FACT VS FICTION

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
No Im here not hiding like some coward behind an avatar using an alias. I make myself accountable by doing so whereas you skirt the issue and perhaps all that betrays your level of understanding with regards to this topic and others so that may role play you speak with an authoritarian voice when you should be asking questions or sharing what you believe to be true. Its shameful you feel inclined to remain a nobody as everyone has real value and everyone's voice, thoughts and good deeds has value for others who honor the truth.
Ironically, the most "authoritarian voice" in this thread - by an order of magnitude - is yours.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
THere exist feel good schools of martial arts that teach you can control someone using will power and chi -- e.g. no touch knockouts. They also profess a philosophy of you can end a fight with just a warm hug and a smile… I kid you not. This is what these schools teach.
I've met people who believed the former. I've never once met a person - inside or outside the martial arts - who believed the latter.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
FACT vs FICTION: ANOTHER TOPIC OF DISCUSSION

FICTION: Fights Only End When One Combatant Kills the Other

This myth I have found is most commonly spread by a certain breed of macho martial artist. You know, the kind that is obsessed with showing off how “deadly” he is. Every technique is either deadly or maiming, and “nothing else works in the street.” Anything that isn’t heavily destructive to the opponent is “useless” and “not worth your time to learn.” They would have you believe that the only way to end a fight is to brutally maim your opponent, kill him painfully, and disfigure the corpse.

FACT: We must determine the threat level and correspond accordingly. My belief it is the spirit of the opponent that must be defeated and that is when the fight ends; when the aggressor no longer has the will to continue to fight.

Killing your opponent efficiently and quickly is the goal of martial arts, how ere, as the training is meant to prepare a person for military lethal engagements. Maiming and dismembering in a civilian setting works just as well. But quite often it’s more than possible to neutralize a threat with non lethal means if you train regularly and for that outcome. This is where MMA training has an advantage over perfecting those kill or be killed traditional or modern combative techniques.

Most self defense situations do not have to escalate in fights to the death.

Far more likely you find yourself at a bar trying to control a drunk friend who’s gotten a bit wild or fending off someone pissed at the world who’s had a bit too much to drink and wants to start something.

End that confrontation by maiming or killing that poor SOB and be prepared for the high cost of defense lawyer and time at the county jail.

Ending a fight without killing or maiming your opponent is certainly much harder. It definitely takes more training and more skill to do so successfully and without putting yourself in undue danger. But possible, and for serious students in the modern age it’s definitely worth striving for versus investing time in perfecting obsolete alleged killing techniques.
Another fiction I've never heard put forth. If it's not real, does that make it a fictional fiction?

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My my aren't we being condescending. This is a discussion where you can affirm you agree the given FICTION statement is a martial art myth or defend it and say there is indeed something behind it that is not perceptible by me. Because you have not encountered someone teaching this myth does not mean I or others have not. It seems based on my arguments others are in agreement. Since no one has challenged my opinions and observations. Instead, you attempt to challenge me personally.
You've left out the other possibility: that it's not a martial art claim, at all.

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Another fiction I've never heard put forth. If it's not real, does that make it a fictional fiction?
Nope. Double negative, therefore fictional fiction would have to be fact. Like when my students like to say “I’m not doing no homework this weekend.”

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Hello grandmaster I hereby challenge you to a death match in the Kunmite bare fist let us see who the true champion is....lol

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Nope. Double negative, therefore fictional fiction would have to be fact. Like when my students like to say “I’m not doing no homework this weekend.”

I disagree. Going by the definitions, if something is fictional it means it has been created and only exists in the mind (i.e. it is not real), so in order to fictionalise a piece of fiction you are literally taking a piece of fiction and making more fiction out of the previous fiction. By doing so you could move either back towards reality or even further from it.

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
I disagree. Going by the definitions, if something is fictional it means it has been created and only exists in the mind (i.e. it is not real), so in order to fictionalise a piece of fiction you are literally taking a piece of fiction and making more fiction out of the previous fiction. By doing so you could move either back towards reality or even further from it.

You have spent way to much time thinking about this....haven't you :D

CB Jones

Senior Master
Reaction score

Pretty sure that's how you enter.......The Twilight Zone......bum, bum, bummmmmmmm

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hello grandmaster I hereby challenge you to a death match in the Kunmite bare fist let us see who the true champion is....lol
Recognizing this is a joke -- let's not forget that challenge posts are forbidden by The Rules here at MartialTalk.

Saheim

Green Belt
Reaction score

Exactly! Like adding to negative numbers does not give you a positive total.

MA_Student

Black Belt
Reaction score
Recognizing this is a joke -- let's not forget that challenge posts are forbidden by The Rules here at MartialTalk.
Of course it's a joke and of course I don't plan to fight anyone on here and if @Frank Dux sees this then I meant no offence or disrespect and of course don't want to fight anyone it was a comment made in jest when I just woke up and if there's any offence taken i apologise

_Simon_

Senior Master
Reaction score
Of course it's a joke and of course I don't plan to fight anyone on here and if @Frank Dux sees this then I meant no offence or disrespect and of course don't want to fight anyone it was a comment made in jest when I just woke up and if there's any offence taken i apologise
Ahh.. I'd already sold tickets to it...

XD

Latest Discussions