FDA Says Walnuts Are Drugs and Doritos Are Heart Healthy

wushuguy

Purple Belt
Reaction score
http://www.gaia-health.com/articles...are-drugs-and-doritos-are-heart-healthy.shtml

About the walnuts:
Based on claims made on your firm's website, we have determined that your walnut products are promoted for conditions that cause them to be drugs because these products are intended for use in the prevention, mitigation, and treatment of disease. The following are examples of the claims made on your firm's website under the heading of a web page stating "OMEGA-3s ... Every time you munch a few walnuts, you're doing your body a big favor.":
About potato chips:

Frito-Lay snacks start with real farm-grown ingredients. You might be surprised at how much good stuff goes into your favorite snack. Good stuff like potatoes, which naturally contain vitamin C and essential minerals. Or corn, one of the world's most popular grains, packed with Thiamin, vitamin B6, and Phosphorous – all necessary for healthy bones, teeth, nerves and muscles.

OnlyAnEgg

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
From what I've seen around the web, the walnut issue is one of misleading labelling. It's been suggested that Diamond, the walnut company, is promoting walnuts as a curative item and the FDA is responding to that statement. The FDA's not claiming walnuts are a drug; but, that they're being advertised as one and that's misleading.

Deaf Smith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Walnuts a drug? Does that make me a drug addict?

Deaf

Gordon Nore

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to bring my lunch to work to economize, but once a week I let loose, purchase a submarine sandwich combo with a bag of Doritos from Subway (remember Jared?), so that must make me some kind of health and fitness god.

Cool.

punisher73

Senior Master
Reaction score
I try to bring my lunch to work to economize, but once a week I let loose, purchase a submarine sandwich combo with a bag of Doritos from Subway (remember Jared?), so that must make me some kind of health and fitness god.

Cool.

I can't remember what health magazine I read this in, but they were evaluating all the "new" fad diets at the time. They discussed the Subway diet and how it showed Jared eating a healthy sandwhich and walking during the day for exercise etc. Apparantly, the truth of the matter was Jared's apartment was ABOVE the Subway and the only walking he did was downstairs. The other thing was he would get only one sandwhich a day and that WAS ALL he ate the entire day. All his weight loss came as a startvation diet because he severely restricted his calories so much.

The FDA does some weird stuff and has been targeting companies that say that natural food can lead to healthy "curative" type things. They targeted Cheerios awhile back I believe because it said that their whole grains etc. could help lower cholesterol. The FDA contends that nutrition can not "cure" anything. Really? What's the cure for scurvey again?

My opinion is that drug companies line the FDA's pockets. Look at some of the things they have banned and approved. Look into the history of aspartame and how that got approved by them.

Latest Discussions