you can still see the ohana, as everyone came together in one family. :)

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Next 3 episodes for filming are:
"Kalari" in India,
"Muay Thai" in Thailand
"Bokatar" in Cambodia.

All three episodes sound good. I am curious about the Muay Thai/Bokator episodes. they are very, very similar arts in many ways so I hope they can highlight the differances.

As for Kalaripayattu well having trained some in it while in India I will defiantely look forward to that one.
icon6.gif
I am curious how they will have a challenge match though as I saw no sparring when I was there.

Reaction score
My wife called just about everyone she knew to watch the episode, cuz she recognized GM Gaylord as the guy she had been sitting beside and sharing a bottle of wine with at the Senkotiros Sama-Sama at the beginning of the month.

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Fight Quest

Well here's the update

The show was a hit.......originally "Fight Quest" was to play in the summer of 2008. Because of the "screen writers strike" Discovery needed to fill in some of their programing. Fight Quest was to be put on the air at the end of Dec 2007. at the time around Oct 2007, they had 3 more episodes to shoot starting with the USA Kajukenbo episode. They decided to just shoot the USA show and then see how it went.

After the USA "Kajukenbo episode aired, Discovery decided that they would pull the show off the air, and send the guys out to shoot 3 more episodes. Then replay the whole series in August 2008. Next week Doug, Jimmy, Jess (producer/director) and the rest of the crew fly out to Thailand to start the rest of the shooting.

Here are some links for the show:

http://www.bloodyelbow.com/story/2008/3/1/11950/08040 < WATCH THE SHOW ON LINE !

http://dsc.discovery.com/tv/fight-quest/fight-quest.html < FIGHT QUEST WEB SITE !

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I finally watched the Kajukenbo episode. It certainly expanded my knowledge of that art! I did not realize hos much contact and conditioning was involved in the training. I knew there was an emphasis on defending armed/multiple opponents but didn't realize how pervasive that was. I'm glad I watched it! Thanks Mr. Bishop for the inside view on the filming.

OP
John Bishop

John Bishop

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
FIGHT QUEST starts up again this saturday.

[FONT=Trebuchet MS,Verdana,Helvetica,sans-serif]
Sep 26, 9:00 pm
(60 minutes) Fight Quest
Thailand

TV-PG (LV), CC

Jimmy and Doug travel to Bangkok, Thailand to train in the most popular and brutal form of kickboxing in the world: Muay Thai.

Sep 26, 10:00 pm
(60 minutes) Fight Quest
India
TV-PG (LV), CC

Jimmy and Doug journey to Kerala, India to discover one of the most ancient and dangerous martial arts in the world: Kalarippayattu, a fighting style relies as much on swords and knives, as it does on kicks and fists.

Sep 27, 1:00 am
(60 minutes) Fight Quest
Thailand
TV-PG (LV), CC

Jimmy and Doug travel to Bangkok, Thailand to train in the most popular and brutal form of kickboxing in the world: Muay Thai.

Sep 27, 2:00 am
(60 minutes) Fight Quest
India
TV-PG (LV), CC

Jimmy and Doug journey to Kerala, India to discover one of the most ancient and dangerous martial arts in the world: Kalarippayattu, a fighting style relies as much on swords and knives, as it does on kicks and fists.

Oct 01, 12:00 pm
(60 minutes)
Fight Quest
Philippines
TV-PG (LV), CC

In this episode, our boys head to Manila to try their hands in the weapons-based Filipino art of Kali - one of the deadliest, most ancient fighting systems on earth.

Oct 01, 1:00 pm
(60 minutes)
Fight Quest
China
TV-PG (LV), CC

Our fighters head to China's legendary Songshan mountains to learn the mother of all martial arts: Kung Fu.

Oct 08, 12:00 pm
(60 minutes)
Fight Quest
Japan
TV-PG (LV), CC

Jimmy and Doug journey to Tokyo to learn the brutal bare-fisted fighting style known as Kyokushin Karate.

Oct 08, 1:00 pm
(60 minutes)
Fight Quest
France
TV-PG (LV), CC

Jimmy and Doug are off to the hard-scrabble port of Marseilles to learn France's contribution to the world of kickboxing - Savate, an elegant but brutal fighting form with kicks so dangerous they've been outlawed.

Oct 15, 12:00 pm
(60 minutes)
Fight Quest
Korea
TV-PG (LV), CC

Hapkido is Korea's gift to the world of martial arts and in this episode Jimmy and Doug learn the ins and outs of this deadly defensive art.

Oct 15, 1:00 pm
(60 minutes)
Fight Quest
Indonesia
TV-PG (LV), CC

In the remote streets of Bandung, Jimmy and Doug learn the ancient fighting art known as Pencak-Silat. While training with one of Indonesia's toughest Silat masters, Doug injures his foot and has to decide whether to fight in his final battle or not.
[/FONT]

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey John,

Thanks for the update as I am very interested in the India episode. (been there and trained and have lots of family in Kerela) Should be interesting.
icon14.gif

Latest Discussions