"Every cop should learn BJj" Do you agree?

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also think they should get more range time other than twice a year, More constitution and criminal law classes, tactics classes on active shooter, building searches, vehicle stops, more training on alot of things because it just makes everyone better.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
A police officer?

Bouncer.

A lot of things went really wrong for him though.

He was dodging punches, had the guy around the neck and his work colleagues wrote reports that screwed him.

And knocked out one of the guys teeth on the fall.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
I also think they should get more range time other than twice a year, More constitution and criminal law classes, tactics classes on active shooter, building searches, vehicle stops, more training on alot of things because it just makes everyone better.

But nobody does because nobody cares.

Police are disposable.

Arguing two weeks is good enough doesn't help.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
But nobody does because nobody cares.

Police are disposable.

Arguing two weeks is good enough doesn't help.
Arguing BJJ is better on an internet forum doesnt help either.

However as an instructor I along with other instructors have tried for YEARS to get more training mandated in my state without success.

jks9199

Administrator
Staff member
Lifetime Supporting Member
Reaction score
Speaking of cops. This made me laugh my butt off.

Undercover cops pulled over by impersonator
Happens a couple times a year, in one way or another...

Back to the topic...

I recalled something I often do when people start talking about police use of force and wondering why it's so hard to arrest someone... I compare it to dressing a toddler -- who's full grown. Why? If you've ever tried to dress a toddler who doesn't want to get dressed, you know... You're doing all you can to get the clothes on them, and they just squirm and move, and it'd be easy if you didn't care about hurting them... but you can't just mash 'em into the changing table. Arresting an adult isn't that different for a cop... Our goal is to use the force needed, no more, and not to injure the person.

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Arguing BJJ is better on an internet forum doesnt help either.

However as an instructor I along with other instructors have tried for YEARS to get more training mandated in my state without success.

Arguing BJJ is better helps until someone can fix DT.

And nobody is going to fix DT any time soon.

And DT instructors mostly just can't be told without them having a world class sook.

So for police. Smile. Nod. Do the DT.

Then go and enroll in a bjj school. Because it is better.

ballen0351

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score

And DT instructors mostly just can't be told without them having a world class sook.

Except you are not and have never been nor have you ever taken a police DT class so your opinion is welllllllll......nevermind Bjj good cops bad....lather rinse repeat.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So this is why some methods allways appear on YouTube as being successful?

Proven grappling, proven striking generally shown to work and work constantly. And the more esoteric methods never do.

And we see this across the board of the spectrum of human conflict.

And we hear this anecdotally across the board of the spectrum of human conflict.

But what the argument seems to be at this stage is there is all this conflict that is occurring using methods that are so fundementally different that only a specialized instructor from a specific country can understand the process.

This is occurring away from the public eye in such a manner that nobody has a chance to film this or record it. Even though people are filming and recording other conflict involving exactly the people we are discussing.
You're deflecting this to a discussion of whether some MA systems are good or not. That has nothing to do with what I posted, and you know that quite well. You're just trying to drag out old arguments that really don't have bearing to what we're talking about.

You've completely missed the point some are making when they say you don't get it. See, the statements you're making about DT are like saying "martial arts suck for fight training". It's way too general, and can't possibly be applied to the entire population of "martial arts" (or DT). You have seen some DT. You haven't seen the vast majority of what is DT - nobody has. People involved in the industry are much more familiar with some aspects of it than people who are not.

On top of that, you're comparing ongoing training to what is available via mandatory 2-week training. The instructors don't get to decide on that length of time (every DT instructor I've ever known wished for more time and more frequent retraining), so your comments impugning their integrity for offering that training are completely out of line. What they generally accomplish in that short time is pretty impressive. Cops in general tend to do a decent job handling most of the violence they have to deal with, using methods that are passed on mostly by other cops who have used those methods successfully in the field.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score

So, 2 weeks of BJJ will fix it?

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
So, 2 weeks of BJJ will fix it?

Nope. That is why you don't get 2 week BJJ programs.

Ok. Provided the instructor has a real mechanical grasp on the technique. (And that isn't guaranteed. And if he doesn't guys who do understand the mechanics are not able to imput)

They compromise on time.

And therefore compromise on techniques that take time to learn. So because they have easy to apply but potentially no longer high percentage techniques to work from they have to manufacture wins within the training.

So things like sparring go out the window. And they start using combat scenarios.

All of this make any approximation of how a real fight works goes pretty much out the window.

But they also set the standard of what is expected in a real fight. So restraint and control is expected to look like the training. But it doesn't because they are not training realistically.

So this is supposed to work in a fight.

If it doesn't work. Then you are doing it wrong.

Last edited:

drop bear

Sr. Grandmaster
Reaction score
Except you are not and have never been nor have you ever taken a police DT class so your opinion is welllllllll......nevermind Bjj good cops bad....lather rinse repeat.

Yeah. The only opinion that matters is DT instructors.

I have done PPCT. That was terrible.

Last edited:

JR 137

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Speaking of cops. This made me laugh my butt off.

Undercover cops pulled over by impersonator
I didn’t read it, but I’m quite sure I know what happened.

We had an impersonator try to pull over a woman here in my hometown a godd 15 years ago or so. It would’ve been hard to chose a worse target:

Her father was their of police. She called him and quickly lead him to his house. Her two brothers were COs at the county jail, where he was initially brought.

He slipped in the shower. Two days in a row. Nobody saw nuthin’. I guess they should install bath mats or something.

Latest Discussions