Feeling like I'm making some progress

Status
Not open for further replies.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am simply nonplussed by your response, in so many ways.

your patting him on the head for not putting much effort in, and then throwing all the excuses, possibly excuses you use yourself, as to why he shouldn't push himself, there the excuses for his impending failure

Way to not answer the question, and attempt a fallacious diversion in the process, more of a red herring than an actual ad hominem in my opinion. I've congratulated him on his progress. I've encouraged him to keep pushing, keep sweating and to not give into frustration. Otherwise, I've simply been working to dispel the nonsense you utter here. Oddly, I've not seen him making "excuses." On the contrary, he has been mentioning his success.

again he is 32, he will heal quickly and improve quickly, a ten mile walk will not cause him long term injuries , they just wont, but it will speed up his fitness gain and his weight loss.

Ten mile walks, even on flat ground, if you leap right into it, can cause a number of overuse injuries, from shin splints and even runner's knee, to bursitis and tendinitis. Any physical trainer who tells you otherwise is not competent. All of those injuries I mention, if serious enough, require down time to heal, which is counterproductive. Age has exactly zero to do with it.

when he fails and if he carries on with the same mentality he will, then you and the others that make up his supportive network will be partly responsible, for encouraging his " I'm not putting much effort into this" attitude.

More blame and guilt shifting. In other words, more fallaciousness.

he will post his near non existent process for a short while and then disappear when his improvements do. it's happened with multiple posters over the last couple of years

Or it could be they are just sick of your nonsense. Seriously, though, fitness can be a challenging thing, and needs to be part of a lifestyle change, something I have also mentioned here. If it and diet aren't seen as a change in lifestyle, they will likely not be successful.

its indicative of the modern world that people expect results with out putting total effort into things, then when they inevitably fail, they develop a victim mentality. and start blaming anything they can think off, except there own lack of dedication.

See above.

theres no science on gaining fitness that doesn't involve" progressive overload", with the emphasis on OVERLOAD, there little benifit in progressive underload

Actually, no. the emphasis is on both words. If it were just about overload, one could go to the gym and just keep slapping plates on the bar and go at it. Endurance athletes could get in shape for a 5K one day, and be ready for a marathon in short order. "Progression" is the key to success. In running, for example, most coaches and trainers of non-elite runners will say to increase weekly mileage by no more than 10% as a rule of thumb. Elite runners typically cycle their mileage based on the season, their race plans and more, but typically don't make huge jumps in weekly mileage either. Weightlifters, to my knowledge, since I have a bit less experience in that area typically base their training on their one rep max for a particular exercise, and, depending on what program they are using, base their workouts on percentages of that max. They don't figure out what their max is, and then go beyond it daily for training purposes, but only to modify their workouts as they progress.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
it's still mid afternoon here, im off for a 10 mile return walk to the woods, a three mile jog and a quick 30 mins work out on the assault course, it's one of my rest days, so not to heavy

what about you ?

So, let me get this straight. A ten mile walk through the woods. By my training, a fit person can be expected to walk about a 12:00 mile on flat ground, for one mile. As mileage increases, that time typically decreases, over uneven terrain it decreases even more. So, giving the benefit of the doubt, and saying a 15 minute mile, we're talking two and a half hours walking. For your average runner, race pace for a 5K (3.1 miles) is about a 7:30 mile, depending on age. Since training pace is less than race pace except for specific workouts that are typically shorter than the race distance, and you said a "jog," let's call it a 9:00 mile to be generous. That's three minutes short of a half an hour. Followed by another half hour on the assault course. So, your "rest days" are three and a half hours of workout. That's actual workout time.

My BS Meter just pegged in the red.

If you aren't lying, you are nearly an elite athlete. Which leads me to believe you were lying about the overweight ex-girlfriend, unless you were taking her on as a "project." If she did actually exist, based upon your statements here, I have to surmise that were mentally abusive to her when she failed to live up to your unrealistic expectations, which contributed to her downward spiral.

Whatever the case may be, I'm serious, get professional help.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am simply nonplussed by your response, in so many ways.

