Evans nixs fight between himself & Couture

AceHBK

Master Black Belt
Reaction score
Rashad Evans was on MMA Live via phone and spoke out about the whole Rampage issue. He mentioned that the UFC did offer him a fight with Randy Couture (who is will now fight at 205) but he tured it down,

Rashad said that he felt that a fight with Randy wouldn't do anything for him and couldn't help him get back on track to regaining his belt. Hmmmm

I don't understand how you can call out Anderson Silva (which he did on MMA Live a week ago as a guest) but then turn down a fight against a UFC HOF'er. Not like Couture is Mark Coleman. Fighting Silva wouldn't put him on any track to get his belt. All it would do is delay him since after he would get KO'd, he would be on medical suspension....lol

I wouldn't be surprised that Couture would be next in line for the LW belt after the Machida/Rua fight since he is a big name in the division and deserves a crack at the belt.

Kind of a lame reason from Rashad....

Kwan Jang

Purple Belt
Reaction score
I am glad to see Randy going back down to light-heavyweight. He seems in much better condition at 205 and I always felt that he only went into the heavyweight division because the competition was weaker at the time. Randy reminds me of BJ Penn in that regard. BJ can fight at welter if he allows himself to carry more excess fat, but it does nothing to enhance his performance.

As far as Rashad is concerned, regaining "his belt" is going to be a very long shot as long as Machida is hungry, healthy and at the top of his game. When Machida pwned Rashad, it wasn't a fight, it reminded me of an air raid. He'd swoop in and land some fire and fly off any time Evans tried to return fire. Wash, rinse and repeat until he "sunk his battleship". No one is invincible and anything can happen in a MMA fight, but if I were Rashad, I would want a lot of prep before I went up against Machida again (and maybe hope someone offers Machida a movie deal to convince him to retire). Rashad Evans IS a very good fighter, but I would not give him great odds against either Randy or Anderson, let alone Lyoto.

Brian R. VanCise

MT Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey I really like Rashad he is a fellow Spartan after all!
icon6.gif
Still Randy is a terrible match up for Rashad and that is why he is not interested in fighting him. It is as simple as that.
icon6.gif

Marginal

Senior Master
Reaction score
Rashad said that he felt that a fight with Randy wouldn't do anything for him and couldn't help him get back on track to regaining his belt. Hmmmm
Not exactly the first fight I'd want to see anyway.

Latest Discussions