Feeling like I'm making some progress

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
well he is clearly putting more effort in ? you only early thirtysomething, you should be able to go from slob to a semi reasonable athlete in 8 weeks. my sister who is 55 and hasn't exercised since she was 15. has been doing the couch to3k challenge and in six weeks she has gone from slowly jogging for 5x1 minete in3k to running the whole distance in half an hour and she has lost a ton of weight, she set her mind on doing a 10k race by late summer, I'm betting a) she does it, b) your still finding excuses by August

Yeah, ok, I'm sure a 340 pound person can become a semi-reasonable athlete in 8 weeks if they just work hard enough :rolleyes: Maybe on the moon or on the extreme weight loss show (is that even on anymore?). And who's finding excuses? I have literally made zero excuses in this thread. Just because I didn't accept your workout advice as the holy gospel doesn't make me some kind of loser that just doesn't want it enough, and just because I've only lost 16 pounds in 7ish weeks instead of whatever amazing number of pounds your sister lost also doesn't mean I am somehow less of a person. Maybe you're trying to be encouraging, but you're really just coming off as a jerk.

he is complaining that his progress isn't as fast as his friend, but then points out that his friend walk 10 times as far as he does in a week, most people could see that there may be a connection between effort and progress

Maybe you should read that post again. I wasn't complaining, I was commenting on the stupidity of comparing myself to others when we obviously have very different metabolisms and other factors between us. They aren't walking 10 times more than me. Chances are we're walking about the same. They go for a 4 or 5 mile walk in the morning about 5 days per week and then sit on their butt at work and at home the rest of the day. Meanwhile, I'm doing martial arts 4 - 5 times per week plus hitting the gym a few times and getting in steps wherever I can. AND I'm on a diet. So I think you can probably understand why I might feel a bit cheesed off that my friend is making more progress on the scale, but I'm clearly making good effort and progressing at the pace my body will let me

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It doesn't work that way. Weight loss and fitness are not linear for all people across the board. If I knew why it is harder for some than others to lose weight I would be a trillionaire. Claims from Weight Watchers and the like that anyone can lose xxx pounds in xxx days is just that, an advertising claim, aka typically a lie.
but we will never know, as it seems unlikely he will try and match his friend for effort, we wont find out if he weight lose would be the same, but theres a near certainty it would be greater than it is now.

people on here are just enabling him, he is 32 for God's sake, I thought he was 62 the way he is taking, but he put me right

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
but we will never know, as it seems unlikely he will try and match his friend for effort, we wont find out if he weight lose would be the same, but theres a near certainty it would be greater than it is now.

people on here are just enabling him, he is 32 for God's sake, I thought he was 62 the way he is taking, but he put me right
Enjoy you life while everything is still easy. Sooner or later it will change.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yeah, ok, I'm sure a 340 pound person can become a semi-reasonable athlete in 8 weeks if they just work hard enough :rolleyes: Maybe on the moon or on the extreme weight loss show (is that even on anymore?). And who's finding excuses? I have literally made zero excuses in this thread. Just because I didn't accept your workout advice as the holy gospel doesn't make me some kind of loser that just doesn't want it enough, and just because I've only lost 16 pounds in 7ish weeks instead of whatever amazing number of pounds your sister lost also doesn't mean I am somehow less of a person. Maybe you're trying to be encouraging, but you're really just coming off as a jerk.

Maybe you should read that post again. I wasn't complaining, I was commenting on the stupidity of comparing myself to others when we obviously have very different metabolisms and other factors between us. They aren't walking 10 times more than me. Chances are we're walking about the same. They go for a 4 or 5 mile walk in the morning about 5 days per week and then sit on their butt at work and at home the rest of the day. Meanwhile, I'm doing martial arts 4 - 5 times per week plus hitting the gym a few times and getting in steps wherever I can. AND I'm on a diet. So I think you can probably understand why I might feel a bit cheesed off that my friend is making more progress on the scale, but I'm clearly making good effort and progressing at the pace my body will let me
theres lots of 300 lb athletes about, top class athletes, semi reasonable is a lot easier to acheive

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score

so your friend is walking 25 miles a week, how far are you walking ? the last thread I read 2 miles nearly killed you or was it three .

