Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Ex-FBI official says he's 'Deep Throat'
Magazine quotes him as saying he was 'doing his duty'

MSNBC
Updated: 12:17 p.m. ET May 31, 2005

W. Mark Felt, who retired from the FBI after rising to its second most senior position, has identified himself as the "Deep Throat" source quoted by The Washington Post to break the Watergate scandal that ...
Exerpt link HERE.

WOW!!!

-Michael

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Isn't it odd that all journalists will say they need a minimum of 2 sources of a claim for validity reasons, yet this is plastered all over the news. No one is claiming it's true, they just want the ratings to cover it. It hasn't been substantiated yet.

It wasn't Deep Throat that nailed Nixon anyway. It was the tapes.

Your thoughts?

OP
Michael Billings

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
.. or the altering of tapes thereof. The missing 18 or so minutes. Deep Throat was just referenced so many times by Bernstein & Woodward that the "informant" came to such noteriety.

-Michael

evenflow1121

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
A couple other people have come out and alleged that as well. I had heard that deep throat was actually dying or terminally sick and his name would be revealed soon after his death.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Interesting! I'd heard Felt's name mentioned in 1999 but figured no one would say anything until whoever it was died. Why won't Bernstein & Woodward confirm or deny it? Especially if the guy is going public of his own free will (unless it isn't him). Or, they could just be "keeping the mystery" to sell more of their books... :idunno:

OP
Michael Billings

Michael Billings

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
The article says they will not confirm or deny until after his death, keeping to the letter of their agreement to protect a source.

-Michael

Gemini

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gin-Gin said:
InterestingWhy won't Bernstein & Woodward confirm or deny it? Especially if the guy is going public of his own free will (unless it isn't him).
Because they agreed back then that they wouldn't disclose the information until the individual died, and they're holding to that agreement as they should. If it is him, and he chooses to make his identity known, that's up to him.

Gin-Gin

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Michael Billings said:
The article says they will not confirm or deny until after his death, keeping to the letter of their agreement to protect a source.
-Michael
Gemini said:
Because they agreed back then that they wouldn't disclose the information until the individual died, and they're holding to that agreement as they should. If it is him, and he chooses to make his identity known, that's up to him.
Yes, there is something to be said for "keeping one's word" & I can understand them wanting to honor their agreement.

R

raedyn

Gemini said:
No one is claiming it's true, ... It hasn't been substantiated yet.
While I agree that the claim has not been substantiated, certainly someone IS claiming it's true. Mark Felt is claiming it's true. =)

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Gemini said:
Isn't it odd that all journalists will say they need a minimum of 2 sources of a claim for validity reasons, yet this is plastered all over the news. No one is claiming it's true, they just want the ratings to cover it. It hasn't been substantiated yet.

It wasn't Deep Throat that nailed Nixon anyway. It was the tapes.

Your thoughts?

From the link provided:
The confirmation came from Bob Woodward and Carl Bernstein, the two Washington Post reporters who broke the Watergate story, and their former top editor, Benjamin Bradlee.

It looks like the Lawyer confirmed it before releasing the article.

arnisador

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I'm glad to finally know this! I've always been curious.

Kudos to the reporters for keeping their word.

Latest Discussions