Evaluating Risk

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
I'm thinking you'll find that makes them possessions ,or possibly assets ?
If you look up the definition for property as a noun you will find it defined as; ā€œthings owned by someoneā€, ā€œa possession or possessionsā€ as well as being ā€œland and buildsā€.

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
ArgueFool.jpeg

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
I've just had a quick Google hurricane Harvey affected 13 million people and had a death toll of 88 which is shame, but at 12 per million , it's not a high chance of it being you or anyone you know , so not really worth getting in state worrying over

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
If you look up the definition for property as a noun you will find it defined as; ā€œthings owned by someoneā€, ā€œa possession or possessionsā€ as well as being ā€œland and buildsā€.
Only if you use a thick persons dictionary,. but life's to short to re educate every one on the internet

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Very good, you can work Google now apply that to how you assessed the likely hood of your deck chair injuring someone , you could start with find ding out how many deck chair/ wind related hospital admission there are in a year and how many flying deck chairs there are per casualty
Google?

There is no need to do all the above.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Only if you use a thick persons dictionary,. but life's to short to re educate every one on the internet
I took the definition from Cambridge.
Iā€™m sorry but you donā€™t get to choose ā€˜yourā€™ definition over ā€˜theā€™ definition.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
But you havnt done any of the above just took a wild guess at it
The risk that any of my property could be an increased danger to others due to the unusually high winds during the course of the storm was enough for me to introduce the control measure to reduce that possible.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
furnature isn't property, but the whole nature if the thread is risk to person, isn't it?
You didn't read that very well - just looking for something to disagree with. The furniture is a risk (at 70 MPH) to his property. Could feasibly cause a risk to person, but risk to property affects people, too.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
a risk assessment is the combined effort of:
  1. identifying and analyzing potential (future) events or actions that may negatively impact individuals, assets, properties, and/or the environment and
  2. making judgments on the tolerability of the risk while considering influencing factors
Put in simpler terms, a risk assessment takes in account what can go wrong, how likely it is to happen, what the potential consequences are, and how tolerable the identified risk is. It also introduces control measures to eliminate or reduce any potential risk-related consequences.

So, the potential of the heavy winds and increased possibility of twisters or tornadoes causing the furniture to become airborne objects and causing damage to other parts of my property or someone else's property or even an individual was such that I secured them in a manner that I assessed to greatly reduced that possibility.
And typical risk mitigation plans balance potential risk against the cost of mitigation. Moving furniture is a very low-cost mitigation, so worth doing in almost any situation where there's some reasonable risk.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
And typical risk mitigation plans balance potential risk against the cost of mitigation. Moving furniture is a very low-cost mitigation, so worth doing in almost any situation where there's some reasonable risk.
At least to the reasonable and responsible person.

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've just had a quick Google hurricane Harvey affected 13 million people and had a death toll of 88 which is shame, but at 12 per million , it's not a high chance of it being you or anyone you know , so not really worth getting in state worrying over
The death toll is lower because of risk mitigation. When people don't pay attention to them, the death toll, injury rate, and loss of property increases.

You know, that's really the point of this thread, I think, and you've missed it entirely.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
The death toll is lower because of risk mitigation. When people don't pay attention to them, the death toll, injury rate, and loss of property increases.

You know, that's really the point of this thread, I think, and you've missed it entirely.
Nah...he knows. He just has to be correct...no matter what.

D

Deleted member 39746

well see post above, are these " things " more likely and if they are how more likely?.

See crime statistics with statistics of how likely it is you will die in a fire/how likely one is, flood, earthquake, hurricane, obesity or any other thing.

To a lot of people they have more of a chance of dying to being overweight and related issues with it than being murdered, the overall violent crime statics of the U.S and U.K are pretty low in comparison to other periods as far as i can recall.

Obviously if you live in a place with constant gang shootings and stabbings etc it might be more likely you get attacked than a heart attack, but if you don't it could be the reverse or if you live in a rural place in the U.S natural disasters and animals might be more likely for you to die.

It really is more of a area/person/circumstance specific thing. and to some degree someone living in a different circumstance cannot provide full advice or a extensive list of what to do as its really dependent on your situation. Can only give them the skills to adapt to their situation really and to have them trust their own judgement etc. (wording got a little jumbled up)

Last edited by a moderator:

Buka

Sr. Grandmaster
Staff member
MT Mentor
Reaction score
Batten down them hatches, stay safe @ Danny.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
And @DANNY t, do not go out and practice forms on the rooftop in the wind. It'd make a cool scene, but somebody else's lawn chairs will want to test your stances.
Nah...those days are over. I'm content with sitting in my family room watching the wind blow through the trees. Unfortunately I keep losing the internet. We are high, dry, and protected. So overall we are good.

Latest Discussions