Fake bjj black belt exposed

Kickboxer101

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I saw this video online of some guys exposing what they think is a fake McDojo black belt in bjj. I mean I know basically nothing so I can't comment but what do the bjj guys here think of it. I do find it interesting because I have seen a few times people say it's impossible to have a McDojo for bjj but well it seems there can be from this.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
My 2 things, too:

1) You can get better 'Muay Thai' from Youtube (since you don't choose that guy... actually forget Youtube. Everyone is already better by nature).
2) Being a martial arts police IS possible and quite fun. (The thing is in BJJ there are standards. For the most of other MA the standards are as volatile as smoke...)

A bit more serious, this may not be fun, but it is necessary. He was abusing of the IBJJF name and abusing of the BJJ black belt status.

PS: The 4 Fake Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belts Exposed In The Year 2015,

Charlemagne

Black Belt
Reaction score
The nice thing about BJJ is that because sparring is an essential part of the training, and one that gets such high priority, it is very hard, if not impossible, to hide your lack of skills to anyone who has a legit background.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
My 2 things, too:

1) You can get better 'Muay Thai' from Youtube (since you don't choose that guy... actually forget Youtube. Everyone is already better by nature).
2) Being a martial arts police IS possible and quite fun. (The thing is in BJJ there are standards. For the most of other MA the standards are as volatile as smoke...)

A bit more serious, this may not be fun, but it is necessary. He was abusing of the IBJJF name and abusing of the BJJ black belt status.

PS: The 4 Fake Brazilian Jiu Jitsu Black Belts Exposed In The Year 2015,

He made that clown damn near get on his hands and knees and apologize and refused to give him back his (fake) belt. Told him to GTFO out of his gym and go home and be a family man.

Thats why I love Bjj.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Like any martial arts, the way to know is trail by fire, if the person performs horribly on a consistent basis then they are a fake. Martial arts of all kinds are simple to fake to an extent, this is why federations can be a good thing. Odds are if someone is a licensed black belt in something like WKF or IJF ect ect you aren't likely to be taken for a ride.

Hanzou

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I find it interesting how many people are shocked by that video. They're surprised that a guy who has spent a good chunk of his life practicing and learning a martial art would be pissed that some poser would just slap a belt around his waist and pretend to be just as experienced.

Honestly the poser got off easy. I've heard plenty of stories of fakers getting their face caved in, or worse.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find it interesting how many people are shocked by that video. They're surprised that a guy who has spent a good chunk of his life practicing and learning a martial art would be pissed that some poser would just slap a belt around his waist and pretend to be just as experienced.

Honestly the poser got off easy. I've heard plenty of stories of fakers getting their face caved in, or worse.

Who is complaining? I am guessing the comment section on the video because nobody here is.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I saw this video online of some guys exposing what they think is a fake McDojo black belt in bjj. I mean I know basically nothing so I can't comment but what do the bjj guys here think of it. I do find it interesting because I have seen a few times people say it's impossible to have a McDojo for bjj but well it seems there can be from this.

If it was an actual Brazilian then there would have been no cameras and it wouldn't have been rolling.

kuniggety

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would think, in this day and age, how they could get away with being a fake BJJ black belt. Especially with a real school in the same town/city!

I've run into a few people who just say they've "trained" and then as soon as I bring up rolling with them then the story turns into "oh it's been a few years" or "it was just a few things".

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I don't know why anyone would think, in this day and age, how they could get away with being a fake BJJ black belt. Especially with a real school in the same town/city!

I've run into a few people who just say they've "trained" and then as soon as I bring up rolling with them then the story turns into "oh it's been a few years" or "it was just a few things".

This is why I prefer to tell the truth XD.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
There are plenty of BJJ mcdojos. Just not all that many BJJ frauds. Different things.

I'm surprised there are BJJ McDojos. Shocked, actually. I mean, Wha???

I need to get out more.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Who is complaining? I am guessing the comment section on the video because nobody here is.

Probably because 'fraud busting' isn't allowed on here and this is close to being just that.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I was partying in Montreal one night back in college (actually, we went there quite a few times). We were walking/staggering out of a bar after it closed and two guys were having words. One guy says (and he was being serious) "Don't mess with me. I'm a Navy SEAL. I train to kill people with my bare hands." The only guy looked at him and threw one of the most pathetic punches I've ever seen an adult throw, landing on his chin. The "Navy SEAL" dropped like a ton of bricks. Everyone burst out laughing. One of my friends yells out "He's a Navy SEAL, and I'm Mike Tyson."

I honestly don't think he'd have gotten hit if he didn't use his Navy SEAL line. And it wasn't a sucker punch that would've caught and dropped anybody by any stretch of the imagination.

Ademadis

Green Belt
Reaction score
I honestly don't think he'd have gotten hit if he didn't use his Navy SEAL line. And it wasn't a sucker punch that would've caught and dropped anybody by any stretch of the imagination.

Was their perhaps a fair lady at the back the jocks were trying to impress? I've seen similar ilk and honestly it's just stupid.

Personally regardless of belt outside the dojo I wouldn't tell anyone. My dojo itself has a rule written in stone that you're not supposed to wear your gi outside of training etc. as it just invites conflict.

If you're bragging about your experience you've missed the point of training imo.

msmitht

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
There are plenty of BJJ mcdojos. Just not all that many BJJ frauds. Different things.
And what makes a BJJ school a McDojo? In san diego there are many BJJ schools and I have only seen 2 bad ones. One closed and the other is unfortunately doing well due to a good marketing guy.
Frauds are easy to spot. No senior students above blue. No one rolls. Everyone is frustrated as to why technique doesn't work. They get angry and out of breath. They use only strength.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Everyone is frustrated as to why technique doesn't work. They get angry and out of breath. They use only strength.
Waw! Exactly what I saw in a 'judo trying to be jujitsu' school. Only one of the brown belts was better than that. But at least these ones rolled. Instructor was 7 Dan. In the heart of Paris...

Latest Discussions