Senior Master
Reaction score
No. I’m taking bets on MA student v. Dux

Dux. -145
MA student +160

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
I can't believe I read this entire thread.

<wanders off to get more popcorn>

We need a popcorn-eating smiley
giphy-tumblr.gif

I like the gifs

Last edited:

Martial D

Senior Master
Reaction score
No. I’m taking bets on MA student v. Dux

Dux. -145
MA student +160
So, a young guy that actually trains in combative martial arts vs an old man that doesn't.

How you got the latter as favourite?

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score
So, a young guy that actually trains in combative martial arts vs an old man that doesn't.

How you got the latter as favourite?

Well....What do we actually know about MA Student.......

For the most part we have:

v.
MV5BMTgxODEzNTkwMV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNzAzNzI4MDI@._V1_UY317_CR5,0,214,317_AL_.jpg

I thought the odds were pretty fair.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Of course it's a joke and of course I don't plan to fight anyone on here and if @Frank Dux sees this then I meant no offence or disrespect and of course don't want to fight anyone it was a comment made in jest when I just woke up and if there's any offence taken i apologise

Nope you are locked in.

(bloodsport would have been too obvious.)

OP
Frank Dux

Frank Dux

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Of course it's a joke and of course I don't plan to fight anyone on here and if @Frank Dux sees this then I meant no offence or disrespect and of course don't want to fight anyone it was a comment made in jest when I just woke up and if there's any offence taken i apologise

No offense taken now... and here I thought the challenge would also have "a purse"... Bob Wall challenged me for $4million according to Martial Art Sport Museum curator Gary Lee. I considered until I found out I could be charged with senior abuse. Skillful trap avoided.

OP
Frank Dux

Frank Dux

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
FACT vs. FICTION
There’s absolutely no ignorance in my asking how you could have 56 consecutive KOs in a single tournament. Citing Oyama’s 100 man kumite is showing ignorance on your part. Allow me to elaborate...

The 100 man kumite is NOT a tournament. It is a single karateka fighting 100 consecutive opponents. The only way to advance in the 100 man kumite is to beat or draw each opponent. It is not a tournament, as there’s no winners nor losers. The person either completes it or it stops.

A tournament is where multiple competitors face off. The last one standing WINS. Any one of the competitors can win. If the person attempting the 100 man kumite doesn’t win or tie against an opponent, it is over. No one else keeps going.

Oyama faced 100 karateka each day for 3 consecutive days. No one else was trying this at the same time. If he lost a round, someone wouldn’t have stood in and finished where he left off and been declared the winner.

Being a former Kyokushin offshoot student, I know exactly what the 100 man kumite is and is not. I myself had to complete a 25 man kumite for my shodan promotion. Claiming I had 25 consecutive KOs in a tournament because I completed the 25 man kumite would be absurd. Why? Because IT’S NOT A TOURNAMENT.*

*I used bold there because I can’t italicize.

If you’re saying you did a 56 man kumite, as in Kyokushin’s 100 man kumite (or however many), I wouldn’t have a question. Saying 56 consecutive KOs in a single tournament is quite different. That means there had to be 56 rounds in a single elimination tournament, ending with 2 fighters in the finals who’ve beaten everyone they faced. Someone somewhere did the math behind a 56 round single elimination tournament. The number of competitors needed for a tournament that large was in the millions. The only way to have less people in a tournament where the winner would have to compete 56 times in a single tournament is a round robin tournament. But the numbers would still be astronomical.

I was genuinely asking how you could have 56 KOs in a single tournament in a respectful way. Can you please explain it respectfully? A tournament and a 100 man or even more kumite are completely different things. No one attacked Oyama’s claim because his claim makes sense. Anyone who knows how the 100 man kumite actually works knows it’s possible. Anyone who knows how a tournament works knows 56 rounds in a tournament is logistically near impossible.

I’m just respectfully asking how the tournament you claim was set up because I don’t know. I know how 100 +/- man kumites are set up.

First off you cant arbitrarily declare a 100 man Kumite is not a tournament when a tournament is defined as a contest between multiple competitors.

Your framework of understanding is seemingly based upon an erroneous assumption. Yes, while some Karateka who view a 100 man Kumite as a test of endurance it nonetheless can be and is under Society of Black Dragon utilized in the Asian cultural traditional manner. Multiple people are in competition with each other in attempting the same feat (i.e. fighting and defeating 100 or 60 combatants).

Each competitor is measuring their performance vs the next person facing the same challenge. The 56 man knockouts argument you propose is done according to western cultural tournament interpretation which is rules of single elimination. This round-robin jousting format is not true in the case for all Kumites.

Each fighter has 60 opponents to fight. Scores are tallied by wins vs defeats by which to determine the final winner. Some participants cannot complete the sixty fight requirement and thus are eliminated. Some fight the sixty bouts but lose more matches compared to another competitor doing likewise. These tournaments can be held and conclude over a period of one day or up to 18 months. I hope this dispels the assumptions and faulty conclusion.

Last edited:
OP
Frank Dux

Frank Dux

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
The blonde mamba… that your boy CB Jones?

Latest Discussions