Way to not answer the question, and attempt a fallacious diversion in the process, more of a red herring than an actual ad hominem in my opinion. I've congratulated him on his progress. I've encouraged him to keep pushing, keep sweating and to not give into frustration. Otherwise, I've simply been working to dispel the nonsense you utter here. Oddly, I've not seen him making "excuses." On the contrary, he has been mentioning his success.

Ten mile walks, even on flat ground, if you leap right into it, can cause a number of overuse injuries, from shin splints and even runner's knee, to bursitis and tendinitis. Any physical trainer who tells you otherwise is not competent. All of those injuries I mention, if serious enough, require down time to heal, which is counterproductive. Age has exactly zero to do with it.

More blame and guilt shifting. In other words, more fallaciousness.

Or it could be they are just sick of your nonsense. Seriously, though, fitness can be a challenging thing, and needs to be part of a lifestyle change, something I have also mentioned here. If it and diet aren't seen as a change in lifestyle, they will likely not be successful.

See above.

Actually, no. the emphasis is on both words. If it were just about overload, one could go to the gym and just keep slapping plates on the bar and go at it. Endurance athletes could get in shape for a 5K one day, and be ready for a marathon in short order. "Progression" is the key to success. In running, for example, most coaches and trainers of non-elite runners will say to increase weekly mileage by no more than 10% as a rule of thumb. Elite runners typically cycle their mileage based on the season, their race plans and more, but typically don't make huge jumps in weekly mileage either. Weightlifters, to my knowledge, since I have a bit less experience in that area typically base their training on their one rep max for a particular exercise, and, depending on what program they are using, base their workouts on percentages of that max. They don't figure out what their max is, and then go beyond it daily for training purposes, but only to modify their workouts as they progress.
but ges not going straight into it, he has been walking for over a month now to my knowledge, blisters dont happen if you invest in a decent pair of shoes that fit, and blisters really your putting blisters down as a serious injury,and shin spins from a ten mile walk are totally unhear of, you've just made that up

all significant gains in fitness come from the last rep after you feel your shoulder are going to explode or the last 50 yards after you feel your going to collapse, training till failure is what's required that's the point you've reached over load, so yes bang plates on till yourten reps are to failure, if it's not then do a couple more till it is, then take some plates off and do some more, and 5hen some more. the progression is next week you bang even more plates on. you can't cruise through a work it at 40 % and expect to achieve much at all

are you really suggesting top runners dont put max effort into their training, that is comical

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, let me get this straight. A ten mile walk through the woods. By my training, a fit person can be expected to walk about a 12:00 mile on flat ground, for one mile. As mileage increases, that time typically decreases, over uneven terrain it decreases even more. So, giving the benefit of the doubt, and saying a 15 minute mile, we're talking two and a half hours walking. For your average runner, race pace for a 5K (3.1 miles) is about a 7:30 mile, depending on age. Since training pace is less than race pace except for specific workouts that are typically shorter than the race distance, and you said a "jog," let's call it a 9:00 mile to be generous. That's three minutes short of a half an hour. Followed by another half hour on the assault course. So, your "rest days" are three and a half hours of workout. That's actual workout time.

If you aren't lying, you are nearly an elite athlete. Which leads me to believe you were lying about the overweight ex-girlfriend, unless you were taking her on as a "project." If she did actually exist, based upon your statements here, I have to surmise that were mentally abusive to her when she failed to live up to your unrealistic expectations, which contributed to her downward spiral.

walking isn't exercise to me, it's what I do for pleasure and to please the dog, and for recovery , I feel no fatigue and never get an elevated heart rate, I can quite literally walk all day, 5 miles is of no concern at all, I walk 6 miles to my Karate class and the same homhome but then I dont own a car, so its walk or get the mountain bike out and the dogs not keen on riding on the cross bar

clearly if you think 3 and a half hours exercise is excesive you've never done a manual job, try rewiring a house one your own for 10 hours and then going running when you get home

