Expressing "Indomitable Spirit"

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Wondering if any of you can tell me how to write "Indomitable Spirit" in Korean as it is in the Tenets/Creed/whatever you call it. If it helps I've decided I want a TKD-related tattoo and this is my first choice. It will be completely on it's own and I'd like for it to just say "Indomitable Spirit" when it's read. I don't know much about written Korean so my apologies in advance.

Thanks a lot.

EDIT: I wanted this in TKD but I posted it here accidentally. I guess it works fine here too.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Sure

백절불굴

Baekjeol Boolgool (normally romanised as Baekjool, but the "oo" in the first part isn't pronounced the same as the "oo" in the second part).

Let me know if you want me to do it in a few nice fonts (and big) so you can pick one. I have about 20-30 Korean fonts (most of them rubbish, but maybe half a dozen great ones).

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Mr. Jeffries, that's very much appreciated. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to see some of your fonts when you get a chance :)

Edit: hey, purple belt.

oftheherd1

Senior Master
Reaction score
You might want to look at http://www.indiana.edu/~koreanrs/hangul.html some help in pronouncing the Korean vowels and consonants. The consonant sounds assume you know something about the sounds already, but the vowels are good. With the consonants, just try to listen for the consonant sound itself. Even in English, we have to add vowels to say a single consonant letter, and so do the Koreans.

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks a lot Mr. Jeffries, that's very much appreciated. If you wouldn't mind I'd love to see some of your fonts when you get a chance :)

Andy is fine and here is the same words in some different fonts. Let me know if you want one of them much bigger to copy from easily/print. My favourite (just for discussion purposes) is GungSeo, with HYBackSong coming second. I've always tended to use MyungJo (I have a few that are very similar like that) on formal documents, but I've started using GungSeo and HYBackSong for headings/artwork recently.

$indomitable-spirit.png

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Andy, one more question. If I write these going down like this:

e
x
a
m
p
l
e

instead of like this:

example

does it change the meaning at all?

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Also, if you get a chance today could you show me Gungseo and MyungJo a little bigger?

Thanks again

Cyriacus

Senior Master
Reaction score
IMG_6746.jpg
Thanks again! Just finished it. :)

Im just going to shamelessly say that if it were me, id have it inclined slightly towards the Front or Back of the Arm, as oppose to the exact side...

Then ill just Praise it for looking Good :)

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Im just going to shamelessly say that if it were me, id have it inclined slightly towards the Front or Back of the Arm, as oppose to the exact side...Then ill just Praise it for looking Good :)

I actually had it drawn out more forward, then I tried this and, I dunno, it was more what I wanted. Thanks for your praise too, I'm very happy with it. Either way, kind of late now :D

It looks AWESOME!!!

Thanks Naomisarah, I was pleased with how it turned out too. It's nice and big too, you can just barely see the last character under a short sleeve t shirt which is exactly how I wanted it positioned :DEventually, I want to shadow it and add some grays for depth maybe. Ultimately I'd like it to become the centerpiece of a half sleeve.

Rumy73

Black Belt
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this earlier. On its own simply means 백절불굴(百折不屈) ―하다 (be) indefatigable;unbending;indomitable;unflinching However, to express indomitable spirit it needs to include the word spirit as such: 백절불굴의 정신

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
The basic meaning's there, I'm happy. A Korean friend of mine already explained it to me before I had it done; I asked him to read what Andy posted. (Not doubting you Andy it's just kind of a permanent thing and I wanted some confirmation...)

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
I wish I had seen this earlier. On its own simply means 백절불굴(百折不屈) ―하다 (be) indefatigable;unbending;indomitable;unflinching However, to express indomitable spirit it needs to include the word spirit as such: 백절불굴의 정신

As the Tenets of Taekwondo are generally an ITF/Ch'ang Hon thing, I took it from General Choi's 15-set encyclopaedia as I would have thought that authoritative. I'll bow to your better Korean knowledge though (although it's a bit late for this debate ;-) ).

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
The basic meaning's there, I'm happy.

Then that's all that matters

A Korean friend of mine already explained it to me before I had it done; I asked him to read what Andy posted. (Not doubting you Andy it's just kind of a permanent thing and I wanted some confirmation...)

Absolutely mate, I don't blame you in the slightest. As you can see from my post a moment ago, I took it from a fairly authoritative source rather than guessing or using my basic Korean knowledge.

On that note, I was very pleased as I had a very simple conversation with one of the Kukkiwon demonstration team members yesterday in Korean - it was only a "do you do Taekwondo", "yes, I'm a 5th Dan", "I am too, we're the same" conversation - but I understood completely so I was chuffed!

OP
E

ETinCYQX

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Thanks again Andy! I just blew it up with some photo editing software after. What do you think?

andyjeffries

Senior Master
Reaction score
Thanks again Andy! I just blew it up with some photo editing software after. What do you think?

It looks massive and painful, but nicely done. I often thought of getting a Taekwondo tattoo when I was younger, but never did. Keiran Cox (a successful British Taekwondo player from back in the day) had one I seem to remember, a guy kicking towards Taekwondo in Han'gul.

Latest Discussions