Facebook Martial Artists

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You see, I was just explaining to some Kickboxer on youtube, that the reason kenpo doesn't work in the ring, is because the rules of the ring are set up, so you can't use kenpo, and now this? It just got truer. LOL

Not really, you are saying that in the whole of Kenpo there are no techniques that work in 'the ring' which I'm betting is not true. MMA is made up of techniques from many styles, it is not the styles themselves. Kenpo will have techniques that meld quite nicely with the techniques taken from all the other styles used. Each fighter has their own arsenal of techniques.
People should stop seeing MMA as being style specific and start seeing it was it really is, no one style works in MMA but cherry pick the techniques from the many styles available to make them into what works for you and you have awesome MMA.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not really, you are saying that in the whole of Kenpo there are no techniques that work in 'the ring' which I'm betting is not true. MMA is made up of techniques from many styles, it is not the styles themselves. Kenpo will have techniques that meld quite nicely with the techniques taken from all the other styles used. Each fighter has their own arsenal of techniques.
People should stop seeing MMA as being style specific and start seeing it was it really is, no one style works in MMA but cherry pick the techniques from the many styles available to make them into what works for you and you have awesome MMA.
I see what you are saying, but a kenpoist is constantly driving down with the elbow, as just a way of returning from a strike. Slaps some gloves on him and he can't effectively use any of our offensive techs. It is just a mess. LOL

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
You see, I was just explaining to some Kickboxer on youtube, that the reason kenpo doesn't work in the ring, is because the rules of the ring are set up, so you can't use kenpo, and now this? It just got truer. LOL

Are you being sarcastic or serious? Much of kenpo can be used in kick boxing, depending on the rules of course but much of kenpo is about punch and kick combinations.

Some kickboxing does not allow for elbows and knees but then that's not a huge deal, kenpo still has kicks and punches. I know what I said about the UFC rules favoring grappling might sound ridiculous but that's my opinion based on what I see, and how I see the judges award points more for the grappler for simply just controlling the other guys body.

I am not going to say kenpo or striking always loses though, in fact many strikers perform well there. Kenpo was the main style of Chuck lidel as well who did pheonomonol there.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Are you being sarcastic or serious? Much of kenpo can be used in kick boxing, depending on the rules of course but much of kenpo is about punch and kick combinations.

Some kickboxing does not allow for elbows and knees but then that's not a huge deal, kenpo still has kicks and punches. I know what I said about the UFC rules favoring grappling might sound ridiculous but that's my opinion based on what I see, and how I see the judges award points more for the grappler for simply just controlling the other guys body.

I am not going to say kenpo or striking always loses though, in fact many strikers perform well there. Kenpo was the main style of Chuck lidel as well who did pheonomonol there.
I am saying the kenposists that go into Kickboxing, become very good Kickboxers. However, the base art is different. They changed, kenpo remained the same. LOL

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I see what you are saying, but a kenpoist is constantly driving down with the elbow, as just a way of returning from a strike. Slaps some gloves on him and he can't effectively use any of our offensive techs. It is just a mess. LOL

However if a kenpoist decided to fight in an MMA comp they would have to, just like any other stylist, learn to fight in the MMA way. No martial artist goes into an MMA fight with just his/her own style. It's like a football ( soccer to you lot) player taking up rugby, there's some things that he can bring to rugby from his sport but he still has to learn a whole new game.

You can drive down the elbow in MMA just not onto the head, it's the only target you can't use.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
However if a kenpoist decided to fight in an MMA comp they would have to, just like any other stylist, learn to fight in the MMA way. No martial artist goes into an MMA fight with just his/her own style. It's like a football ( soccer to you lot) player taking up rugby, there's some things that he can bring to rugby from his sport but he still has to learn a whole new game.

You can drive down the elbow in MMA just not onto the head, it's the only target you can't use.
First of all, don't make us send some Tongans to walk all over your pint sized rugby teams, but I do see what you are saying, it is just that a key fighting strategy, in kenpo is to get that guy's head just out in front of your chest, and keep it there, for improvised rhinoplastic.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
First of all, don't make us send some Tongans to walk all over your pint sized rugby teams, but I do see what you are saying, it is just that a key fighting strategy, in kenpo is to get that guy's head just out in front of your chest, and keep it there, for improvised rhinoplastic.

Elbowing the face into a pulp is a universal kenpo thing? Aww and here I was thinking me and the other students were special lol.

Some people look better after we get to their faces ;)

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Send your Tongans and I'll raise you our Fijians... military Fijians. :mad:

I have an upwards elbow from Wado Ryu that works very nicely. :)

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
#11 is stupid. Why the hell not?

The only explanation i heard was someone saw brick breaking and decided it was too dangerous. I cant see it being more effective than any other downward strike. Which is allowed.

And even then it is thrown. They just put a little kink in the angle to make it a sideways elbow.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I know a ton of Kenpo guys. Probably more than most of you here. Haven't known them forever, just since the seventies. You know what good Kenpo guys do when they fight you? They adapt. I think it's because they like to fight and don't really care what you do. As for what the rules are, they don't seem to care much, they just want someone to say "Go".

As for Tongans. Don't let them near your black dog.

Monkey Turned Wolf

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
The only explanation i heard was someone saw brick breaking and decided it was too dangerous. I cant see it being more effective than any other downward strike. Which is allowed.