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
but ges not going straight into it, he has been walking for over a month now to my knowledge, blisters dont happen if you invest in a decent pair of shoes that fit, and blisters really your putting blisters down as a serious injury,and shin spins from a ten mile walk are totally unhear of, you've just made that up

Odd, I never mentioned blisters. As for shin splints, I've seen it plenty of times in walkers. Funny, the first article I pulled up mentions it.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vi-rsa/...ese_10.html&cache=logged_out_content&type=ccf

all significant gains in fitness come from the last rep after you feel your shoulder are going to explode or the last 50 yards after you feel your going to collapse, training till failure is what's required that's the point you've reached over load, so yes bang plates on till yourten reps are to failure, if it's not then do a couple more till it is, then take some plates off and do some more, and 5hen some more. the progression is next week you bang even more plates on. you can't cruise through a work it at 40 % and expect to achieve much at all

are you really suggesting top runners dont put max effort into their training, that is comical

You're quite the fallacy factory aren't you. Your description of what I stated regarding weights is really a Strawman. Of course, it is possible that you are incapable of reading for comprehension. And funny, even in your Strawman, you describe progressive overload. Building your weight moving capability over time.

And yes, I am telling you elite runners don't put max effort into every run, every day. That would break down their bodies and not allow recovery time, among other things. There are tempo runs, recovery runs, fartleks and other types of interval training, speed days, "junk miles" and more, all of which combine to make better runners, whether in high school, college, or elite levels. For you to say otherwise, when you clearly don't know what you're talking about isn't comical, it is pathetic.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
walking isn't exercise to me, it's what I do for pleasure and to please the dog, and for recovery , I feel no fatigue and never get an elevated heart rate, I can quite literally walk all day, 5 miles is of no concern at all, I walk 6 miles to my Karate class and the same homhome but then I dont own a car, so its walk or get the mountain bike out and the dogs not keen on riding on the cross bar

Then you aren't doing it for "fitness" and not increasing your fitness by doing so. You lied about it, and shouldn't have mentioned it as part of your regimen, and only did so to sound impressive to others. Sucks to get called on it, doesn't it?

clearly if you think 3 and a half hours exercise is excesive you've never done a manual job, try rewiring a house one your own for 10 hours and then going running when you get home

Another red herring. But I'll see your re-wiring a house on your own and raise you a career as a combat medic in a combat arms unit, with deployments. My last deployment had me as an assistant squad leader for the Security Forces Area Reaction Force, often doing civilian clothes missions. I'm the one on the right in the hat:

IMG_0218.JPG

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Odd, I never mentioned blisters. As for shin splints, I've seen it plenty of times in walkers. Funny, the first article I pulled up mentions it.

https://www.discovery.co.za/vi-rsa/...ese_10.html&cache=logged_out_content&type=ccf

You're quite the fallacy factory aren't you. Your description of what I stated regarding weights is really a Strawman. Of course, it is possible that you are incapable of reading for comprehension. And funny, even in your Strawman, you describe progressive overload. Building your weight moving capability over time.

And yes, I am telling you elite runners don't put max effort into every run, every day. That would break down their bodies and not allow recovery time, among other things. There are tempo runs, recovery runs, fartleks and other types of interval training, speed days, "junk miles" and more, all of which combine to make better runners, whether in high school, college, or elite levels. For you to say otherwise, when you clearly don't know what you're talking about isn't comical, it is pathetic.
well, obviously your building ut over time, this week then next week and the week after,

well, now your saying things that I haven't said,so your compression is iffy,

I didn't say they run flat out every dayI dont lift heavy weights every day, like today my rest day, but neither do they bumble along at 40% effort for weeks at at time

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Then you aren't doing it for "fitness" and not increasing your fitness by doing so. You lied about it, and shouldn't have mentioned it as part of your regimen, and only did so to sound impressive to others. Sucks to get called on it, doesn't it?

