Extending the guard on kicks

C

Cliarlaoch

Hi, folks.

Noticed a curiosity a while ago with American Kang Duk Won, the style I'm training (er... more like instructing in... nevermind, personal pet peeve) in lately.

While executing a side kick, the instructors have been teaching me and the other students to form a "cup-and-saucer" (that is, one fist palm down above the other, palm up, opposite the direction of the kick), and then to extend out one fist above the kicking leg while the other guards the solar plexus during the kick itself. I remember learning the kick while keeping my guards in place (as in both in guard position in front of my chest and face) during the kick from another style, and I'd like to ask if anyone can tell me which, if either, is more common in TKD? And for that matter, which is better?

I prefer the guards in place, myself. Seems to make more sense in terms of being able to block counter techniques.

Just curious.

--Cliarlaoch

Zepp

Master of Arts
Reaction score
The woods of Marin County, California, USA
I believe the purpose in having you do this is to help you keep your balance while you're kicking, especially if you're throwing the sidekick to the head. However, once you have your muscle memory properly trained, I think you'd be better off just keeping your guard in place (or maybe extended just slightly). As far as the "cup-and-saucer" while you're chambering the kick, I've only seen that done in forms.

OP
S

sweeper

I don't practice TKD so you may wish to ignore me :p but in JKD we tend to throw side kicks right after jabs or we use our lead (assuming it's a lead leg sidekick) to pull your opponant's elbow/guard out of position, since the attacks are back to back most of the time your arm is still out when you hit your target.

Just related info :)

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Well, Zepp, they do the cup and saucer in practicing the technique itself... but only in that vein, not in sparring... I've never seen it done in any other situation besides practicing the technique itself or in forms... weird. And I actually find my balance, while not bad, is better with my guard in. It also allows me to defend myself against a counter motion, I think.

I haven't ever fallen over while doing it with the cup-and-saucer (as opposed to the guard-in method, which I learned from my first dojang in Texas), but I still don't know why one would execute the technique that way.

*shrug*

--Cliarlaoch

jfarnsworth

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have to agree with Zepp on the answer given. Practice initially with the C & S then try with the hands in the guard position and don't drop them.;)

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Will try it, although I've pretty much developed my side kick to my satisfaction w/o the c-a-s up 'till now... I was just curious as to why you folks thought that method. Thanks for the replies!

Chronuss

Senior Master
Reaction score
I find that when I do a sidekick the elbow on the lead arm is achored and guards high and my rear hand drops and guards the groin. that last portion must be on the subconscious level. ;)

OP
C

Cliarlaoch

Yeah, sounds like subconscious alright... like my fighting stance... one hand mid-range, one hand guarding low... no more crotch shots allowed, thank you!!! :p

Latest Discussions