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score

"Only lost 16 pounds in 7ish weeks?" Despite what... certain members... try to tell you, if you ask your doctor, a nutritionist or other medical professionals in the field, that is considered a healthy rate of weight loss. I won't tell you what worked for me, or for anyone I know, because I don't know you or what might work for your metabolism among other things. I simply won't be that presumptuous. I will say this: Keep doing what you're doing. Remember, you're in it for the long haul, and need to set healthy habits that you can maintain. If I am going to be guilty of "enabling" you, it is going to be doing what I can to enable you to keep making progress.

At this stage, DON'T compare yourself to others, for purposes of progress. DON'T give in to frustration if and when you plateau. DO listen to your doctor, and if you have one, a nutritionist. DO push forward when you want to stop, unless you're in pain. Remember what Mia Hamm said (and others before her): "The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking." Oh, and don't listen to Jobo.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Enjoy you life while everything is still easy. Sooner or later it will change.

I am 45 and agree that weight loss is almost always effort in results out.

So the friend is almost guaranteed to be doing something OP isn't.

My guess is diet will be high in sugar.

Now we can either talk about it like adults or we can pat OP on the head and tell him he is doing the best he can but unfortunately genetics.

Otherwise I would still suggest weights over walking at 150kg. High intensity interval. Cos you just have more control over what you are doing.

Last edited:
OP
Orion Nebula

Orion Nebula

Green Belt
Reaction score
so your friend is walking 25 miles a week, how far are you walking ? the last thread I read 2 miles nearly killed you or was it three .

I literally put in Sunday's post that I hiked 3+ miles on Sunday. How the heck would 2 miles of walking nearly kill me? Maybe you're thinking of someone else, but I never once said that a certain mileage of walking nearly killed me, wore me out, or otherwise had any effect on me. I did say that walking fast makes my lower leg muscles tighten up and eventually start hurting - maybe you're thinking of that? And if you really want to know, I walk anywhere from 20 to 30 miles per week. Depends on the weather and my schedule, and I typically walk a good deal more in the summer.

"Only lost 16 pounds in 7ish weeks?" Despite what... certain members... try to tell you, if you ask your doctor, a nutritionist or other medical professionals in the field, that is considered a healthy rate of weight loss. I won't tell you what worked for me, or for anyone I know, because I don't know you or what might work for your metabolism among other things. I simply won't be that presumptuous. I will say this: Keep doing what you're doing. Remember, you're in it for the long haul, and need to set healthy habits that you can maintain. If I am going to be guilty of "enabling" you, it is going to be doing what I can to enable you to keep making progress.

At this stage, DON'T compare yourself to others, for purposes of progress. DON'T give in to frustration if and when you plateau. DO listen to your doctor, and if you have one, a nutritionist. DO push forward when you want to stop, unless you're in pain. Remember what Mia Hamm said (and others before her): "The vision of a champion is bent over, drenched in sweat, at the point of exhaustion, when nobody else is looking." Oh, and don't listen to Jobo.

Thank you - I do know that I'm losing weight at a perfectly normal rate, but it does get frustrating when people I know seemingly shed more pounds with ease. But I do try to remember that I am me and they are them! But I am in this for the long haul - if I was going to quit, it would have been in the first two weeks or so! I also picked a diet approach that I find sustainable, and obviously it's working since both the number of the scale and my body are shrinking (hurray for looser clothes).

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I literally put in Sunday's post that I hiked 3+ miles on Sunday. How the heck would 2 miles of walking nearly kill me? Maybe you're thinking of someone else, but I never once said that a certain mileage of walking nearly killed me, wore me out, or otherwise had any effect on me. I did say that walking fast makes my lower leg muscles tighten up and eventually start hurting - maybe you're thinking of that? And if you really want to know, I walk anywhere from 20 to 30 miles per week. Depends on the weather and my schedule, and I typically walk a good deal more in the summer.