And even then it is thrown. They just put a little kink in the angle to make it a sideways elbow.
The explanation I was originally given was that it could end up cutting the face, which depending on where the blood goes could end up in the fight being stopped early.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
kempodisciple said:
The explanation I was originally given was that it could end up cutting the face, which depending on where the blood goes could end up in the fight being stopped early.

Unlike every other strike.

Luckily one FC dosent have that rule so kempo would do fine in that promotion.

And they allow soccer kicks.

Now for the ufc.
These are not 12 to 6 elbows as they come around a bit.

Seriously. They make that distinction.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the rules you put up it said punching to the kidneys are illegal, the kidneys happen to covor up a majority of the back due to the size of the kidneys and the liver is in the front of the body. If you are grappled you more than likely won't be able to strike the front of the body because there wont be enough space to strike.

This is just an example of if you are grappled many of the strikes taught in many forms of martial arts to break the grapple, are essentially innefective here because if you do them you will be hit with a foul. Since the rules cause things like this to happen it causes more of the grappling arts a safer experience, since many of the striking techniques designed to help you get out are unable to be used.

Another example here is an easy armbar escape. With your other arm grab one of their toes bend it sideways or against the joint. This is of course against the rules which forces the striker to use predominantly grappling methods to get out of the armbar, and this makes performing the armbar much safer for the grappler as that is one less thing the opponent is allowed to do to them.

Like I said I am not complaining here but when it comes to this mentality that UFC and in general MMA rules promote some sort of "ultimate contest of what art is the best." I just can't take that seriously because the rules are very against many fighting styles.

Sorry. Many of the strikes taught in many martial arts to stop a takedown are ineffective because they just don't work. Not because they are illegal. It would be illegal to spit your mouth guard during a takedown. Isnt going to save you. Illegal to have gel in your hair. Isnt going to save you.

You have to separate what is illegal in mma to what is appropriate defence. Because one does not mean the other.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sorry. Many of the strikes taught in many martial arts to stop a takedown are ineffective because they just don't work. Not because they are illegal. It would be illegal to spit your mouth guard during a takedown. Isnt going to save you. Illegal to have gel in your hair. Isnt going to save you.

You have to separate what is illegal in mma to what is appropriate defence. Because one does not mean the other.

They do work though, they will not work all of the time because of many variables but that is martial arts, nothing is guaranteed to work all of the time. The spear takedown for example is possibly the most commonly used takedown, this exposes the persons head and neck, are you telling me a downward elbow to the back of this persons neck is not going to work? There is also kneeing the face which works very well. Plus you can't tell me strikes never work because I have punched people in the diaphragm and liver before while they had me in a top mount after a takedown, they rolled off me faster then the takedown happened.

And they allow soccer kicks.

Well then I have no idea why the rules said otherwise then.

Tez3

Sr. Grandmaster
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Well then I have no idea why the rules said otherwise then.

It doesn't say that 'soccer kicks' aren't allowed. It says you can't kick a downed opponent, that doesn't necessarily mean a soccer kick.

You have to remember that MMA is a sport, it has rules because the primary object is not to kill or disable your opponent but to win the contest. MMA fighters go in with tactics, techniques and a game plan, they aren't going in angry at being attacked. They don't plan on beating their opponent to a pulp only to defeat him in a fair competition. You are talking about self defence techniques which will kill or disable, that is not what we are after in MMA so certain techniques which may arguably be dangerous are banned because why risk fighters lives and their health for a sport?
Separate in your mind the sport of MMA and self defence, they aren't the same. That doesn't mean people who do MMA can't defend themselves, they can switch their minds to doing the 'deadly' techniques easily enough but when talking about MMA we simply don't do them.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
They do work though, they will not work all of the time because of many variables but that is martial arts, nothing is guaranteed to work all of the time. The spear takedown for example is possibly the most commonly used takedown, this exposes the persons head and neck,

Where?

images

images

You are relying on the takedown to be craptastic for the downward elbow to work.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
It doesn't say that 'soccer kicks' aren't allowed. It says you can't kick a downed opponent, that doesn't necessarily mean a soccer kick.

You have to remember that MMA is a sport, it has rules because the primary object is not to kill or disable your opponent but to win the contest. MMA fighters go in with tactics, techniques and a game plan, they aren't going in angry at being attacked. They don't plan on beating their opponent to a pulp only to defeat him in a fair competition. You are talking about self defence techniques which will kill or disable, that is not what we are after in MMA so certain techniques which may arguably be dangerous are banned because why risk fighters lives and their health for a sport?
Separate in your mind the sport of MMA and self defence, they aren't the same. That doesn't mean people who do MMA can't defend themselves, they can switch their minds to doing the 'deadly' techniques easily enough but when talking about MMA we simply don't do them.

I know how to separate competition from real fighting. I competed in my teens, it wasn't anything like MMA, but it was essentially still a sport. The only thing different there was they didn't let the fight continue on the floor when a takedown was done. I plan on competing again, I want to try MMA, but I think it is all for the wrong reasons, I really don't like it, but I feel like I should do it to get recognition which will help me do what I really want to do, I want to teach martial arts.

Ironbear24

Senior Master
Reaction score
Where?

images

images

You are relying on the takedown to be craptastic for the downward elbow to work.

The back of the neck is easily available there, the second one there is no chance because he is already off his root. He should have sprawled when he had the chance.