Expensive sports bras - worth it or no?

Discussion in 'Women of the Martial Arts (Women Martial Artists)' started by NSRTKD, Sep 5, 2011.

1. NSRTKD

NSRTKD Green Belt

I went to a Victoria's Secret on the weekend and found realllllly nice sports bras for $30 each. They had so much breathability and structure without cups or wires and didn't pinch off my chest to reveal that stubborn armpit roll. But though I carried it around the store for 20 minutes, I couldn't bring myself to pay that much for an article of clothing that I need at least three of.

But now, sitting here in my 3-for-$15 Walmart chest constrictor, I'm starting to wish I had gotten them. I'm still torn in my head... so help me out, please?

If you've ever bought an expensive sports bra, have you found them to last through frequent washes like the cheap ones do? Are they as comfortable during exercise?

If you haven't bought one, would you? I don't find sports bras to be uncomfortable until the end of a day in one, but I wonder if I would buy one and then notice how much discomfort I've been ignoring. I wonder if my neck wouldn't be as sore at the end of a day.

2. Ceicei

Ceicei Grandmaster

• MartialTalk Mentor
    I think a lot of this is dependent upon body type and how much support is needed. For some people, the "Walmart" brand may be more than satisfactory; for others, the higher end brand may provide a better fit and quality for their body type.

If you're not sure, why not try one of the pricier ones and see how it compares with the level of training you do. You might find the price well worth it or you may find the cheaper one suits your needs just fine.

Ceicei

3. Dagney Taggert

Dagney Taggert Green Belt

I will say yes, it is definitely worth it. I have "Moving Comfort" brand sports bras I bought literally over 10 years ago, and they are still in excellent shape. I use them for running, BJJ, and general weight work-outs. I am not dainty with them, they get washed with everything in hot water and dried for one hour on high heat.

Dag

4. NSRTKD

NSRTKD Green Belt

That's awesome. I think I will try one of them and see how it goes, and maybe invest in more if they work out well!

5. Monroe

Monroe Purple Belt

I think this comes down to breast size. As a c-cup, for jogging I need an expensive sports bra, but for most sports, a cheap sports bra will do.

6. harlan

harlan 2nd Black Belt

I bought UnderArmour and liked it. But it was WAAAY too expensive to buy more than one. And face it, if we practice every day, it's going to be a lot of wear and tear and washing. I also found a style of Danskin sports bra at Walmart that supported these 42 D's for $15 apiece...and love it. At that price I could afford to buy one for every day of the week...which extended the life of them considerably. :)

7. luckiest

luckiest White Belt

Bras are so much more expensive in Australia compared to the US/Canada! $30 sounds like good value, I would get at least one. After years of being uncomfortable, I shelled out for two expensive sports bras ($50 each, and that was on ebay, they were $80 in stores). One was good when I tried it on, but chafes! Annoying. The other one is awesome and I always wear it to tae kwon do and any other exercise. It is a special brand Berlei that was developed here in Australia after a bunch of research on breast movement! I'm not sure if you can get it overseas. Anyway, before I thought I didn't really need one, but now I've decided it's definitely worth the money. I hand wash mine but it's still fine after nearly a year, though it's recommended you replace it often. Obviously it depends on how much support you need too. I'm quite a bit bigger than average and took a while to realise that just because most people I know don't use sports bras, doesn't mean I don't need to!

8. imitation_vanilla

imitation_vanilla Yellow Belt

In my opinion, Victoria's Secret sport bras are very worth it. They are comfortable, they fit well, and they last. They're a very good investment. A badly-fitting bra is just awful. If the price really rankles you, sign up for e-mails so you can get a discount!

9. Blindside

Blindside Senior Master

• Founding Member
    My wife is currently a G or something ridiculous like that, she swears by Title 9 for her sports bras.