Thank you - I do know that I'm losing weight at a perfectly normal rate, but it does get frustrating when people I know seemingly shed more pounds with ease. But I do try to remember that I am me and they are them! But I am in this for the long haul - if I was going to quit, it would have been in the first two weeks or so! I also picked a diet approach that I find sustainable, and obviously it's working since both the number of the scale and my body are shrinking (hurray for looser clothes).
A lot of people lose a lot of weight in a relatively short time. They do some very restrictive diet and possibly add a ton of exercise. That’s all fine and good (sometimes anyway) except for one thing - they usually put it back on and then some down the road. Why? Typically the diet is too restrictive and the level exercise is too demanding to be sustainable.

I don’t know what you’re eating. I don’t know anything about you that you haven’t written here. All I can say is make changes that you can sustain far beyond hitting a number by a certain date. If that takes longer, so be it.if you’re trying to get into a wedding dress for July :) do what you’ve got to do to get there. If you’ve got some sort of competition coming up, do what you’ve got to do. I’m assuming those aren’t your goals.

Just like in MA training, forget everyone else. Their successes and failures don’t have any impact on yours.

And forget Jobo. What he’s saying here isn’t close to his level of idiocy displayed elsewhere.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I am 45 and agree that weight loss is almost always effort in results out.

So the friend is almost guaranteed to be doing something OP isn't.

My guess is diet will be high in sugar.

Now we can either talk about it like adults or we can pat OP on the head and tell him he is doing the best he can but unfortunately genetics.

Otherwise I would still suggest weights over walking at 150kg. High intensity interval. Cos you just have more control over what you are doing.
I cannot disagree with this. If I know someone is sloughing off then I will push them harder. Call it a hunch bit I do not think this is @Orion Nebula. He/she is making great strides and pushing themselves with some quality exercise and lifestyle activities. No whining, no why not me kind of statements. Should they observe others also trying to lose weight to compare and analyze? Absolutely. I will give he/she the benefit of a doubt until I have a reason not to. Not enabling. I could not be farther from that kind of person.
Again, unless you personally know them you are making broad statements with no foundation.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score

Back in my 20's when I was competing at a very high level I was training 5-6 days/week, 4 hours/day, and working a 40 hour job. I watched my diet closely from an athletes perspective (nothing to do with weight loss/gain) and hydration was paramount. There were many, many times I lost 5-6 pounds in a day, but it would be back in 24 hours. It had to be water weight the way it fluctuated. I have always done this, not sure why. It was really frustrating when I wrestled and was needing to make weight.
I have followed your posts closely. @jobo clearly has not.

Yokozuna514

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score

Don't worry about the 'noise'. What I mean about 'noise' is the comments from people that are not positively supporting your effort to change your life. It will take the time it takes. This is your journey and no one elses so you are correct to not compare yourself to your friend. If he is shedding weight on the scale at a quicker rate than you are, then it is worth the listen to see how he is able to do it. Maybe you can adapt it to your journey and see some quicker results but the most important thing is that you stay focused on what YOU can do.

Sure there are tons of examples of people that are in your weight range and have lost the weight quickly. As many have stated weight loss is a question of not only eating better and healthier but eating less. Not everyone has the discipline to do that initially and require assistance. Most of the dramatic weight loss stories that I have personally heard came from people that had a gastric bypass. That, to me, is an extreme measure but I won't question the decision that people make for themselves.

I've lost 40 lbs since I started training 10 years ago. My body has been changing slowly since the beginning but outwardly, it was not a straight line downwards. The first 15 lbs came from the increase in exercise. I lost it within 1 year and plateaued for the longest time. I hadn't changed my diet yet, in fact, I found that the increased exercise allowed me to eat whatever I wanted whenever I wanted without putting the weight back on. The next 15 lbs came off by reducing my beer intake ;). Reducing the quantity and switching to a light beer helped me get to the next plateau. The only thing left for me to adjust was my food intake. That's how I've been able to lose the additional 10 lbs but I have a ways to go to get to my goal. My story is far from being a dramatic weight loss story but to me it has been rather painless as well. I continue to be encouraged as my health has probably never been better and I am more conscious of what eat and drink which is to me a positive switch in lifestyle direction.

