• other... please elaborate below

Results are only viewable after voting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I prefer those blades that I can carry on me on the street.
Blades up to 12 inchs or so fixed or closed
My balisongs are blade length of 4,6, 9, and 23 inches
the last one can not be carried with any stealth or ease
I carry a 10 1/2 inch fixed blade much of the time

for swords I prefer the katana and the broad swords
the katana looks great and is displayable the broad sword just feels right

L

liangzhicheng

Chinese straight sword, or Jian. I voted other, because there are a lot of oriental blades, and a katana is not representative of them.

Blindside

Grandmaster
Founding Member
Reaction score
You mean I have to choose?

Arggh, well, I voted "other" because I like the European Longsword, either Type XII or Type XVIII, but I do like single handed sabers as well, though I don't own a dao yet. I'm just not sure I could choose between all my sharp and pointy toys....

My current colection:

Attachments

• $sword collection2shrunk.jpg
    $sword collection2shrunk.jpg
    49.9 KB · Views: 800
B

Blackdragon

I prefer chinese broadswords. I love the way they look and feel. Now all I need to do is find an instructor :p

Randy Strausbaugh

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The jian. If I could only do one form, that would be it. Can't say why, there's just a "feel" to it.

K

Kempo Guy

I voted "katana", although I think it would be more appropriate to say "nihonto".

T

ThuNder_FoOt

I voted for the Katana. Ever since my first use of it in My Iaido class, it just felt so perfect for me. Its just the perfect blend of offense and defense (for me atleast).

:asian:

THuNdeR_FoOT
.:FOOT CLAN:.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I vote for a oriental sword because they often were made better. In particular i vote for the katana because I like the feel of them.

kroh

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I voted for the short sword. Anything about the size of a machete with a little variance up or down. Anything that size allows for good reach and distancing while still being able to be carried and used indoors comfortably. Machete, bolo (basically another type of machete), kodachi (short sword in japanese), or big combat knife.

AHHH....now If i could only find a way to keep my cat from giving tamishigiri demo's on my couch...

:D WalT

D

DanRyunAndrew

As I've just started studying in MA under Guro Dulin (aka Dearnis.com), and with a minimum of formal training in edged weapons (mostly as MOS 11B), I have found blade training especially interesting.

Over the years, my martial arts training has allowed me to handle all types of blades. I have found that there is something unique about each blade. Anyone who handles, or trains in, blades will tell you, that each blade has it's own unique energy. When you hold a blade that is of a design that works best with your body (and it's unique design), and when the blades energy can be felt strongly...as other posters have stated, "It just feels right"!

Kroh and I think much alike (as far as blades ;)). A well made Combat Knife (Tanto, Kabar,etc,) or a quality Short Sword (Japanese Kodachi or Roman Gladius), is what "feels right" for me.

Remember, the Roman Gladius conquered Country after Country to acheive what was the Roman Empire!

Respectfully :asian:,

Andy

Charles Mahan

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Interestingly, "what feels right" with a katana for newer practioners, usually isn't. The problem is a simple ignorance of "what feels right" and "what feels wrong". I imagine this is true for other formalized weapons systems as well.

D

Dragongup

Well, my favorite sword would have to be the katana, though training in Gumdo, it is known as a Ching Gum. I'd like to learn just about all the other types too, though. :D

S

ShaolinWolf

I voted Katana(or other oriental blade) because although I like the katana, I have to say the Jian or the Chinese Broadsword is great...Now If I could just find someone to teach me how to use the broadsword or jian. I'm going to learn the Katana soon, although I've done some self practice with it. I also have a Balisong Knife, which I LOVE!

I wish we could have multiple choice here...I might say Epee, Foil, or Rapier. Just a question...why put the Epee, Foil and Rapier as separate choices? I mean, although they are very different in distinguishing a style of fencing, they are basically the same as far as saying the Katana or any other oriental blade...Just a thought...Unless your partial to those blades, then no questions asked...

Latest Discussions