Favorite Martial Arts Quote

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
What's your favorite martial arts related quote and who said it?

I'm looking from anything that has had a profound impact in your training or life to anything that is just funny.

Let's hear em!

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A couple of weeks ago, after sparring, my Sifu said, "Big Don, you've gotten a lot better."
That was a personal highlight, but, probably not what you're looking for...

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
There's a couple that I recall instantly, which probably means that meant something to me when I first heard them :D.

The first is Bruce Lee's whole 'pointing a finger at the moon' sequence from Enter the Dragon. It brought home to me the difference between focus and perception.

The second is from the much more recent Last Samurai, where the village head comes to Tom Cruise's character whilst he was practising and made the deliciously short "Too many mind" advice. Just because it sounds like a hokey aphorism doesn't mean it's not true :D.

terryl965

<center><font size="2"><B>Martial Talk Ultimate<BR
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Pain is only in your mind - old instructo

Remember fighting does not make you right, it only makes you right for that moment. - Another instructor

If only you was a real man, then I would not mind hitting you - same instructor about another student a long time ago. This one is my favorite.

Grenadier

Sr. Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"If you show your face in here again, I'm gonna hit you with so many rights, you'll be begging me for a left!" - Chuck Norris, in Invasion USA.

xJOHNx

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Maybe a classic:

“If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” Bruce Lee

Works for me both in training, weightlifting, stuying and doing other things.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
"If you show your face in here again, I'm gonna hit you with so many rights, you'll be begging me for a left!" - Chuck Norris, in Invasion USA.

Or, as a friend of mine was fond of saying, "I'll hit him so hard and so fast he'll be yellin' ya'll stop!"

celtic_crippler

Senior Master
Reaction score
"Desire is not enough, one must do. Knowldege is not enough, one must apply." - Bruce Lee

"In the end it matters not who is right, it matters who is left" - Ed Parker

"He who hesitates, meditates in the horizontal position." -Ed Parker

"Those who don't remember to keep their hands up wear a black eye for a trophy" - unknown

"It's kenpo...it's supposed to hurt." -Me

"My nuts may be small, but they hurt big!" - A 10 year old student I just took on whose first class was this past Saturday...classic. LOL

Jaspthecat

Orange Belt
Reaction score
"Get in, strike, get out, don't stand there admiring your handywork" - my MT instructor

"Kick him in the nuts" - my Krav Maga instructor

Big Don

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
My Sifu when asked by a new student why there are so many groin shots in Kenpo techniques: "Because it works, every time."

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
My Sifu when asked by a new student why there are so many groin shots in Kenpo techniques: "Because it works, every time."

My sensei says that we practice kicks and strikes to the groin, not the testicles. They just happen to be in the way.

K831

Black Belt
Reaction score
"I will hurt you, but I will never harm you" - My Kenpo instructor, explaining the importance of pain, and the difference between it and injury.

I fear not the man who has practiced 10,000 kicks once, but I fear the man who has practiced one kick 10,000 times.
~ Bruce Lee

"Traditionalists often study what is taught, not what there is to create"
- Ed Parker

"When pure knuckles meet pure flesh, that's pure Karate, no matter who executes, or whatever style is involved."
- Ed Parker

"The shotgun approach is fine, if you have already taken the rifle approach in one style"
- My kenpo instructor explaining the importance of a good base in one style before trying to dabble in multiple styles.

still learning

Senior Master
Reaction score
Hello, " Silence is Golden" Better to look stupid than opening the mouth and remove all doubt...

...hum? ...reminds of someone...still learning here...

Aloha,

Catalyst

Blue Belt
Reaction score
The fight is won or lost far away from witnesses - behind the lines, in the gym, and out there on the road, long before I dance under those lights.
- Muhammad Ali

The more you sweat in training the less you bleed in battle.
- Author Unknown

Everyone has a plan 'till they get punched in the mouth.
- Mike Tyson

Latest Discussions