Don't worry about the noise Orion Nebula. Do what you can do and keep moving in the direction you want to go. If you pick up better ways to meet your goal along the way, more power to you, adopt and adapt. Good luck.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I cannot disagree with this. If I know someone is sloughing off then I will push them harder. Call it a hunch bit I do not think this is @Orion Nebula. He/she is making great strides and pushing themselves with some quality exercise and lifestyle activities. No whining, no why not me kind of statements. Should they observe others also trying to lose weight to compare and analyze? Absolutely. I will give he/she the benefit of a doubt until I have a reason not to. Not enabling. I could not be farther from that kind of person.
Again, unless you personally know them you are making broad statements with no foundation.
well you can make some pretty accurate assessment about people from there appearance or in this case a persons description of there appearance. if someone is 150/ 200 lbs over weight, excluding some very rare genetic abnormality, then they are either lazy or greedy or probably both, and severely lacking in self respect, or they wouldn't have let themself get that way. now if people are happy that way fair enough,

but very few of them are and have a history of starting diets/ exercise and after modest improvements give up and start sitting on the couch, stuffing cheeseburgers again. so we can add lack of motorvation/ self discipline to the list.

there not fat by some unfortunate accident, there fat by virtue of significant personality flaws, and unless they manage to change their personality, they will remain fat until they pass on prematurely usually from heart problems.

I had a fat girl friend, she was 50 lbs over weight when I met her, she said she was on a diet, so i went out with her on the proviso she lost weight, 5 years later and literally 100s of diet attempts she was 100 lb over weight. I'd spent much of that time supporting her efforts, going to weight watchers with her, encouraging her to go for long country walks, i bought her hiking shoes and a mountain bike. before it finally occurred to meg that it was pointless, she was just lazy and greedy and lacking in self respect and wasnt going to change that so I finished the relationship

. she said " your finishing with coz I'm fat arnt you " I said no" I'm finishing with as your the type of person who is fat" and I'm tired of trying to help someone who doesn't want to put the effort in to be a better person." but I've got an eating disorder " she said "exactly your eating disorder is that your greedy and lazy"
and ironically a doctor

the final straw was when, she got stuck in the bath because if her fatness, as one , getting a250 lbs soapy fat girl out of the bath nearly killed me, she wouldn't let me ring the fire brigade for some reason. and I saw my future as looking after a self causing invalid for the rest of my life, no thanks, no more fat girls for me

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Yes there are, and not a damn one got there in eight weeks.
which wasnt my point, but 8 weeks is more than enough for a 32 yo to gain a reasonable standard of fitness to, it would take 8 to ten times longer if he was 52.

it wont be enough time to loose all his weight, but there are over weight fit people around, lots of them in sports were body weight is an advantage. which was my point, some of these eat incredible amounts to sustain their fatness, as their fitness tries to strip it away

DocWard

Purple Belt
Reaction score
which wasnt my point, but 8 weeks is more than enough for a 32 yo to gain a reasonable standard of fitness to, it would take 8 to ten times longer if he was 52.

it wont be enough time to loose all his weight, but there are over weight fit people around, lots of them in sports were body weight is an advantage. which was my point, some of these eat incredible amounts to sustain their fatness, as their fitness tries to strip it away

Let's be clear as to what your point has been. It has been to personally attack Orion Nebula's efforts, for reasons known only to yourself.

ON described how much improvement he has made as to his cardiovascular health, being able to attack hiking trails he never could before, as well as get through his karate classes more successfully. You feel the need to attack him because his progress doesn't seem to fit with what you think it should be, apparently based upon your sister's C25K program.

When the subject of weight was brought up, he acknowledged the folly of using a friend as a yardstick in his progress, when his progress has been what most professionals in the field recommend their patients strive for as being healthy and sustainable. Yet, you feel the need to attack him and belittle him for not making the same progress as his friend, making blanket accusations for no reason and with no rational basis.

