Favorite BJJ books.

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Just finished reading The Path to the Black Belt by Ridrigo Gracie.
I'm very impressed with the thoroughness of the book. I'll be going back to this great reference over and over again. I think it's probably the most complete book on BJJ I've read so far.
Does anyone have other suggestions on BJJ books that are really good?

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Brazilian Jiujitsu Theory and Technique is really good by Renzo and Royler Gracie. Recently I picked up Royce Gracie's latest book titled: Ultimate Fighting Techniques vol. 2 and it is good as well.

OP
SensibleManiac

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice Brian, those are 2 books I'll definetely be reading soon.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Helio Gracie's Master Text is pretty sweet as well! I just noticed that
Royler and Helio did a book and when I was last at Barnes and Noble it looked pretty good.

BJ Penn's Mixed Martial Arts The Book Of Knowledge is definately a must have!

OP
SensibleManiac

SensibleManiac

Black Belt
Reaction score
I've seen some clips from Marcelo Garcia's series and they are just awesome. His and Demian Maia's series, The Science of Jiujitsu, are both incredible.

Timing in the Fighting Arts: Your Guide to Winning in the Ring and Surviving on the Street

I can highly recommend everyone into MMA and Jiujitsu to pick up this book as it will take your training to a higher level.

slideyfoot

White Belt
Reaction score
Main one I'd suggest if you're a beginner is Mastering Jujitsu by John Danaher and Renzo Gracie. I've been careful with purchasing any supplemental material for my BJJ training, because I'm conscious of not wanting to get ahead of myself. So a few months into BJJ, Mastering Jujitsu was perfect for me - it doesn't cram a load of techniques down your throat, because it isn't really an instructional book intended to take you through a bunch of moves step by step (though there are a few basic techniques towards the end).

Instead, I think it works well as an introduction to the sport, doing a good job of explaining the main principles and history. Its always cool to learn more about something you enjoy - I listen to podcasts (especially the Fightworks Podcast) for the same reason. I find that personalising a sport through the acquisition of background knowledge acts as great motivation, which is exactly the function Mastering Jujitsu has served for me.

In terms of full-on instructional books, then Ed Beneville has produced three excellent volumes: Passing the Guard, The Guard and Strategic Guard. That has plenty of material suitable for beginners, such as the stuff on shrimping at the start of The Guard, as well as more advanced stuff. The best feature of Beneville's work is that its very well laid out, with multiple angles and logical progressions. Interview with him here.

You may often hear Eddie Bravo's Mastering the Rubber Guard suggested as an instructional book, and like Beneville's work it is also well laid out, but personally I'll be leaving most of it until much later in my training (I started Nov 06). Instead, I want to get the basics down first. Bravo does have a few more fundamental techniques in there, like shrimping to escape mount, but it only makes up a small part of the book.

Also, with books and DVD, you need to keep in mind a proviso: they're supposed to supplement training, not form its basis. Especially for beginners, its essential to have an instructor present.

Unlike a DVD/book/video, an instructor can correct your mistakes (which otherwise you'll continue making and thereby entrain bad habits) and modify their advice depending on your particular situation: bodytype, experience, strength etc. Not to mention you could potentially injure yourself and/or others if there isn't an experienced eye supervising.

So, your instructor should always be your first port of call if you've got a question: after all, that's what you're paying them for. Always better to get hands-on advice rather than a book/DVD.

chinto01

Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been reading the book Passing the Guard by Ed Beneville and have found it very informative and helpful.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Freestyler777

Blue Belt
Reaction score
I don't know if this helps, but Judo Techniques and Tactics by Jimmy Pedro has a lot of basic ne-waza techniques with clear pictures that translates well to BJJ. Also, Best Judo has a lot of ne-waza pictures and techniques that are essential for guys in the beginning stage of BJJ.

Gentle Fist

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I have been reading the book Passing the Guard by Ed Beneville and have found it very informative and helpful.

In the spirit of bushido!

Rob

Very good book. Better than any of the Gracie books. (Gracie books are way to basic)