Feeling guilty.

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Hey guys. Been a bit since I have posted.

I took a small break through the holidays, and I went to 1 class last week since returning.

My wife has been away on training, and so I missed a class last week because I wanted to be home when she came back.

She's away again this week, and I wasn't feeling well Monday so I skipped out. We have sparring tonight, but I'm feeling like I should just take the rest of the week. Because my wife will be coming back into town tonight and I want to spend some time with her and my son. I thought about cleaning up the house/picking up some flowers for her.

I don't like going to sparring class when I haven't properly worked out with the fundamentals earlier in the week (monday). I also owe my instructor for this months dues, and I don't get paid til tomorrow.

I'm beating myself up over missing a week.. Should I be?

Daniel Sullivan

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Sounds like time with your family is more important than time in training. Nothing wrong with that and nothing to be guilty over.

Daniel

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No don't beat yourself up! Your family comes first! We all have things that come before our training, families, jobs, relationships etc any instructor worth their salt knows this and missing a week won't matter in the long run. I think cleaning the house for your wife would be a far better thing to do than train if you have to make a choice! For most people training in martial arts is a luxury which has to be fitted in between the 'real life' things. It would be lovely if we could all train full time, live a martial arts 'way of life' and not have to worry about paying bills, working, and all the real life things but for most of us it isn't going to happen any time soon.
So, tend to your wife and son, don't feel guilty (nor about being late with payment either, times aren't good and we all know whats it's like) then go back to your training fresh from your break.
Now I'm off on night shift!

bluekey88

Senior Master
Reaction score
What Tez sdaid.

You seem to have your priorities straight...that's nothing to feel guilty about, in fact, it's quite admirable!

Peace,
Erik

Aefibird

Green Belt
Reaction score
Nothing to feel guilty about, I'm sure your instructor will understand that family comes first! :)

I'd be more worried if I were you if you were wanting to go to training and NOT spend time with your wife/son.

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was more worried because I tested for red belt right at christmas.. so he was closed christmas/new years and we have just started to get to learning new material and here I am missing a week of class. But, I know my family is whats important and I think my wife will appreciate it if I do those things today.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I was out for a month before the holidays. It started with an injury, and then spent some time with my family. No reason to feel guilty. I am pretty sure Sa Bum Nim will understand.

granfire

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I have not worked out since summer. Sometimes life takes priority!

I am sure your wife will appreciate the house being picked up and that you thought about her! the dojang will be there next week, too!

Kacey

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Family is always first... and how would you feel if you'd neglected your family for your TKD? Family, job, religion (if any), then TKD - and never feel guilty about it.

Latest Discussions