• What's Everquest?

Results are only viewable after voting.

tshadowchaser

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Founding Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
never played the game. I don't like haveing to pay a fee eachh month to play.
I have heard that it is addictive once you start.
Also have heard that it depends on which server you play on as to how much help you get as a beginner. I have heard of people playuing solo because others where so advanced as to not make the game any fun.
Your thoughts on these matters

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
the fee is about $10 a month. Goes to maintain the servers, work on game development and stuff. I'd be pissed about the fee if I didn't feel I was getting anything, but the guides and GMs are really good about being there, and the game is constantly evolving.

it can be addictive, as can anything that's a lot of fun. The developers realize this and have built in an alarm that you can set to remind yourself when you need to stop playing and do something else.

There's newbies on every server. Finding groups isn't a problem. Just pick a class people want to play with (enchanter, cleric, warrior, etc)

Jay Bell

Master Black Belt
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Not a chance....after watching my former roomate on Evercrack. I was honestly never impressed by it at all.

Cryozombie

Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I played a Woodelf Druid, and a Dark Elf Rogue on the Lucilin Server, back when EQ was fairly new, and Luclin was a brand new server.

I was spending way way way too much time playing... so I got a life.

OULobo

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I just can't get too into the online competition thang. I can't stand griefers and I'm a little scared at what my life would be like if I started playing a game with no real end. As it is now I play until I beat it (no matter how long it takes) then I take a break for atleast a couple of weeks. Then I start a new one. If I were to play online, there would be no break, just constant play.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
most of the griefers on EQ are on player-v-player servers. If you pick a non- PvP server, there isn't a whole lot for a griefer to do there, because they can't player-kill. most of them lose interest fairly quickly, and the game guides and GMs are really on top of stuff like training and other obnoxious behavior. They don't hesitate to ban people for being stupid.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I played it some at a freinds house a couple of times. Great fun to play. Addicting. I thought about getting it but that would cost some money and I'd rather get a game with a plot to it. I also didn't have dsl or cable or anything like that so it wouldn't work well. Now at college I live at an apartment that can't get anything above 56k so I still won't get it.
Long story short I don't fall into any catagories. Fun game and maybe someday but not right now.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
weird...

I played EQ on a 28.8 modem for two years. never had any real probs. got a few disconnects every so often, but that was about it.

someguy

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
I just figured it wouldn't work well. That comes from when I played wolfenstein. I lagged so bad some times that I was invincible. That was funny.
Whats that old saying about assuming.

OP
Nightingale

Nightingale

Senior Master
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
EQ works fine on a 28.8 modem. I still have a few friends who use them to play. Because the graphics and such are all on your hard drive, there's not a lot of data being passed back and forth between your system and the server.

OUMoose

Trying to find my place
Reaction score
Been playing EQ for neigh 4 years now... ugh... someone tap another vein please!!

Giledorm Farrunner - 65 Barbarian BST on the Tribunal
Cthiz Soulstalker - 52 Iksar SK
Woodi - 54 Wood Eld Druid (bot)

and Various other alts.

Though, most of my time has been in City of Heroes recently, as it's almost as intoxicatingly fun as EQ used to be. /nod.

Latest Discussions