Favorite/Hated thing/s about Ninjutsu/Ninjitsu

K

Kalifallen

Is there anything that you like or don't like about the art? What?

I personally enjoy the variety. Don't really like how they don't teach everything (where's all the water training, survival training, etc?).

OP
J

jibran

Kali, I think that all of the skills are not taught immediately because some have a grounding in others (ie. Everything is built upon taijutsu).

OP
E

Elizium

If you ask questions about training and what you hate about it... then why are you training in the first place in something you do not like?

As for water training ETC, go to the local pool and swim. Survival.... Join the Marines. I await the next idiotic question in the shadows.:whip:

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elizium said:
If you ask questions about training and what you hate about it... then why are you training in the first place in something you do not like?
I dunno... there are things I hate about my training, but there are more things I like about it than hate.

I think, in most aspects of life, we find things we hate in the things we love to do... I love Rollercoasters, I hate Lines... I love Rock Climbing, I hate the shoes... I love my Ninjutsu training, but I hate the seated Kata that I am doing...

The Enjoyment I get from the first part of all of those outweighs the little things I hate.

Don Roley

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Elizium said:

Tricky question. I think that if you hate something as a whole, you should not be doing it. But I know a guy who hates to get up early who will wake up before 5 am in order to get to the ski area in time. It is kind of like the cost you get for something better.

In my case, I had a senior student to me go over my basics here in Japan. The basics I had gotten in America was off by the standards here, and so this guy took me aside and showed me the ropes. It was not fun at all. Every little mistake was pulled out and my nose was rubbed in it. The guy had the bed- side manner of Attila the Hun. But I learned. There were nights I was shaking in frustration as I went home after those sessions, but I started practicing what I was shown as soon as I got back. I was tempted to quit, but almost immediatly got angry at myself for even considering stopping just because I was not good enough. So, through a combination of stupidity and stubborness, I kept on and I think I got better.

I still try to work out with that senior student whenever I can- even though he will not let me do a technique if there is even a small flaw in it. It is frustrating, which I hate. But when I can get the move to work it means there are no mistakes in it. I could just go off and practice on my own, start my own style and convince myself that I am so good I don't need any more corrections or instruction from others. I might be the first to do so. :rolleyes: But I would rather go through the frustration than wallow in self- deciet. I am just selfish that way.

Shogun

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
From what I have gotten out of my Aiki/shinto training, Japanese philosophy is full of the "suffering increases strength" theme. this is not just physical suffering, but mental and spiritual as well. which sometimes, outweigh the physical by a couple hundred pounds.

basically, the stuff you hate makes the stuff you like better. and the stuff you hate now, is the fundamental core to what you will like doing later.

OP
P

Peaceful Tiger

Elizium said:

As for water training ETC, go to the local pool and swim. Survival.... Join the Marines. I await the next idiotic question in the shadows.:whip:
If you're going to accuse my good friend Kali of posting idiotic questions then please have the courtesy to fully read them first.

We all have things in ninjutsu that we like and don't like so much, it's just the way of things. You shouldn't be expected to love everything about training. No doubt even a person of your high moral stature must have things about training that you like or don't like, or maybe that's a little presumtious of me to even assume that of you, or maybe even idiotic?

...And by the way, accusing people of making idiotic posts is not a good way to make friends on a forum. It's people like you that make training that much harder for the rest of us.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Technopunk
-MT Moderator-

OP
P

Peaceful Tiger

Technopunk said:
Mod. Note.
Please, keep the conversation polite and respectful.

-Technopunk
-MT Moderator-
Sorry Techno, although I don't think accusing people of making idiotic posts is in any way respectful, do you?

I must say that I am getting pretty fed up reading posts where my pal Kalifallen is being continually flamed and nothing seems to be getting done about it.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Peaceful Tiger said:
Sorry Techno, although I don't think accusing people of making idiotic posts is in any way respectful, do you?

I must say that I am getting pretty fed up reading posts where my pal Kalifallen is being continually flamed and nothing seems to be getting done about it.
Peaceful Tiger,

That was a general warning to remind everyone in the thread to be Polite, it was not just directed at you.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This has nothing to do with ninjutsu, but I for one am not too enamored with daisho sabaki techniques. Just doesn't seem very logical to punch someone in the face if both him and I are wearing swords in our belts.:idunno: (As a side note - if one assumes that a shoto or tanto is more suitable for fighting indoors than a katana, suddenly it doesn't seem to be very much of a peace sign to put down your daito when entering someone else's house...)

And yes, I know, we're training concepts of movements and not techniques. But it still feels a little awkward.:lookie:

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Shogun said:
From what I have gotten out of my Aiki/shinto training, Japanese philosophy is full of the "suffering increases strength" theme. this is not just physical suffering, but mental and spiritual as well. which sometimes, outweigh the physical by a couple hundred pounds.

basically, the stuff you hate makes the stuff you like better. and the stuff you hate now, is the fundamental core to what you will like doing later.
lol !!

I think I like that entire post. That "hardship increasing constitution" concept though, hate to break it you is not isolated to Japanese philosophy, look at buddhism and other aescetic systems for examples. But in getting back around to the thread topic, I couldn't agree with you more Shogun!!

So moving along.....
In relation to ninjutsu though, I love the kujikiri, I even love the stretches and pre-kujikiri warm ups.

I dig that ninjutsu has the philosophy it does ( which is a whole new thread altogether) and I love the alt. fighting means it incorperates ( as in throw sand in someones eyes and slip around the back while they're temporarily blinded and roll your way outta there. THAT is a comically effective classic!!! HOw do you not appreciate that!!?? lol..........

I am and always will be a small chick weighing usually 45-47 kgs . Ninjutsu was developed as a small mans art for the av farmer type against the typically massive samurai. One of many perfect arts for my build.
I also love it's grappling and find it far more kick *** ( can I say that on these boards) than many other grappling styles, as in it's techs have means to really get the job done( like snapping a head from a spine just to be clear,......or breaking a finger in a trigger) allowing for lesser variations in the process. I like knowing it's there if necc.( not that I'd use it , but it's comforting right??????? ( blushes) )

Oh and the climbing techs..........like that too as a point of fitness interest ;)

Don't like..........errrmm.....aahhhhh......let you know when I discover it :D

and everyone else???

Blooming Lotus

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
This should be good...perhaps there was some use to stickys after all...

Kaith Rustaz said:
5) Video games, fiction books, movies are not Ninjutsu. If you come off sounding as if you just walked out of one, don't be surprised when no one takes you seriously.
:rtfm:

Blooming Lotus

Purple Belt
Reaction score
you know , that sounds like it's being addressed to me and all I'm saying on your quote regardless is that I don't guess you've spent much time travelling the back streets China recently ha. You'd be surprised what you see and use in the "real " world. ;)

OP
P

Peaceful Tiger

Don't worry too much about it lotus, there's not a lot of support on these boards, just too many people who are too eager to have a nasty dig at others.

Grey Eyed Bandit

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I for one feel like I'm doing someone a disservice by supporting an erroneous perspective on things...but that's me, again.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Guys... (and laides) Lets stick to the topic at hand, while this is a thread about opinions, lets express them politely... Thanks.