Exciting class

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Last night was my first non sparring night as a fresh red belt. It was interesting after 2 years of basically knowing everything and doing the same routine.. to be put back into a newbie position. New hand techniques I've never done, new kicks and a new form.

I'm doing Choon Gun now, and I must say its quite a bit different. Yul Gok was a very powerful form, and this one is alot more fluid and finessed. I like it, its a welcome change of pace.

Its cool being with the "big boys" now. Since I'm doing almost everything with the black belts now. Which is great, since most of them are adults.

CDKJudoka

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Welcome to the advanced rank classes. It was liking walking into a new High School when I got my red belt, and it was refreshing at the same time. Going to this school was the same thing, but it was even tougher being that I was thrown right into the BB classes after being out of it for almost 6 years.

ynnad

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
Last night was my first non sparring night as a fresh red belt. It was interesting after 2 years of basically knowing everything and doing the same routine.. to be put back into a newbie position. New hand techniques I've never done, new kicks and a new form.

I'm doing Choon Gun now, and I must say its quite a bit different. Yul Gok was a very powerful form, and this one is alot more fluid and finessed. I like it, its a welcome change of pace.

Its cool being with the "big boys" now. Since I'm doing almost everything with the black belts now. Which is great, since most of them are adults.

My kids and I just got our green belts last night and will be moving up to the intermediate class. I long to be with "the big boys." I too often feel like this.
icon11.gif

Last edited by a moderator:

chrispillertkd

Senior Master
Reaction score
It's always a great motivator to have new material to work on. You can always fine-tune techniques you've already been taught, but having a whole new pattern, new kicks, new hand techniques and new self-defense skills to work on is great.

BTW, out of curiosity, are you with the ITF or do you do ITF "style" Taekwon-Do? You said you were now a red belt but that means you should be learning Hwa-Rang (which is the ITF's 2nd gup pattern). Just curious.

Pax,

Chris

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
He and I are in the same class...

We're "ITF style"...we're not under the ITF organization itself.

Our instructor is actually really oldschool...he's been teaching the same cirriculum since the late 70's...I don't think he's kept up with any changes that are current.

MasterWright

Purple Belt
Reaction score
It's always a great motivator to have new material to work on. You can always fine-tune techniques you've already been taught, but having a whole new pattern, new kicks, new hand techniques and new self-defense skills to work on is great.

BTW, out of curiosity, are you with the ITF or do you do ITF "style" Taekwon-Do? You said you were now a red belt but that means you should be learning Hwa-Rang (which is the ITF's 2nd gup pattern). Just curious.

Pax,

Chris
We did Joong-Gun at blue and Toi-Gye at red stripe. There must be another colored belt at his school after red.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Our ranks/forms are as follows at our dojang:

white - Chon-Ji
Yellow - Do-San
Green - Dan-Gun
Blue - Won - Hyo, Yul-Gok
Red - Chun-Gun
Recommended Black - Toi-Gye
1st Dan - Hwa-Rang, Choong-Mu

OP
Sylo

Sylo

Purple Belt
Reaction score
We did Joong-Gun at blue and Toi-Gye at red stripe. There must be another colored belt at his school after red.

goes.. kinda like this as brandon said...

white = chon Ji
yellow = dan gun
yellow/black = dan gun
green = dosan
green/black = dosan
blue = won hyo
blue/black = yul gok
red = choon gun
red/black = ???
recommended black (black belt with red stripe) = ???
1st dan = ???

brandonlucas can probably fill those in.

BrandonLucas

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
goes.. kinda like this as brandon said...

white = chon Ji
yellow = dan gun
yellow/black = dan gun
green = dosan
green/black = dosan
blue = won hyo
blue/black = yul gok
red = choon gun
red/black = ???
recommended black (black belt with red stripe) = ???
1st dan = ???

brandonlucas can probably fill those in.

Lol...see my above post.

Latest Discussions