Evaluating Risk

Gerry Seymour

MT Moderator
Staff member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
no if one was coming my way id move, in much the same way as I would if it was a big truck
, my advice to people who lived in a tornado area, would be to take sensible precaution but accept there are far high risks in your life that you might want to worry about first,, so quit smoking/ drinkingg and sugar if you really want the most years out of your life, as all of those will most surly reduce your life span if measured cumlativly and in sure that alcohol related deaths exceed twister deaths in any given year or cumulatively
You really don't know how fast those things move, do you? Trying to outrun one is actually a good way to increase your risk.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
LOL...you may not believe it jobo but I don't spend a great deal of my time checking on your posts, edits you do, or time my any of my responses to any of them.

Knowing a tropical storm now upgrade to a hurricane just in the past few minutes is a probability in my area I did following in the past 30 hours;
at my business, removed all the flags and banners we have in the front of the building to prevent them from being tattered in the abnormally high winds. Removed the lettering in the marquis signs so as to now lose them due to the abnormally high winds. Picked up and stored inside some of the outside equipment in our outside training areas to protect them from the abnormally high winds.

At my home; picked up and stored the outside furniture and loose yard items we have. Added several additional braces to the wood fence around the perimeter of my yard to assure it not being blown over in the abnormally high winds. Closed the shutters to protect the windows on the house from flying debris from the winds or the possibility of spinoff tornadoes.

Helped my brother who lives in a lower lying area do some sandbagging due to the possibility of flooding in his area.
Helped a elderly neighbor assure her home was protected by picking up her outside furniture and storing it for her and helped board her windows.

Filled up the generator, addition fuel containers, knowing we would mostly likely lose electricity for as much as 3 days.

Removed my boat from the inlet water dock and stored it.
ok so you've rescued some furniture, non if it life threatening to to you, !

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
You really don't know how fast those things move, do you? Trying to outrun one is actually a good way to increase your risk.
I didnot say iud out run it, I said id move, but how does running increSe your risk as opposed to standing still, if its coming straight at me, not being in the spot where is passing would seem to increase my chances considerably. do they move faster than big trucks, ?

Last edited:

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahahahaha. Typical.
It is such statements that make conversation with you difficult.
If I don't put My trash, bin away promptly the kids will nick it , that's as relivant to risk assessment , as sayibg the wind may blow your deck chair away

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
In the past 30 minutes the winds have increased to approx 50 miles per hour sustained and increasing. Will be up to approx 70 mph. Raining heavy now. We will be under this for the next 10-12 hours. Rain fall is expected to be about 24 inches during that period of time. Electricity is down however we have a generator and fuel.
Does the municipality voluntarily pull the power for safety?

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Uncivil behavior
So information should be ignored unless it proves to be useful? That's going to make it tricky to determine which is the useful information. Sometimes, the usefulness is that it tells you you're not at risk.
@jobo , you are the living definition of ignorance is bliss. You clearly have no idea how absolutely stupid you sound.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
@jobo , you are the living definition of ignorance is bliss. You clearly have no idea how absolutely stupid you sound.
That's not me you've quoted and calling stupid ?
So it's either Gerry or your to stupid to work the quote button, up to this point, we were doing fine with out personal attacks

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
If I don't put My trash, bin away promptly the kids will nick it , that's as relivant to risk assessment , as sayibg the wind may blow your deck chair away
Hahahaha.
And the risk assessment isn't about the wind blowing anything away. It is about the thing being an object that causes damage to property and/or individuals.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
So information should be ignored unless it proves to be useful? That's going to make it tricky to determine which is the useful information. Sometimes, the usefulness is that it tells you you're not at risk.
That's not what I said, nor is it a reasonable interpretation from the context of the discussion.
But , you takes in millions of bits of information in day and ignore the vast majority of it,

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
Hahahaha.
And the risk assessment isn't about the wind blowing anything away. It is about the thing being an object that causes damage to property and/or individuals.
Ok so what's have you evaluated the risk if your deck chair injuring a person as ! I mean that's almost incalculable , but you must have done it, to say you have assessed it

dvcochran

Grandmaster
Reaction score
That's not me you've quoted and calling stupid ?
So it's either Gerry or your to stupid to work the quote button, up to this point, we were doing fine with out personal attacks
Just trying to do you a favor Jobo.

Danny T

Senior Master
Reaction score
Ok so what's have you evaluated the risk if your deck chair injuring a person as ! I mean that's almost incalculable , but you must have done it, to say you have assessed it
a risk assessment is the combined effort of:
  1. identifying and analyzing potential (future) events or actions that may negatively impact individuals, assets, properties, and/or the environment and
  2. making judgments on the tolerability of the risk while considering influencing factors
Put in simpler terms, a risk assessment takes in account what can go wrong, how likely it is to happen, what the potential consequences are, and how tolerable the identified risk is. It also introduces control measures to eliminate or reduce any potential risk-related consequences.

So, the potential of the heavy winds and increased possibility of twisters or tornadoes causing the furniture to become airborne objects and causing damage to other parts of my property or someone else's property or even an individual was such that I secured them in a manner that I assessed to greatly reduced that possibility.

jobo

Grandmaster
Reaction score
a risk assessment is the combined effort of:
  1. identifying and analyzing potential (future) events or actions that may negatively impact individuals, assets, properties, and/or the environment and
  2. making judgments on the tolerability of the risk while considering influencing factors
Put in simpler terms, a risk assessment takes in account what can go wrong, how likely it is to happen, what the potential consequences are, and how tolerable the identified risk is. It also introduces control measures to eliminate or reduce any potential risk-related consequences.

So, the potential of the heavy winds and increased possibility of twisters or tornadoes causing the furniture to become airborne objects and causing damage to other parts of my property or someone else's property or even an individual was such that I secured them in a manner that I assessed to greatly reduced that possibility.
Very good, you can work Google now apply that to how you assessed the likely hood of your deck chair injuring someone , you could start with find ding out how many deck chair/ wind related hospital admission there are in a year and how many flying deck chairs there are per casualty