Facebook Martial Artists

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Brother IronBear, it would help you in your goal, which is to teach, by studying the logic game. And the subtleties of technique. When you teach, most of the people that will come to you will not have your strength nor your will. But you have to help them as much as you help a strong young man like yourself. Not because it's just good business, but because it's right and you're going to want to help them.

I'll bet you can do it, too.

Oh I love it! My personal space is tiny so I don't mind people getting close at all, it's also easier for me to defend myself if people come close, drunks always do lol.

The problem is that fighters don't always see what spectators or even their corners see, they also get caught up in the moment and miss opportunities. Fighters while they have tactics etc also are adrenaline fuelled at this point, the inexperienced ones often lose their focus and react rather than think. It's very easy to criticise as a spectator lol, much harder to actually do. You are watching the video in the cold light of day, the fighters are in the cage in the moment.

Thanks buka, I'll keep that in mind. And yeah Tez, I realize that know, its like the old saying goes. Hind sight is 20/20.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
And yeah Tez, I realize that know, its like the old saying goes. Hind sight is 20/20.

It can be very frustrating when your fighter isn't listening to you and you are shouting 'KNEES!!!' and you can see the opening but to all intents and purposes he's ignoring you! On the other hand it's also very funny when the fighters are really tied up in knots on the ground and some 'expert' in the crowd is shouting 'stand up!' at 'their' fighter. We could do a whole thread on things shouted from the crowd lol. 'Bite 'is bum' is another joyful shout I've heard.
It's not just on FB etc that you have so called experts they also come to fights and start giving advice as well as telling their mates 'what I would've done is.......'

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Seems like there are an awful lot of people on Facebook who post all the martial arts memes and inspirational fortune cookies, who link to all the videos of UFC fights and back-alley brawls and World Star Hip Hop beat downs, but they don't seem to actually train.

Some of them did train, and much respect to them, but they no longer train.

Some did a little training when they were younger, never got above a certain rank, but now feel age has given them the mastery that training did not.

And some apparently never trained. Got plenty of advice for martial artists, though.
Lol, some people on here seem to also only post YouTubes to back things up rather than quote from personal expertise and experience.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I found an example of what I was talking about. This often is down to me and it just annoys me, this is what I mean by opportune moment for the elbows and knees. Thank you jowga wolf for finding it. I normally elbow and knee them in this position or attempt a tachi waza.

From a guy who was so dominant in the fight he quit.
If you are better than a guy you can do whatever you want.

We call this the Anderson Silva rule.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
The back of the neck is easily available there, the second one there is no chance because he is already off his root. He should have sprawled when he had the chance.
The problem with elbow strikes to the back of the neck is that most people don't understand how it works. There is an assumption that the back of the neck is highly exposed and that's not true in all cases. The higher you stand in your fighting stance the less available the back of the neck will be.

Stuff like this isn't going to be possible in a high stance.

The "flight pattern" of a take down from a shoot is to go under you and then go vertical. By going vertical the neck is no longer exposed and it's a stronger lift. Staying horizontal to life is asking for back injuries.

Can you elbow someone in the back of the neck? Yes, but only if the attacker stays horizontal for too long and only if the defender isn't in a horizontal stance.
The there is an assumption that all a person has to do is elbow someone in the back of the neck. In reality, you have to stall the take down before you can throw any elbows.

Now with that said here's the best way that you can deliver an elbow to the back of the neck. Personally I would recommend trying to elbow the spine in the back since it's a much easier target than the neck and it doesn't move in awkward positions. The other benefit is that you don't have to worry about your elbow missing it's target. Even if you miss the spine you will still hit the back.

The first step to making this happen is that you have to lower your stance. This causes the attacker to shoot or grab lower than they should. This makes their grab-lift weak and creates a good striking service with the back being at a horizontal level or at a down ward angle of 25 - 45 degrees. The only way to make your opponent to shoot lower is to lower your stance.

Here's an example. Compare Master Wongs stance to the guy at the top. Then feel free to contact Master Wong to let him know to ease off the coffee.

The lower your stance is the more difficult it'll be for someone to pick you up or knock you over. The more you are able to get under someone the easier it will be to lift them up because you'll be able to use your legs to help with the lift.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
It can be very frustrating when your fighter isn't listening to you and you are shouting 'KNEES!!!' and you can see the opening but to all intents and purposes he's ignoring you! On the other hand it's also very funny when the fighters are really tied up in knots on the ground and some 'expert' in the crowd is shouting 'stand up!' at 'their' fighter. We could do a whole thread on things shouted from the crowd lol. 'Bite 'is bum' is another joyful shout I've heard.
It's not just on FB etc that you have so called experts they also come to fights and start giving advice as well as telling their mates 'what I would've done is.......'