Another red herring. But I'll see your re-wiring a house on your own and raise you a career as a combat medic in a combat arms unit, with deployments. My last deployment had me as an assistant squad leader for the Security Forces Area Reaction Force, often doing civilian clothes missions. I'm the one in the hat:

View attachment 22151
Haha, your a medic walking about in civilian clothes and your passing that off as hard work, my mum could do that and she 85

nb there are two with hats,

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I've definitely been making progress in the past 5ish weeks in many ways. My stamina has gotten better, posture is slowly improving (but still needs work), I can do techniques that really eluded me in my first few weeks, I'm not stomping around as much.

I know that rank isn't as important as some make it out to be, but it does serve a purpose for me, and that purpose is to serve as a sort of flag or marker that I'm making progress along my journey. It's nice to earn that next belt because it's an acknowledgement that yes, I am getting better and I'm learning more.

So it gave me a big confidence boost yesterday when my sensei told me what I needed to do for my first test and had me go through the sequence of techniques a few times. The next test isn't for several months of course, but I'm happy that I'll probably get to earn my first colored belt soon.

On a side note, testing for Shotokan seems quite different than my old style. For my test, I have to memorize the order of the techniques I'm being tested on and perform them in sequence. In my old style, I was given a list of things I had to know (along with the Japanese words for them). On test day, I'd be asked to demonstrate a random selection of the techniques (and they'd use Japanese to make sure I had learned the name). Perhaps this is more related to the fact that the Shotokan test is done at a regional seminar, unlike my old school which did their tests in house (and thus they didn't need to see every single technique performed since they already knew I could do it).

Keep it up, brother. It's a long game, enjoy the heck out of every step.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

why would I lie about an very fat girl friend, its not something to be proud of, I wouldn't take her out in public , as 1) people would laugh at me and two) she would attack thin girls who were chatting me up.

I was an elite athlete, before I discovered motorbikes, women and beer, and I will be again next year when I try out for the over 60s Olympics team, I can do a 16 second 100 meters , that got to get me a medal in the old codgers games

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
well, obviously your building ut over time, this week then next week and the week after,

well, now your saying things that I haven't said,so your compression is iffy,

I didn't say they run flat out every dayI dont lift heavy weights every day, like today my rest day, but neither do they bumble along at 40% effort for weeks at at time

I will assume you mean my "comprehension." However, you do, then, admit they don't give "max effort" which is precisely what you said. Those were your words, nothing I made up. I simply took them on their face as to what you meant. Nobody has said anything about "40% effort" either, except for you. Everyone has been saying to work to make steady progress, not pushing to the point of injury and frustration. I even referenced the quote about sweating when nobody is looking.

Haha, your a medic walking about in civilian clothes and your passing that off as hard work, my mum could do that and she 85

nb there are two with hats,

Odd, I could have sworn I said the one on the right in the hat, but oh well, I fixed it. Of course, I did mention I acted as an assistant squad leader, doing civilian clothes missions, or did you miss that part? I grabbed that picture because I didn't need to start pulling out USB drives and CD-Roms to find it. So here is another, getting ready to go out during training. What you can see:

Kevlar Helmet with goggles,
IOTV (with E-SAPI plates, front and rear)
M4 w/ CCO and full 30 round magazine
6-30 round magazines, fully loaded

What you can't see:

2 QT water supply
"Assault Pack" with cleaning kit, MRE, NVGs and other assorted items.

Total Weight above and beyond standard uniform: In excess of 80 pounds.

If I were running as the designated medic, I was also responsible for carrying a full aid bag, with bags of saline, trauma dressings and more, worth another 20 lbs or so. Training also consisted of various casualty carries, including one man, two man, improvised and litter carries.

A typical training day could consist of ruck marching 7-12 miles, working to keep a sub-15 minute pace (EIB and EFMB standards for 12 miles), training for movement under fire, establishing fire superiority, and more.

I take it your mother was an instructor at the Ranger School. (Prior U.S. Army will get the reference)
IMG_0006.JPG

Last edited:

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
why would I lie about an very fat girl friend, its not something to be proud of, I wouldn't take her out in public , as 1) people would laugh at me and two) she would attack thin girls who were chatting me up.

