• rapier

• katana (or other oriental blade)

• other... please elaborate below

Results are only viewable after voting.

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I take little notice as to the date someone joined this forum, I do however take notice when someone says something quite unorthodox and then does not take the time to further explain themselves when questioned.

What’s the big secret?

padric

White Belt
Reaction score
My favorite blade is the banshee. It is my go to sword. I use it everyday and have for eight years. I have two
Itenerant metaphysican, seeker of truth.
There is magic in every art, and when the magical becomes every day then you are an artist.
What was the question? I will anwer PM's

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
My favorite blade is the banshee. It is my go to sword. I use it everyday and have for eight years. I have two
Itenerant metaphysican, seeker of truth.
There is magic in every art, and when the magical becomes every day then you are an artist.
What was the question? I will anwer PM's

No worries Dude, believe it or not, you just answered.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
In technical terms, we call that 'A few tomatos short of a salad'.
Making outrageous claims and then refusing to explain but only wanting to talk via PM...
If your explanation can't stand the sunlight, then I am not going to make the effort of drawing it out of you. Cheers.

padric

White Belt
Reaction score
All righty then this guy does not want to talk about favorite blades at all.
What needs explained, Bruno?
PM was offered if this is inappropiate to this thread.
So what are the outrageous claims that you want explained in the light of day. As you seem to want to get to know me better I'll put forth the energy to open the path to getting to know me.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
This is a discussion forum. If you say things in public and people ask for clarification, then the polite thing to do is to post that as well, rather than ask multiple people to PM you. That kind of defeats the point of this forum. If you don't want to talk about it in public, then don't mention it in public.

As for outrageous claims:
what do you mean with patrolling with your sword?
What does naming your swords at full moon have to do with it?
What is itenerant metaphysician?

Basically, the same questions that Chris already asked.

padric

White Belt
Reaction score
Outrageous claims answered in reverse order:
Last Itenerant metaphysican a wandering seeker after truth, which was not in my post and was gleaned from my profile as you said public knowledge, but not appropiate to this thread hence the offer of a PM conversation which could go to the cafe or other more appropiate thread.
All of my carry swords, swords I use frequently, are named during a full moon ceremony: sharpened, cleaned and oiled, then named. The hanwei banshee is named Brena, raven or crow. I have had this sword for eight years and have put it through a lot. I would reccommend this sword.
To see more of this very functional sword google hanwei banshee.
My property is 100 plus acres, full of nature, it takes a good 4 hours to roam the fence line I might patrol all or part of it on anygiven day. A patrol is more then a romp but less then a sortie. Ascending levels of gear for each. Sortie is when I have a particular project that might take a couple of days to complete so a tent and additional water etc.

Chris Parker

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I must be a little bored right now, so I'm going to go through your response and see if I can point out why what you're saying is throwing up red flags for us here.

Outrageous claims answered in reverse order:
Last Itenerant metaphysican a wandering seeker after truth, which was not in my post and was gleaned from my profile as you said public knowledge, but not appropiate to this thread hence the offer of a PM conversation which could go to the cafe or other more appropiate thread.

Right. First one. You do know that this is a Martial Arts forum, not a philosophy one? Once again, what is your martial art that justifies you being a swordsman? This isn't an attack, by the way, but as your entire approach is sounding very much like someone living in a fantasy world, and trying to bring that into their physical environment.

To break it down, though, "itinerant" (that's the correct spelling there, by the way.... if you're going to insist on this as your guiding approach, you may want to spell it, and "metaphysician" correctly on your profile, and here. Especially if you're going to think it's "seeking the truth"....) refers to wanderers, yes. But it specifically refers to people who have no fixed location or dwelling, which doesn't seem to be you according to later in this post.

"Metaphysician", well, that's an interesting field. It's really a branch of philosophy, and has nothing to do with martial arts. It is divided (in the Aristotelian construct) into three primary sections, dealing with what does and does not exist (Ontology), the evidence or non-evidence of deitic influence on the actual plane of existence (Natural Theology), and the application of what are refered to as "first principles", essential underlying concepts to base logical understandings on (Universal Science). Now, you can apply a metaphysics philosophical approach to martial arts (as you can with everything), but it is far from being a martial arts approach itself.

As for your idea of "send a PM and I will answer", if I was to do that, it wouldn't stop Bruno, or Ken, or anyone reading this thinking you're a little out of phase with reality, would it? So to make your time here more enjoyable, you may wish to take a little more time thinking about how certain things are perceived by those who reading it. Remember, we aren't talking with you face to face, we don't know your environment, all we have to go on is your written word here. And it just doesn't add up that well. To put that in metaphysical terms, the Ontology of your stated "primary art and ranking" indicates no actual existance of martial arts training from all available evidence, Natural Theology has no place, and Universal Science supports the idea of no martial art again. And honestly, the same can be said for evidence of reality.

All of my carry swords, swords I use frequently, are named during a full moon ceremony: sharpened, cleaned and oiled, then named.

Er, right? So you have a ritual for this... um, why? Where did this ritual come from? Is there any basis in anything other than something you thought of yourself?

