ever really hurt someone

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
I was wondering if any of you great people ever really had to hurt someone to the point of putting them in a hospital and what was the circumstances behind it?

I know when I was doinf alot of sparring tournament I broke a few bones, but not to the extent of some \body spending the week in a hospital room.

Yes and the police reports and the questioning all night long are something I have not done in a long time and do not look forward to doing in the future if I can avoid it.

I will say this most were just an over night stay. A couple were a little longer as they were unconscious or just coming around when the ambulance took them away. Getting dropped on the asphalt or having one's head meet a wall or car does that.

I will admit I spent a few hours getting tests or xrays done myself. Other times when I should have gone, I did not, or went to the doctors a few days later.

In training I have separated someone's shoulder. I have had a rib "pop" out and back in no break, just the loud popping sound I felt the motion and saw a blinding white light and lost all my air. I guess miss blocking a spin heel kick by an inch will do that. I have broken fingers (* happens with sticks all the time *) and I used to carry a frog just for that because of the accidents that can occur.

TraditionalTKD

Blue Belt
Reaction score
Fortunately nothing more than bloody noses and bruised egos. Have stunned a few people with well timed high roundhouse and axe kicks. I save my power for the sandbag.

Shaderon

Master of Arts
Reaction score
Thankfully no, and I hope I'll never have to either. I had a long hard temper when I was a teenager though, my boyfriends brother tried to interfere in an argument we were having and went to push me, I don't know how it happened but the tussle ended up with my hand round his throat and his feet off the floor. It scared me and I've always walked away since.

Rich Parsons

A Student of Martial Arts
Founding Member
Lifetime Supporting Member
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
Thankfully no, and I hope I'll never have to either.

This is the way I wish it was myself. I can wish for it to be this way for more people. So I think of you and the others like you as the lucky ones. :)

blackxpress

Green Belt
Reaction score
As far as MA is concerned, not seriously. The closest I've come was one night during sparring practice. I was sparring with my Sensei and threw a spinning backfist. He missed the block and it caught him right in front of his ear. It was only about half power, I was wearing gloves and he was wearing a padded sparring helmet and it still nearly knocked him out. His knees buckled just a little and he threw up his hands and turned his back to me. Took him a couple of minutes to recover. He said he saw stars. Made a believer out of me. I can only imagine what one of those strikes would do if it was full power without padding. I felt pretty bad because I didn't mean to hit him that hard.

Kwiter

Green Belt
Reaction score
Does crippling them with sarcasm count? ;-)

Worst I've ever done was break a nose and had a hand busted against my Cro Magnon Skull ;-)

Skennen Peace.

Skip Cooper

Purple Belt
Reaction score
Never put anyone in the hospital for days, but been in many scrapes during my years. Ironically, I was involved in more fights before I began training in MA. Fortunately, I have yet to use my training in a real life situation.

Em MacIntosh

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
I've had all the nice guy beaten out of me. I have no patience anymore. You want my shoes? Here. You want my hat? Here. My jacket? My watch? My chain? Here. You ever, EVER put your hands on me and you lose your eyes, nuts and/or your life. Material objects are just that, stuff. It's just money. The concept of them not understanding they've won though, that's when things get sticky. I'm giving them my stuff peacefully but it's not enough and they wanna touch me? Ooooh, buddy! BIG mistake. Anyone I've sent to the hospital usually got hurt by their surroundings, i.e. pavement. One guy attacked me in a phone booth. I ended up "trading him spots" and slamming him all around the booth until he quit moving. I've kicked (repeatedly) plenty of car doors closed on people's legs when they try to get out after me. One guy pulled a knife on me and I chucked a brick and hit him in the forehead (lucky shot, *klink*). I wish I was better at martial arts and not hurting people. I feel they all deserved it though, and I never sent anyone there on purpose. I ALWAYS stick around and call them an ambulance if they need it (the police appreciate me staying around and making a statement too). My problem is where I live. I've learned not to wear jewellery or nice jackets or to walk with my girlfreind or without a group in the wrong areas. I must stress though, even if you feel you can handle someone, give them your wallet (or jacket). For me it's a concept of being "touched". That's my "nice guy" line. If you can defend yourself without sending someone to the hospital (morgue for you tenth-degree black dragon kung fu grand-masters) or better yet, without even hurting them, you're a much better martial artist than me. I still regret when I have to hurt someone, even though my life was in danger. The sad part is people who provoke it.

MA-Caver

Sr. Grandmaster
MT Mentor
Reaction score
I wish I was better at martial arts and not hurting people. I feel they all deserved it though, and I never sent anyone there on purpose. I ALWAYS stick around and call them an ambulance if they need it (the police appreciate me staying around and making a statement too).
Just from that tells me that you're a martialist. Being a martialist doesn't mean you HAVE to hurt people. Sometimes you do because you have to. A contradictory statement if ever there was one...
It will always, always be your intent when you hurt someone. The why you are hurting them. The fact that you stick around to call an ambulance shows compassion (not remorse... if you say "aww gee fella I'm sorry" ... then you're remorseful, which (IMO) you should never be when someone attacks you. The fact also that you're willing to stick around and give the police a statement shows the acceptance of responsibility for your actions which shows a mature Martial Artist.

I still regret when I have to hurt someone, even though my life was in danger. The sad part is people who provoke it.
Yes, it's okay to regret having to hurt them but you seem to understand that they brought it upon themselves by trying to hurt you. But never let them know that. :D :asian:

I've hurt people yes, but only once may have someone been sent to the hospitial... I don't know. I somehow ended up in the "bad sector" of Washington D.C. (N.E. Fla Ave.) in the night at around 2:30 am and was trying to (walk) to a safe haven... a college campus. I was accosted by someone and in effect use an slashing axe hand against his windpipe (lucky shot really) and he went down... I kept walking. It was one of those situations/places where you don't stick around. I wasn't sorry for the guy, but I've grown up since then. :asian:

10,000 Hit Combo

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
This one time I was running away from a group of guys. As they chased me their group thinned out. One of the little guys was gaining on me but his buddies were about fifty feet behind him. He got close enough and I stopped, planted my foot and straight-armed him in the cheek. He hit the ground hard and didn't move. I kept running. They didn't follow me. I often wonder...

Latest Discussions