You tell me. So, then you are actually more shallow and pathetic than I thought.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I will assume you mean my "comprehension." However, you do, then, admit they don't give "max effort" which is precisely what you said. Those were your words, nothing I made up. I simply took them on their face as to what you meant. Nobody has said anything about "40% effort" either, except for you. Everyone has been saying to work to make steady progress, not pushing to the point of injury and frustration. I even referenced the quote about sweating when nobody is looking.

Odd, I could have sworn I said the one on the right in the hat, but oh well, I fixed it. Of course, I did mention I acted as an assistant squad leader, doing civilian clothes missions, or did you miss that part? I grabbed that picture because I didn't need to start pulling out USB drives and CD-Roms to find it. So here is another, getting ready to go out during training. What you can see:

Kevlar Helmet with goggles,
IOTV (with E-SAPI plates, front and rear)
M4 w/ CCO and full 30 round magazine
6-30 round magazines, fully loaded

What you can't see:

2 QT water supply
"Assault Pack" with cleaning kit, MRE, NVGs and other assorted items.

Total Weight above and beyond standard uniform: In excess of 80 pounds.

If I were running as the designated medic, I was also responsible for carrying a full aid bag, with bags of saline, trauma dressings and more, worth another 20 lbs or so. Training also consisted of various casualty carries, including one man, two man, improvised and litter carries.

A typical training day could consist of ruck marching 7-12 miles, working to keep a sub-15 minute pace (EIB and EFMB standards for 12 miles), training for movement under fire, establishing fire superiority, and more.

I take it your mother was an instructor at the Ranger School. (Prior U.S. Army will get the reference)View attachment 22152
walking about with a rucksack doesn't count as hard work either, I do that every walk as well,

40 % effort is what mayladdy is putting in, and your praising himfor it. 100% is where he should be, except on his rest days, then like the runners he can go about a bit easy

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You tell me. So, then you are actually more shallow and pathetic than I thought.
have you ever gone out with a girl the size of a double wardrobe ? if so I bet you hid her away, if not why not, I least I gave her a chance, well a lot more than one

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
the dog can't do the distance any more. he is 14. BA ck in theday, we would go out all day and cover an easy 20 miles or 30 off road mountain biking. so I augment it with hill sprints now.

yes youve the " till you drop " attitude that's all I'm suggesting as an exercise atttude
I get that you are doing kilometers but that is still ridiculous. You sir are truly a strange bird, just like the rest of us.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

He probably does in fact walk 2 and a half hours every day after work. When you’ve got no kids, significant other, friends, and so on, what else are you going to do. Most people with a full time job and a life don’t have 2.5 hours to dedicate to walking. And working out before or after.

Why didn’t I spend 2.5 hours walking and then working out for another hour or so? Simple. I’ve got a life.

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
walking about with a rucksack doesn't count as hard work either, I do that every walk as well,

Of course you do. And the last time you came to the U.S. you through-hiked the Appalachian Trail and the Pacific Crest trail in one season. On vacation.

Say, where did you get the E-SAPI plates for the IOTV and the Kevlar helmet? I would think those are hard to find on the civilian market. The civilian counterpart to the M4, the AR-15 is illegal there, isn't it? What do you carry instead?

Oh, wait, you don't carry that added weight, and you don't have to worry about the c-spine issues, knee and other musculoskeletal issues and more that carrying those weights over time cause to the military personnel that carry it.

Weight Of War: Soldiers' Heavy Gear Packs On Pain

[qoute]40 % effort is what mayladdy is putting in, and your praising himfor it. 100% is where he should be, except on his rest days, then like the runners he can go about a bit easy[/QUOTE]

You have no idea how much effort he is making. He has stated he still gets "wiped out" in karate class, which is hardly indicative of 40% effort. The problem is, you've made your statements, doubled down on them and now have no way out without admitting you were wrong. And you aren't man enough to do that.

Don’t bother. Seriously. You’re dealing with the Rainman.

People on the autism spectrum everywhere should take offense to that remark. He is offensive, reprehensible per se, and none to bright though.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions