Falun Gong Health Effect Survey

JadecloudAlchemist

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Here:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/cult

a group or sect bound together by veneration of the same thing, person, ideal, etc.
This fits the best defination of what a cult is.

You can see every major religion starts off as a cult.

As for Buddhism there does exist cults both by the defination above and this one:
a religion or sect considered to be false, unorthodox, or extremist, with members often living outside of conventional society under the direction of a charismatic leader.
The Soka Gakkai international is seen as a cult by the Japanese.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
{Moderator Hat on}

It might be time to realise a losing wicket when you see one, Dao.

Expressing beliefs you hold is perfectly fine and is indeed something that is encouraged, within the limits of commonly accepted decency.

When those beliefs begin to prove divisive and promote discord, however, it is better to lower the shutters and accept that MartialTalk is not a forum for religious proselytisation; in much the same way as it is not a place where 'Fraud Busting' is permitted.

As an aside, " a la" means "in the manner of", "similar to" et al.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ladies & Gentlemen,

I note that, since the first page, the only topic of discussion has been what amounts to arguing over whether or not Falun Gong/Falun Dafa or whatever other names are used is or is not a cult. I have yet to see more than a smattering of posts on the original topic. Consider this a warning. Play nice together, and return to the topic, lest the thread be locked and sanctions taken as appropriate.

-jks9199

OP
Dao

Dao

Green Belt
Reaction score
{Moderator Hat on}

It might be time to realise a losing wicket when you see one, Dao.

Expressing beliefs you hold is perfectly fine and is indeed something that is encouraged, within the limits of commonly accepted decency.

When those beliefs begin to prove divisive and promote discord, however, it is better to lower the shutters and accept that MartialTalk is not a forum for religious proselytisation; in much the same way as it is not a place where 'Fraud Busting' is permitted.

As an aside, " a la" means "in the manner of", "similar to" et al.

First of all it's not a religion and I never stated as such, my orginal post is just a survey. Others have turned into a religious debate not me. I am not fraud busting I am merely defending my practice. I am sorry if I caused any harm.

Sukerkin

Have the courage to speak softly
MT Mentor
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I fear you misunderstood my point, Dao.

The manner of posting witnessed so far is indeed in line with what might be expected of a 'proselytiser'. This is a form of 'brow beating' not generally welcome in an on-line community and is actively discouraged.

The note about 'Fraud Busting' was not aimed at yourself but rather in favour of your right to have your opinions and express them within reason - this is not to be interpreted as a carte blanche to foist those opinions on those who do not wish to hear them by the way :lol:.

You've expressed them, they have not been well received and that should be that.

Latest Discussions