Since you've taken pains to inform us of your sister's weight issues and recent success and your former girlfriend's weight issues and lack of success in unnecessary detail, perhaps your personal experiences color your thoughts on the issue and you need to seek the help of a professional in dealing with them, so you aren't attempting to berate others and accusing them of making excuses when they are clearly doing just the opposite.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
well you can make some pretty accurate assessment about people from there appearance or in this case a persons description of there appearance. if someone is 150/ 200 lbs over weight, excluding some very rare genetic abnormality, then they are either lazy or greedy or probably both, and severely lacking in self respect, or they wouldn't have let themself get that way. now if people are happy that way fair enough,

but very few of them are and have a history of starting diets/ exercise and after modest improvements give up and start sitting on the couch, stuffing cheeseburgers again. so we can add lack of motorvation/ self discipline to the list.

there not fat by some unfortunate accident, there fat by virtue of significant personality flaws, and unless they manage to change their personality, they will remain fat until they pass on prematurely usually from heart problems.

I had a fat girl friend, she was 50 lbs over weight when I met her, she said she was on a diet, so i went out with her on the proviso she lost weight, 5 years later and literally 100s of diet attempts she was 100 lb over weight. I'd spent much of that time supporting her efforts, going to weight watchers with her, encouraging her to go for long country walks, i bought her hiking shoes and a mountain bike. before it finally occurred to meg that it was pointless, she was just lazy and greedy and lacking in self respect and wasnt going to change that so I finished the relationship

. she said " your finishing with coz I'm fat arnt you " I said no" I'm finishing with as your the type of person who is fat" and I'm tired of trying to help someone who doesn't want to put the effort in to be a better person." but I've got an eating disorder " she said "exactly your eating disorder is that your greedy and lazy"
and ironically a doctor

the final straw was when, she got stuck in the bath because if her fatness, as one , getting a250 lbs soapy fat girl out of the bath nearly killed me, she wouldn't let me ring the fire brigade for some reason. and I saw my future as looking after a self causing invalid for the rest of my life, no thanks, no more fat girls for me
Well, that is funny in a very sad and unusual way. But you have a very, very sad and unusual style. Maybe everyone across the pond is that way from my perspective. But I would not put my opinion of you on anyone else so I do not think so. I will leave your flawless self to you own devices.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Let's be clear as to what your point has been. It has been to personally attack Orion Nebula's efforts, for reasons known only to yourself.

ON described how much improvement he has made as to his cardiovascular health, being able to attack hiking trails he never could before, as well as get through his karate classes more successfully. You feel the need to attack him because his progress doesn't seem to fit with what you think it should be, apparently based upon your sister's C25K program.

When the subject of weight was brought up, he acknowledged the folly of using a friend as a yardstick in his progress, when his progress has been what most professionals in the field recommend their patients strive for as being healthy and sustainable. Yet, you feel the need to attack him and belittle him for not making the same progress as his friend, making blanket accusations for no reason and with no rational basis.

Since you've taken pains to inform us of your sister's weight issues and recent success and your former girlfriend's weight issues and lack of success in unnecessary detail, perhaps your personal experiences color your thoughts on the issue and you need to seek the help of a professional in dealing with them, so you aren't attempting to berate others and accusing them of making excuses when they are clearly doing just the opposite.
ii haven't attacked him personally, I've attacked lazy greedy people with no self discipline in general. its self inflicted they dont deserve tea and sympathy any more than junkies do.

your just enabling them by giving excuses as to why they can't get of their rear end and sort it out.

if he managed to walk three miles he should have gone for 10, effort and reward, that may actually start to make a differance

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
ii haven't attacked him personally, I've attacked lazy greedy people with no self discipline in general. its self inflicted they dont deserve tea and sympathy any more than junkies do.

your just enabling them by giving excuses as to why they can't get of their rear end and sort it out.

if he managed to walk three miles he should have gone for 10, effort and reward, that may actually start to make a differance

It's been clear for a long time that your compassion for humanity knows definite bounds. Sadly, your ignorance of addiction and mental illness doesn't seem to.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It's been clear for a long time that your compassion for humanity knows definite bounds. Sadly, your ignorance of addiction and mental illness doesn't seem to.
ok if your saying he is mentally ill,I've got a ha'penny of sympathy, but unless he is in mortal fear of alien abduction that does stop him exercising by going for a walk

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest Discussions