Excellent Karate Combo.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
You should not start your training from foot sweep. You should start from the following order:

1. shine bite - downward force.
2. scoop - horizontal force.
3. sticky straight up lift - vertical upward force.
4. sticky 45 degree upward lift - 45 degree upward force.
5. foot sweep - 45 degree upward force.

1 -> 2 -> 3 -> 4 -> 5

In other words, before you learn how to sweep, you will need to learn how to set up and bite your foot on your opponent's leg.

Chang-shin-bite1.jpg

A proper ashi barrai is just number two.
It is a horizontal scoop vs an unbalanced person in motion.

It is functionally identical to a broom sweeping a few marbles. or a hockey stick passing a hockey puck.
or a golf club vs a golf ball.
like a pendulum swing in some respects because you dont have to have a lot of force.

It's so natural a motion it shows up in street fights in the untrained.

looking for the other link... but here is a great ashi barrai on an unsuspecting individual.
i am putting it here to demonstrate the motion.

about the effort of passing a soccer ball down field.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
It looks like the guy who got swept was going in for a hard punch and was in the process of loading his front leg. The timing of the sweep was perfect, not requiring a lot of effort. He did an impressive slide back to get in position and add strength to the knee. Gravity and the force started by the white guy moving in created a lot of the force from the knee. Timing is a beautiful thing.

It is also where he puts his leg between the othe guys. I have been caught on sweeps like that.

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
It needs to land just after they have shifted their body weight forward onto the lead leg, but before their foot has settled.

A lot of MA have not learned about moving the center / transferring weight until the foot has settled. They lift the foot too high.

This is an exploitable weakness in the young artist. the mature artist has been told, and has learned how to move without compromising structure.

The beginner kata Sanchin, or Nihanchi both are tied to this principle. If you have mastered either of these kata, then your not going to easily be swept by ashi barrai.

To be swept after that requires active efforts to off balance.
there is an old Okinawan expression that is claimed to have originated in China. in English it comes across as follows.

"The boy that cannot walk stumbles much, the man that keeps his feet also keeps his head"

the other version was

"The boy that cannot walk stumbles easily, the man that keeps his feet also keeps his head"
I was working on Jindo today and was thinking of how it is a straight line form like the Nihanchi's. It is different in that you do face both directions however. If the Nihanchi's go east/west, Jindo travels north/south.

JowGaWolf

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
A proper ashi barrai is just number two.
It is a horizontal scoop vs an unbalanced person in motion.

It is functionally identical to a broom sweeping a few marbles. or a hockey stick passing a hockey puck.
or a golf club vs a golf ball.
like a pendulum swing in some respects because you dont have to have a lot of force.

It's so natural a motion it shows up in street fights in the untrained.

looking for the other link... but here is a great ashi barrai on an unsuspecting individual.
i am putting it here to demonstrate the motion.

about the effort of passing a soccer ball down field.

i had to grin because the guy had what I refer to as "talking feet" which is when the feet are too close together "having a conversation" this was one of my big No-No's. If you want to hear me yell and get loud, then have a student do this after I have already told him / her 2 times about feet being that close. Gut guy being assaulted had the better stance. I guess he stuck his hands in his pockets because he knew the police officer was behind the other guy watching. If you had to do a take down. Sweeps take less efforts than a tackle.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
i had to grin because the guy had what I refer to as "talking feet" which is when the feet are too close together "having a conversation" this was one of my big No-No's. If you want to hear me yell and get loud, then have a student do this after I have already told him / her 2 times about feet being that close. Gut guy being assaulted had the better stance. I guess he stuck his hands in his pockets because he knew the police officer was behind the other guy watching. If you had to do a take down. Sweeps take less efforts than a tackle.

triangle theory. what is easier to topple?
1. Eiffel Tower
2. The Great Pyramid

1. the higher the center of gravity, the more unstable it is. The width of the base corresponds 1 to 1 with the cog.

talking feet... fall down go boom.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
I was working on Jindo today and was thinking of how it is a straight line form like the Nihanchi's. It is different in that you do face both directions however. If the Nihanchi's go east/west, Jindo travels north/south.
Jin Do... aka the tsd version of Chinto No Kata.

compare

Very much the same. there are notable variations higher kicks, kneeling south vs kneeling west. But the tsd version still retains much of the Okinawan flavor of the form.

your right it is very like sanchin in the north south embusen. as opposed to a strict east west neh bo jin or naihanchi/tekki

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Jin Do... aka the tsd version of Chinto No Kata.

compare

Very much the same. there are notable variations higher kicks, kneeling south vs kneeling west. But the tsd version still retains much of the Okinawan flavor of the form.

your right it is very like sanchin in the north south embusen. as opposed to a strict east west neh bo jin or naihanchi/tekki

We do the form much closer to the first video using side kicks along with the three chambered low block/high backfists. I really like how the second video emphasized the footwork on the turns. He never really pivoted on his feet at all. What do you think the two open hand press moves at the top of the form are doing? We do them slowly; left hand on top, palms down first, then turn 90° left and press right hand on top palms up. The only application I have thought of is some sort of sticky hands with a lot of resistance. What is your understanding of the moves?

