Experienced artists.....Sunday experience....

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, traveled up to the main dojo on Sunday for an advanced class that takes place every Sunday at 11 am.

I got there a little early and was invited to join the "magic" class that the yudansha all refer to. It is an invitation only class, and is usually only attended by the most senior students and instructors who are invited. They invited me to participate....

The man leading the class has been doing Aikido, along with japanese jujutsu, some chinese internal arts, and other studies for the past 35 years. He's a retired FBI agent, and has seen a LOT. His techniques are impeccable.

But this class wasn't about techniques....it was about slight changes in body position, and using very small, almost imperceptible movements to disrupt an opponents balance. Working completely neutral foot posture, and structure and using no pushing or pulling movements to disrupt someone.....

I watched him do it to someone, and my first thought was "********, that can't be real, and cannot really work"....

So he practiced with me, and without grabbing, we just made contact with our hands outstretched on each others forearms. I resisted a little, and next thing I knew, I didn't see him move barely at all, and I was falling forward......WTF? So, I resisted even more, and this time ended up on the floor. He explained that the movement is still there, but it is simply very small spirals/circles, and slight shifts in posture and weight. He said "It's really not magical at all, but does take a lot of practice". I tried and tried, and was able to make him move a little, but nothing like he was doing to me. He laughed and said, "remember, I've been working on this for 30 years".....Most of the other advanced folks could barely do it as well, which made me feel a little better.

It was the strangest thing I'd ever experienced, and if I watched it on YouTube or some video, I would call complete BS, but having experienced it, I am now thinking about it constantly and trying to figure out just how the hell he did that......:eek:

Xue Sheng

All weight is underside
Reaction score
Cool

My taijiquan sifu can do the same thing and he has been training only Taiji for around 60 years. It looks magical, but it isn't, it is a lot of training

I will tell you this, the more you resist, or the more force you give them, they easier it is for them to apply it.

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Lost a tooth that way.

And that's all I am going to say about that.

Good on you that you got to see some of that stuff! Like you, I have zero ability to perform at that level at this time, but my eyes have been opened.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
I will tell you this, the more you resist, or the more force you give them, they easier it is for them to apply it.

That's what he said as well......the whole time, he's completely relaxed, and extended, and just...immovable.

marques

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Happy to know the martial art is alive. Thanks. Really.
These days we have to chose between dancing arts and martial sports... And I have been trying in a few countries.
PS: And yes, discussing (and just watching) top things most be avoided. It must be felt, as you confirm.

Brian King

Master of Arts
Supporting Member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Wonderful! Love this stuff but it can be addicting, frustrating, and very rewarding. My first advice - get greedy in your training. Ask to feel it from the instructor every opportunity. Even if you think you have an idea of what is going on- feel it, often the idea shifts and new questions arise during and after the physical contact. Good luck.

Regards
Brian King

Midnight-shadow

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
This to me is the essence of Internal Martial Arts. You don't need big muscles to win a fight if you can control your opponent. There is a saying that big muscles are only good for doing what it took to get them (i.e. lifting weights). The problem with muscles is they can only contract when met against a resistant force. If that resistant force suddenly disappears your muscles are useless, and no matter how strong you are or how much power you use, it means nothing. An Internal Martial Arts Master uses circular motions to redirect the opponent's force, causing them to lose balance and control while the Master stays still. By controlling the flow of energy through contact, you can either redirect your opponent's energy back at them, causing them to stagger back or even hurt themselves, or you can redirect the energy out to the side, causing your opponent to lose balance and fall forwards (as you experienced).

It takes amazing skill to pull this off and of course gets a lot harder in a fight when someone is throwing punches at you, but it is possible.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
There's a lot of tiny pieces and subtle movements that take many, many hours of work and focus to get right... and nobody sees it. At best, they see the results -- but even then, they often miss it or make excuses.

Congrats on getting to see this. I was ungawdly fortunate that my instructor decided to focus us on these sorts of things not long after I started... and, while I may know a bit, and be able to do a little... I have plenty of work ahead of me, still.

OP
Spinedoc

Spinedoc

Brown Belt
Reaction score
So, I've practice a few more times with this guy, and I'm still just totally confused...LOL. It's kind of mind bending.

Latest Discussions