Excessive or not?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Well, I saw an episode of cops once...it was shot in Great Britain...they had to deal with a guy and when they decided to arrest him, they politely asked him to get into their tiny police car...and he did, and they didn't cuff the guy... They took him to the station, and they waited to search the guy for weapons until just before they moved him from the main desk to the cell area...I couldn't believe it...
That's not just over seas. I've seen some crazy stuff in some smaller departments. I remember we were tracking a PCP dealer that had property a few counties over. I went over there and had a deputy show me the area. He didn't carry cuffs, spray, baton, or wear a vest. I asked him about it and he said "I grew up here everyone knows me they won't hurt me.". I said really because the guy who's house your taking me too isn't from here, doesn't know you, and will kill you. He laughed and said naa I'm OK.

K-man

Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
What part wasn't within the law?
My comment was a general statement to Bill and not specifically directed at the video situation. Bill was intimating that the police are always right and they always do the right thing. I believe that is mostly the case, but there are many instances where they cross the line and end up being sued or worse, ending up facing charges.

In this instance I have no idea what sparked the incident or what happened before the video commenced. Was it excessive? Possibly. Did it look bad and show the police in poor light? Certainly. Could it have been handled better? Probably. As I said, if that video was taken here, there would be an enquiry. I'm not calling it one way or the other.
:asian:

DennisBreene

3rd Black Belt
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with several others. What puzzled me as I watched this was why the officers were taking so long in taking control of the individual. He clearly was not going to comply with requests to turn over. At some point when what you are doing isn't working, it's time to try something else. As for excessive force; one crack on the legs with a baton made me wince but he was kicking. All in all, I'd say the officers were trying too hard to avoid injuring the individual and probably made the situation worse for themselves in the process. I don't see excessive force at all and think the argument for more direct force in this case is pretty compelling.