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
We do the form much closer to the first video using side kicks along with the three chambered low block/high backfists. I really like how the second video emphasized the footwork on the turns. He never really pivoted on his feet at all. What do you think the two open hand press moves at the top of the form are doing? We do them slowly; left hand on top, palms down first, then turn 90° left and press right hand on top palms up. The only application I have thought of is some sort of sticky hands with a lot of resistance. What is your understanding of the moves?

Are you talking about the 1:40 minute mark right after the reverse punch where he steps, does an overhand shuto/knifehand with the right,
20190208_100022.gif

then he does a hammerfist with the left into the palm of the right.
(Now if you open the fist and flip the shuto/right hand palm down into the left hand and then close the fingers you get a gabblegrip)
Next he swivels 180° as he brings the knee up.
20190208_100223.gif

1st application of a movement like that I see is a checking parry as you sidestep to the attackers outside, it slides (swms) forward over the sholders and under the chin.
What if he tries to tuck his chin? That would be a Bad Time to catch hammerfist to the back the head.
pain reflex... protect the neck.. correct the posture... the jaw lifts back up. swim it in.

If he didnt tuck the chin...
The hammerfist lands on jaw or temple while jearking upwards and back with wrist and forearm an instant after the atemi. Lock the cablegrip.

This is a moment where you have taken his balance.
Depending on intentions... this is a neck crank or neckbreak or throw.
You swivel 180°. with an off balanced guy. You kneestrike him in his kidney as/or before you swivel.

Question? A. Let him live?

B. Kill him?

A. You toss him. If he is smart, He will be on his way.
B. You ride him to the ground. he is belly down. You either are top with knee on back. or straddling his hips. Choking out is an option. Neck cranking is another but if your knee is on his spine... put a bow in it as you do any of the three.

while not exactly like this... this video shows the throw I see. They used a sweep. this is different.
Because we have his head under the chin, and we are already cranking him.. we have have him forward on his toes. it wont take much more energy to topple him.

They are square to each other.. standard clinch.
but our movement starts outside of the attackers right hip to sholder line.

2nd application... instead of going outside of the attackers right... going inside an attackers left strike.
Thanks to Iain Abernethy for this one.
Same basic principles.

Realize while I have discussed 2 applications... I implicitly mean 4. the reason we are talking about two... because the turn is to the right.

if you mirror image the this sequence of the kata... the turn is to the left.
in the mirror... the applications would be outside the left of the attacker. and inside the right of the attacker.

outside = longer weapons and higher body targets.
hammerfist... knee to kidney.
inside = elbows ... lower body targets.

Last edited:

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
About 26 seconds in the first video, about 52 in the second video. They are doing the move differently, the first palms out like a push, the second palms up like a block. They are both performed slowly so I don't see the neck grab or a toss/throw. We do it more like the second video, palms up then turn and palms down. I could see the parry. Hopefully this will identify the move(s) better.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Naihanchi

I have seen a lot, I mean alot of nihanchi in a lot of styles of karate. I haven't seen or heard of anyone giving bunkai of Ashi Barrai then Hiza Geri. The kosa dachi hasn't been a cue for ashi barrai in bunkai i have ever seen or heard of. Other than the kibadachi aka naifanchin dachi there isnt any other stepping. Sure the returning wave can be a Hiza Geri... but how do we look at the kata and say that Ashi Barrai is in there?

Bill Mattocks

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I have seen a lot, I mean alot of nihanchi in a lot of styles of karate. I haven't seen or heard of anyone giving bunkai of Ashi Barrai then Hiza Geri. The kosa dachi hasn't been a cue for ashi barrai in bunkai i have ever seen or heard of. Other than the kibadachi aka naifanchin dachi there isnt any other stepping. Sure the returning wave can be a Hiza Geri... but how do we look at the kata and say that Ashi Barrai is in there?

Not with the same leg I'll grant you, but the leg sweep is in the bunkai for stepping across prior to the so-called high step (which is bunkai for hiza geri). Many reference those steps across as bunkai for a kick to the ankle with the ball of the foot. In the kata, the hiza geri would be delivered with the opposite knee, though.

Here's soke doing it. Note the step across prior to the knee-lifting high step. Lots of bunkai in that step. Ankle kick, sweep, etc. Not a big obvious movement though. Small.

OP
TSDTexan

TSDTexan

Master of Arts
Reaction score
About 26 seconds in the first video, about 52 in the second video. They are doing the move differently, the first palms out like a push, the second palms up like a block. They are both performed slowly so I don't see the neck grab or a toss/throw. We do it more like the second video, palms up then turn and palms down. I could see the parry. Hopefully this will identify the move(s) better.

i got something to show you specifically. so expect a pm.

Latest Discussions