The hanwei banshee is named Brena, raven or crow. I have had this sword for eight years and have put it through a lot. I would reccommend this sword.

Put it through what? You really do have to understand that you are now talking to some rather experienced practitioners of various sword disciplines here, and while I for example have a number of items that I have had for a decade or more, all of which have seen a lot of use, that use is centred around training (kata, cutting, drawing etc). I get the idea that you are talking about something perhaps a bit different here.

To see more of this very functional sword google hanwei banshee.

Yeah, I know of the sword. Kind of a mongrel from Paul Chen, taking bits of Burmese, Chinese and Japanese design concepts. Now, I'm more of a purist, so I'm not going to be impressed by it, but I know of it.

My property is 100 plus acres, full of nature, it takes a good 4 hours to roam the fence line I might patrol all or part of it on anygiven day.

So do you use this against "nature"? What do you mean by that? Are you using it like a machette to cut through brush, or are you using it to fend off dangerous creatures? If the former, okay, the Banshee is close enough to a machette, but I'm not thinking that form of usage classifies it as a "carry sword", more a utilitarian machette with a slightly schizoid styling aspect to it.

If however you use it to fend off animals, it's really a very poor choice. Swords were never designed for such use (they and pistols are pretty much alone in that they were designed specifically for the injury and killing of other human beings, hence swords being associated with ruling classes from antiquity [the ruler, such as king, chief etc, would have power over the lives of the members of his group, so he would have a weapon symbolising that power as part of his status imagery]). Spears, bows and arrows etc are designed for hunting, knives, sickles etc are utilitarian usage items, but swords are too short for hunting animals, and too long for knife-style usage.

I'm still wondering what you are "patrolling" for, or against here, though. What type of property is it, are we talking about a ranch where you are checking on livestock and their fields? Or is it something else entirely? 100 acres is a lot of land for just a house.... I mean, we're talking about 40 sq. kilometres here (a bit over 25 miles sq. for those not yet up to metric measurements...)

A patrol is more then a romp but less then a sortie. Ascending levels of gear for each. Sortie is when I have a particular project that might take a couple of days to complete so a tent and additional water etc.

You do realise that you are essentially just using your own personal terminology to define other parts of your own personal terminology here? And these terms are used in military parlance, but from the looks of things you are not using the same definitions that they do. So it really doesn't do much for us here, does it?

Ken Morgan

Senior Master
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Actually 1 km2 is about 247acres, so the distance is not that great. What 0.4km2?

Up until a couple of months ago my parents had a 100 acre farm, with much forest, scrub and a nice river running through it. If I were to walk the perimeter of it unhindered, I could make the trip in about an hour.

Anyway….

If I were using a patrol sword on my property I would use a $10 machete, and not risk damaging any of my blades used for MA. If I had property further north, I would only be carrying a shotgun or a rifle, just in case I came upon some of nature’s larger inhabitants native to this area who didn’t want to back off.

Chris asked some very good specific questions as to what it is you do, we’re not here to mock what it is you do, we’d just like to understand it better. If you have your own little things that you do, great, so be it, have fun with it, just don’t expect a group of martial artists trained in the use of the sword to agree with you.

Bruno@MT

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wanted to add something else, in relation to 'not pigeonholing' and 'keeping an open mind'.

The people who hang out here are al passionate about their art, and take care not to be mistaken for any of the multitude of people who live in a fantasy world and practice some made up martial art. Sadly such people are much too common. Chris and I encounter some of them in the ninjutsu section where they yammer on about non their own version of ninjutsu, or the version for which no historical evidence exists and for which their own story is full of holes and chronological errors.

So if you come here and say weird things and raise doubts about whether your martial art is an actual martial art or a part of a fantasy world, then you are bound to raise some questions that need answering before anyone takes you seriously. I would also like to point out that at no point we became rude or insulted you despite not answering our questions.

billc

Grandmaster
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I used to like european style swords of all kinds. However, I have been training in DTS kali for just over a year now and have started to change my preferences. Since DTS is a sword based Fillipino fighting art there is a preference for the fillipino blade called the ginunting. It is more interesting than I thought it would be when I started. look it up if you are interested in a non-european, Japanese or chinese blade.

Christian Soldier

Orange Belt
Reaction score
I'm a kukri fan. Though a katana is definitely a very close second. Overall it depends on how I'll be using the sword.

Neddog

White Belt
Reaction score
The Katana is my favorite, and that is because of the system and the art built around its use. I love the style of drawing with the back of the blade down on the saya for a quick draw and cut in one maneuver. I love the controlled, nimble swinging style of using a moderate-sized blade two-handed with a substantially long handle, keeping the blade closer to the body without losing swing power by using the leveraged hand position. I also love the differentially hardened forging method as well.

In my younger years however, I was much more a fan of European medieval swords, especially the double-edged one-handed types. After using the katana though, I now feel that I have much better control over my swing and my return with that style of handling over the momentum of a one-handed swing.

Well, that's the way one's styles and tastes can change over the years. There are also other weapons I've grown into, such as the one-handed axe... which can be a truly indispensable tool in the woods.