You always hear your corner men. Pretty much the same way you hear birds chirping when you're a half second away from a car crash.
It's frustrating when you're a corner man. As a fighter, it's like listening to your parents advice when you're fifteen.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
I often hated when they shouted to me in my teenage years from the sidelines. It would distract me, to this day I get distracted and tend to lose focus on my opponents eyes when there is tons of shouting and noise going on.

I often would have a whole "report" from my sifu and peers when I got back from my bout and would hear "you should have done this" ect. It is very good to know for future references but at that moment it's like well its already over sooo, yeah. It's really my fault for being a knucklehead and not obeying said advice though, but sometimes it was hard to make out who's voice was who's.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
Lol so we are on a thread that pokes fun at Facebook and YouTubers and STILL someone has to post it to try and back up their premise. :nurse::nurse::nurse:

Andrew Green

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Stuff like this isn't going to be possible in a high stance.

What I find most interesting about nonsense like this that tries so hard to avoid proper wrestling responses is that if someone shot like that and you sprawled hard you'd probably have a better chance of KOing them from how hard his face would hit the floor then you would from those elbows :D

Honestly it's like they are trying to teach people to hit fastballs using a t-ball stand... If you make the attack sloppy enough anything will work. Find someone that actually can shoot a decent double and it's all going to fall apart fast.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You always hear your corner men. Pretty much the same way you hear birds chirping when you're a half second away from a car crash.
It's frustrating when you're a corner man. As a fighter, it's like listening to your parents advice when you're fifteen.
I can debate this. I never kickboxed, due to personal issues, however I fenced often. I never heard my second, or fellow fencers, no matter what they screamed at me. I would ignore my parent's advice, but value theirs, i just wouldn't hear it. When the break came, I would focus on their advice, but unless they told me during the break, I wouldn't know that they were shouting anything, I was so focused on my opponent.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
What I find most interesting about nonsense like this that tries so hard to avoid proper wrestling responses is that if someone shot like that and you sprawled hard you'd probably have a better chance of KOing them from how hard his face would hit the floor then you would from those elbows :D

Honestly it's like they are trying to teach people to hit fastballs using a t-ball stand... If you make the attack sloppy enough anything will work. Find someone that actually can shoot a decent double and it's all going to fall apart fast.

Or ironically you can do it if you are so good at wrestling that you can safley pick that shot and strike rather than having to defend it.

MAfreak

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Seems like there are an awful lot of people on Facebook who post all the martial arts memes and inspirational fortune cookies, who link to all the videos of UFC fights and back-alley brawls and World Star Hip Hop beat downs, but they don't seem to actually train.

Some did a little training when they were younger, never got above a certain rank, but now feel age has given them the mastery that training did not.

And some apparently never trained. Got plenty of advice for martial artists, though.

how do you know if they train? und why do you care? maybe they're just fans like the fat people watching football at tv without ever leaving their living room except for buying more beer and chips. no one gives a f on them either.

Hyoho

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
how do you know if they train? und why do you care? maybe they're just fans like the fat people watching football at tv without ever leaving their living room except for buying more beer and chips. no one gives a f on them either.
Not too difficult to see what they are about from the background. A few moves in the kitchen, chopping up water bottles in the backyard etc. My favorite is seeing people holding swords ankle deep in the sea.

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Not too difficult to see what they are about from the background. A few moves in the kitchen, chopping up water bottles in the backyard etc. My favorite is seeing people holding swords ankle deep in the sea.

Release the Kraken?

donald1

Senior Master
Reaction score
Oh I love it! My personal space is tiny so I don't mind people getting close at all, it's also easier for me to defend myself if people come close, drunks always do lol.

they might not seem intimidating but drunks are pretty dangerous. Not to be taken lightly. You never know when you run into some drunken master. (Master ken cant even hold a candlelight to these people)

Dirty Dog

MT Senior Moderator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
they might not seem intimidating but drunks are pretty dangerous. Not to be taken lightly. You never know when you run into some drunken master. (Master ken cant even hold a candlelight to these people)

In the ER, the phenomenon of Beer Muscles is well documented...

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score

I'm on FB and I still train.

pgsmith

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I'm on FB and I still train.
Ah, so you're the one who posts "all the martial arts memes and inspirational fortune cookies, who link to all the videos of UFC fights and back-alley brawls and World Star Hip Hop beat downs."
Wondered who that was! :)

lklawson

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Ah, so you're the one who posts "all the martial arts memes and inspirational fortune cookies, who link to all the videos of UFC fights and back-alley brawls and World Star Hip Hop beat downs."
Wondered who that was! :)
My secret is out. :)

Peace favor your sword,
Kirk

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Most of my working life in my second career was dealing with drunks (males and females), from the aggressive to the sleepy and everything in between.

Latest Discussions