Ever broken someone?

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
how come you hurt so many people? Isnt that a sign of carelessness?

Never my intent to hurt anyone in the classroom. One with a broken arm, he tried block a spinning back kick with his arm and even though the technique was pulled it still broke his arm. Noses are very easy to break and during our 50 man fight during testing it is very common to get careless when you are dead tired.

searcher

Senior Master
Reaction score
And he is a 4th degree black belt. He has been training a VERY long time.

I am actually now a 6th degree.
icon11.gif

I don't feel like it has been that long. you are making me feel old.:erg:

KenpoSterre

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I have a tendency to do that one here. :)

Yeah I was careless when I typed that. Since my worst injury(in Karate) was bruised shins and bruises and minor concussions, broken bones seem very well big. Sorry for what I said though.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
I believe this thread is necessary.

It is important to know how our fellow martial artists have dealt with the injuries they cause and suffered, and what kind of injuries are common in our hobby.

I can´t see how honestly trading relevant experiences can relate to a supposed "glorification of violence".

He didn't ask how we dealt with it - he asked for a gory story. There is a substantial difference. For example - I visited the two men in the hospital despite being told not to by the police and asked their forgiveness because I felt so bad about what had happened. It was traumatic, but you don't need to know the story to know that. I dealt with it by moving on and promising myself to train harder to be able to use less violence in a self defense situation. In time, this event led me to the very real understanding that my environment is largely my choice - I had the freedom to avoid it and move somewhere safer to live.

matt.m

Senior Master
Reaction score
I was involved in hand to hand overseas while in the Marines doing duty for uncle bill. However, and I cannot stress this enough. Violence performed in duty to help others or the duty to one's country while deployed in harms way is way different than getting into a fight at the bar.

Speaking of, I have not been in what I would call a fight since leaving active duty in 1997.

terry_gardener

Yellow Belt
Reaction score
it was in the paper couple of months ago that a woman was attacked by 4 lads, the woman was a black belt (but cant remember which art) the 4 lads that attacked her ended up on the floor in pain, one lad even had a broken leg. so the woman phoned the police to let them know that she has just been attacked and they where on the floor needing some medical attention and also said that she was a black belt.

In the polices investigations afterwards the lad with the broken leg wanted to press charges on the woman for braking his leg and the police told him that he didn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) with this claim as he attacked her and she was only using reasonable force.

tradrockrat

2nd Black Belt
Reaction score
it was in the paper couple of months ago that a woman was attacked by 4 lads, the woman was a black belt (but cant remember which art) the 4 lads that attacked her ended up on the floor in pain, one lad even had a broken leg. so the woman phoned the police to let them know that she has just been attacked and they where on the floor needing some medical attention and also said that she was a black belt.

In the polices investigations afterwards the lad with the broken leg wanted to press charges on the woman for braking his leg and the police told him that he didn't have a leg to stand on (no pun intended) with this claim as he attacked her and she was only using reasonable force.

That is a wonderful story - especially in this age of rediculous litigation getting good citizens in trouble.

Thanks for posting this.

IWishToLearn

3rd Black Belt
Reaction score
Right, as Martial Arts is about self defence, as well as fitness, self-balance, co-ordination, and of course fun, have you ever really hurt someone, like broken their bones in a fight? This can be inside of outside the dojo, just tell me your stories (especially if they are gorey).

Or, have YOU ever been a victim of a broken bone/wrist/[other], eg, someone has thrown you incorrectly and you weren't able to make a ukemi (fall), or punched someone and done more damage to yourself?
Nothing in MA training worse than a bloody nose. Although not my direct involvement, I did have a student stick his foot into the ground and try to move his body weight, in effect dam near snapping his ankle in half. A year later he's back to 90-95% mobility and strength on it.

King

Green Belt
Reaction score
I have a curse when it comes to drawing blood. When I spar I throw really light controlled punches - but by fluke or unluckiness I often give my sparring partners bloody noses or split lips. I apologize as soon as I see it, they don't even have a clue they are bleeding until I point it out. Most of the time we are both like "how did that happen?" My only guess is maybe it's the angle my punch comes in. But again it's by fluke.

On a more serious note a few years ago a partner and I were working on defensive drills. I reached out to initiate a knee (using hands for leverage) when my partner suddenly ducked (boxing style) and CRUNCH! I can still hear that noise in my head and it makes me cringe. Lots of blood started gushing out of his mouth and he had to be driven to the hospital. 24 stitches inside of his mouth later and I'm still apologizing when I see him.

In a much recent incident I had a swing kick vs swing kick collision a couple months ago. We both laughed it off after the fact but I didn't see the other guy for 3 weeks. When he got back he told me that our collision pushed back his little toe tendons into his foot which made his whole foot and leg swell up. He couldn't even walk for 2 weeks... Before I can apologize he cuts me off with "accidents in the gym happens". So we're cool.

Touch Of Death

Sr. Grandmaster
MTS Alumni
Reaction score
A visiting brown belt was doing a defense and I recognized a possible flaw. His lead arm was low, with his elbow turned toward me. I pull drag kicked the elbow and sure enough it broke his arm. He left and never visited again. Oops!
Sean

Latest Discussions